Female Miami Fan gets TKO'd

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
That's 100% inaccurate. It's not black and white. There is a line that needs to be crossed before"heavy force" can be used. Every situation takes judgement, and at no time were any of these cops in any sort of danger that required them to take the action they did.
This is legally inaccurate. You are applying a standard that would apply to you and me to a police officer. Police officers are entitled to use heavy force when assaulted. Cops don’t have to wait until ‘required’ to use force as the situation has escalated too far at that point.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Cops are there to enforce the law, not administer retaliatory punishment. Male or female, the accused should have been restrained properly and charged with assaulting a police officer. Since the cop took the law into his own hands and assaulted her in retaliation/punishment for her action, should she still be punished/charged for the assault? After she hit him, they should have put her down, handcuffed her, and book her for assaulting a police officer.

If the cop knocking her out is his way to stop her from her behavior, he sucks as a police officer. They failed at restraining her properly. Period. In the end, disproportionate use of force is, at the very least, clear in this situation.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Honestly, if any other guy had done that in retaliation for a couple quick slaps to the head, they would be going to jail. Police officers should not get a pass in that circumstance either. They do have the authority to use force, but that force must be judiciously used, and that does not look to be the case here.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It’s 2017, not 1950. Women are now considered equal to men, although I know some men hold on to protectionism and the attitude of superiority it feasts upon.

If women are now considered equal to men physically, then people are ignoring biology.

People can not like it, but people like me still happily believe in chivalry and that women should be treated differently than men, especially physically. Even in 2017!

Reactions: ILikeCy

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
It took 3 or 4 large police officers/ security guards to haul a drunk hottie out of the stadium?

Back in my day at ISU, all I did was tell her she was beautiful and she left with me willingly!! No help needed by anyone else.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
This is legally inaccurate. You are applying a standard that would apply to you and me to a police officer. Police officers are entitled to use heavy force when assaulted. Cops don’t have to wait until ‘required’ to use force as the situation has escalated too far at that point.

Please show me the section of any state code that gives cops the blanket right to use "heavy force" anytime they are assaulted. Cops go through heavy training to learn when to, and when not to use heavy force. They are trained to use discretion; its not black and white. You will never convince me that slugging this girl in the head and knocking her unconscious was the right course of action, especially when grabbing her wrist, which they should of had restrained in the first place, would of had the same effect in deescalating the situation.

Reactions: wxman1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
My toddler hits and kicks me all of the time (not a fan of bedtime or wearing clothes at times) I don't go hitting him. I show restraint, maturity and authority and handle it differently.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Please show me the section of any state code that gives cops the blanket right to use "heavy force" anytime they are assaulted. Cops go through heavy training to learn when to, and when not to use heavy force. They are trained to use discretion; its not black and white. You will never convince me that slugging this girl in the head and knocking her unconscious was the right course of action, especially when grabbing her wrist, which they should of had restrained in the first place, would of had the same effect in deescalating the situation.
Iowa code 804.8: A police officer, while making a lawful arrest, is justified in the use of any force which the peace officer reasonably believes to be necessary to effect the arrest or to defend any person from bodily harm while making the arrest.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Bad things are going to happen if you attack a police officer.

I definitely see both sides of it. You just can't go after a Police Officer. She may not look like a threat in that situation, but if she starts going off flailing/kicking/punching, she could cause people to fall down stairs or other injuries to people in tight quarters. However, I can see how some take issue with him swinging at her....I obviously am not trained at all in these situations, but is there a better way to control her than do that?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Reading some of the "she deserved it" posts makes me wonder if I've accidentally stumbled onto the West Virginia board this morning.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Iowa code 804.8: A police officer, while making a lawful arrest, is justified in the use of any force which the peace officer reasonably believes to be necessary to effect the arrest or to defend any person from bodily harm while making the arrest.

What we see in the video is not reasonable force.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

If you interrupt that to mean "heavy force" is allowed anytime a cop is touched or assaulted, then you'd be wrong. Like I said, grab her wrist and fully detain her; that is reasonable. Punching her in the head and knocking her unconscious is not reasonable.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: jkclone and GTO

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
If you interrupt that to mean "heavy force" is allowed anytime a cop is touched or assaulted, then you'd be wrong. Like I said, grab her wrist and fully detain her; that is reasonable. Punching her in the head and knocking her unconscious is not reasonable.
I dont think you understand how rarely officers are charged and even more rarely convicted of unreasonable force, particular when they are assaulted during an arrest. They are given wide latitude in those situations. The standard isn’t what you find reasonable. It’s what the officer found reasonable.

Do you really expect him to be charged?

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

To play a bit of Devil's Advocate here...

It's hard to see where her slap hit. Is it not possible the cop was hit in the eye and was concerned about that? If he was raked across the eye wouldn't he want to stop that immediately if his vision could be damaged?

• Agree
Reactions: Spanky

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I dont think you understand how rarely officers are charged and even more rarely convicted of unreasonable force, particular when they are assaulted during an arrest. They are given wide latitude in those situations. The standard isn’t what you find reasonable. It’s what the officer found reasonable.

Expect him to be charged? No. Expect him to be disciplined somehow and go through some kind of recurrent training to address the issue? Yup.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

I never once said I expect him to be charged with a crime. He wont be. However, suspension and/or additional training required should happen. What he did was unreasonable, and he had many other options at his disposal which would of deescalated the situation. Force was most definitely needed, but not to the level he used.