Figure Skating

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
I love watching the Olympics but I truly don't get figure skating at all. The judging makes absolutely no sense to me. The couple from Canada just skated and the girl fell and there was obviously mess ups in other parts of the program but yet they get a 3rd place score. The american couple that skated earlier skated a nearly flawless routine and the get a score almost 10 points lower? Don't get it.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Probably having to do with the difficulty of the routine or something.

I dunno. Ever since that one couple got literally hosed out of the gold back in 2002, I think it was?.....through that conspiracy involving one of the judges, its hard to take figure skating seriously (not that I did before).

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
I was thinking the same thing. My wife is making me sit through this crap. Just like gymnastics, its all up to the judges scores, regardless of who did the best.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I love watching the Olympics but I truly don't get figure skating at all. The judging makes absolutely no sense to me. The couple from Canada just skated and the girl fell and there was obviously mess ups in other parts of the program but yet they get a 3rd place score. The american couple that skated earlier skated a nearly flawless routine and the get a score almost 10 points lower? Don't get it.

i think that degree of difficulty really factors in, but I agree the scoring is a little interesting.

Human judges, by nature, cannot be objective.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
I was thinking the same thing. My wife is making me sit through this crap. Just like gymnastics, its all up to the judges scores, regardless of who did the best.

I with you...I don't like the figure staking but my wife makes me sit throw it. I understand the difficulty thing but I didn't see the Canadians do anything more difficult than the others (especially the Americans) but I guess I just don't know **** about figure skating. The commentators where shocked with the score as well. :confused:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Judged sports can be a crapshoot sometimes. You really have to look at all the subscores to understand why, and even then... (this coming from someone who follows a non-olympic 'judged sport' every summer.