Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Ryegrass or bluegrass? Ryegrass will pop right up but KBG will take it's sweet ******* time. I usually never try to seed KBG in the spring.
Fwiw I used a sunny blend of Bluegrass/Perenial Rye grass/ Hybrid turf type fescue.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ryegrass or bluegrass? Ryegrass will pop right up but KBG will take it's sweet ******* time. I usually never try to seed KBG in the spring.
I did KBG with some annual rye and fescue and also some perennial rye and fescue. The P rye and fescue will die off after about 5-7 years for the most part. It will make the lawn not as soft right away but will establish it quicker.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
All right turf gurus……

WTH is this and what is effective at killing it?

Every year it seems to grow and spread despite my best efforts to eradicate. Roots are deep and it is a mother to pull.

Obviously not doing something right….
TIA

IMG_0737.jpeg

Last edited:

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I think it's black medic. I had some in my yard. I pull them before they get too established, otherwise something with dicamba.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
All right turf gurus……

WTH is this and what is effective at killing it?

Every year it seems to grow and spread despite my best efforts to eradicate. Roots ar deep and it is a mother to pull.

Obviously not doing something right….
TIA

View attachment 113009
It’s black medic. Use a weed killer that is safe for lawns. I prefer 1684034465561.png but anything you get at a garden center should do the trick.

Reactions: khardbored

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’ve got some Callisto to spot spray the crabgrass that made it through the weed and feed. Any experience on a mix per gallon? I just don’t want to burn the **** out of the ground where nothing comes back up again.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I typically put the weed and feed down around memorial day. But with as dry as it is, will the fertilizer do any good? Or will it actually hurt things? We've been watering some, but it's still really dry.

Reactions: khardbored

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I’ve got some Callisto to spot spray the crabgrass that made it through the weed and feed. Any experience on a mix per gallon? I just don’t want to burn the **** out of the ground where nothing comes back up again.
According to the labels, Callisto and Tenacity both contain 4 lbs of Meso per gallon. Since tenacity is labeled for turfgrass I would use that one as your guide for mixing. Good chance it'll flash your grass for a couple weeks even at labeled rates if it's the first time the grass has ever seen the chemical.

Reactions: AgronAlum

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I typically put the weed and feed down around memorial day. But with as dry as it is, will the fertilizer do any good? Or will it actually hurt things? We've been watering some, but it's still really dry.
My cheap lawn guy (who I forgot to call and tell him not to come this year because I am going to do it myself) came and put fertilizer down yesterday. I wondered the same thing with the lack of moisture. I watered some this morning hoping the lawn takes up some of what the guy put down. Maybe it was a waste but it makes sense to me. If the lawn isn't growing I don't know what good the fertilizer can do.

titleist

Dec 31, 2008
Ames
Lawn experts -

I just found a Scotts Step 2 bag in my garage. Can I apply that now in mid-July in Ames or will it damage my lawn? I don't necessarily care if I 'waste' it since it's a bit of bonus that I found it. I just don't want it to burn or damage my lawn.

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
Lawn experts -

I just found a Scotts Step 2 bag in my garage. Can I apply that now in mid-July in Ames or will it damage my lawn? I don't necessarily care if I 'waste' it since it's a bit of bonus that I found it. I just don't want it to burn or damage my lawn.
It depends on the make up of the fertilizer. If it is slow release nitrogen then it would be ok. If not then it could hurt your lawn or be useless. The fertilizer should have 3 numbers like say 20-0-8. The first one is nitrogen, the second phosphorus, and the third potassium. If it is a lower nitrogen or higher potassium then it would be ok to apply so long as the nitrogen is slow release. If it is a heavy nitrogen fertilizer I would wait until until it cools down and we get some rain unless you really want to use it now for some reason (and honestly I would wait regardless of the make up of the fertilizer).

Reactions: titleist

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
Lawn experts -

Scotts step 2 is a spring application if i remember correctly. Also has granular 2,4-D for killing weeds. Google search suggests the fert. analysis is 28-0-3. If i were you, i would apply in early fall in prep for halloween or late fall as a winterizer. super high nitrogen in the summer will push growth you don't want. wait till fall and let the roots store it for spring.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Scotts step 2 is a spring application if i remember correctly. Also has granular 2,4-D for killing weeds. Google search suggests the fert. analysis is 28-0-3. If i were you, i would apply in early fall in prep for halloween or late fall as a winterizer. super high nitrogen in the summer will push growth you don't want. wait till fall and let the roots store it for spring.
This is the way.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
2,4-D in the fall will help with dandelion control too if the yard has them.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron