Final 10 minutes last 8 games

Sorg4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 25, 2015
In the last 8 games we are 3-5 and have been outscored in the last 10 minutes of the game in 7 of those 8 games. Before CF whines about another depth post lets just look at the numbers.

WV outscored us 30-18
TCU outscored us 29-27
Baylor outscored us 28-18
ISU outscored Texas 29-19
Tx Tech outscored us 16-10
OK St outscored us 24-16
WV outscored us 25-21
Tx A&M outscored us 24-11

Average outscored 18.75-24.38

Another thing that stood out to me was CSP seems to be calling a timeout just before the under 12 media timeout as a way to get an extended breather for the players in the 2nd half. People can ***** and moan all they want about this team under preforming and CSP not being a good coach but when your players are gassed what exactly is a coach to do? I think CSP has done what he could with what he has and think that the ISU fan base had some pretty unreasonable expectations about this being THE YEAR! No team, no coach, could make it through this tough conference with with 6 players who can produce effectively. A lot of people around here need to temper expectations and realize what kind of hurdles have been thrown at CSP!

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
I still think Prohm could do better with substitution patterns, which could possibly correct this issue. Cooke, Ashton and carter are all division 1 athletes. No reason they can't play 10 minutes consistently to spell the starters. It's not like the defense could get much worse. Also, giving monte the ball in crunch time instead of Georges is killing us.

andymhallman

Nov 28, 2012
Fairfield, Iowa
There's little doubt that the late game issues have been related to fatigue. Hopefully we have McKay back for the home stretch, and can get 10-15 quality minutes out of Hallice and Ashton. Do that, and I think we're in good shape.

It appears Prohm has no faith in Cooke, and only a little faith in Ashton. Yesterday, the Clones played perhaps the deepest team in the league with 20 minutes from McKay, three from Ashton and less than one from Cooke. If that wasn't the game to use your bench, I don't know what is.

The losses aren't so frustrating as the way we lose. If the coach tried different strategies and they all failed, I would be content that he was trying and that he was simply handed a mediocre Big 12 team. Let's play Cooke and Carter for a few more minutes and see if we can lose that way, too.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I still think Prohm could do better with substitution patterns, which could possibly correct this issue. Cooke, Ashton and carter are all division 1 athletes. No reason they can't play 10 minutes consistently to spell the starters. It's not like the defense could get much worse. Also, giving monte the ball in crunch time instead of Georges is killing us.

I agree about sub patterns. I think where depth hurts most is defense bc they can't afford to get in foul trouble. The defense is best when McKay is playing but he kept picking up fouls last night. He really needs to play closer to 30 minutes

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
It appears Prohm has no faith in Cooke, and only a little faith in Ashton. Yesterday, the Clones played perhaps the deepest team in the league with 20 minutes from McKay, three from Ashton and less than one from Cooke. If that wasn't the game to use your bench, I don't know what is.

The losses aren't so frustrating as the way we lose. If the coach tried different strategies and they all failed, I would be content that he was trying and that he was simply handed a mediocre Big 12 team. Let's play Cooke and Carter for a few more minutes and see if we can lose that way, too.

Last night and at ku would be good times to try this theory. There really wasn't much to play for last night, just big 12 seeding. I would say the game at ku would be a good chance to get Carter in, because their front court is so weak. However, it's a tough environment, and the last game of the year is a little late to try new things.

I do think part of the problem is the main players are playing pretty well throughout the first 30 minutes, and it looks like it's gunna come down to the end, but naturally they get tired and fade.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I'm guessing as a coach, it's just so easy to continue to let them play, as long as they look good, but by the end, when they're getting tired, it's too late, he has to keep them in.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
He's doing fine. If Naz is here we aren't looking near as bad. Frustrating at times and Prohm isn't perfect, but he's doing fine.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I just don't understand Prohm's substitution pattern...or should I say lack thereof.

At this point in the season, shouldn't this be worked out??

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

There's reasons but whatever.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Jameel only being able to play 20 minutes last night hurt. I think if he stays out of foul trouble the minutes would have been broken up much better. Georges played 34 minutes which I think 32-34 minutes is a good spot for him

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Little faith can mean several things. No faith that they can play for a few minutes at this level, or no faith that they can conduct themselves according to his standards to earn playing time? I think with Hallice, it is the latter.

reignofthetiger

Apr 24, 2010
Carmel, IN
Jameel only being able to play 20 minutes last night hurt. I think if he stays out of foul trouble the minutes would have been broken up much better. Georges played 34 minutes which I think 32-34 minutes is a good spot for him

I agree this would have been a big help if Jameel wasn't in foul trouble, but did you see the fouls they called on him? 3 of them were beyond weak. When calls are going that way I'm not sure he could have done anything to avoid foul trouble last night.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
But when does he substitute Ashton and Cooke? When we down by 5? When scores are level? When we are up by 5?

Against TCU he substituted when we were up by 12. Shouldn't have done that, said CF. Should have kept the starters in there and put the game completely out of reach for TCU.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I just don't understand Prohm's substitution pattern...or should I say lack thereof.

At this point in the season, shouldn't this be worked out??

I think that's a legitimate point. Depth should be developed throughout the season and now we're at the point where especially Carter and Cooke have played so little that it's more risky to play them in close games, which is pretty much every game. Yet it's still worth a try imo because foul trouble and wearing down is costing us games.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
In the last 8 games we are 3-5 and have been outscored in the last 10 minutes of the game in 7 of those 8 games. Before CF whines about another depth post lets just look at the numbers. WV outscored us 30-18 TCU outscored us 29-27 Baylor outscored us 28-18 ISU outscored Texas 29-19 Tx Tech outscored us 16-10 OK St outscored us 24-16 WV outscored us 25-21 Tx A&M outscored us 24-11 Average outscored 18.75-24.38 Another thing that stood out to me was CSP seems to be calling a timeout just before the under 12 media timeout as a way to get an extended breather for the players in the 2nd half. People can ***** and moan all they want about this team under preforming and CSP not being a good coach but when your players are gassed what exactly is a coach to do? I think CSP has done what he could with what he has and think that the ISU fan base had some pretty unreasonable expectations about this being THE YEAR! No team, no coach, could make it through this tough conference with with 6 players who can produce effectively. A lot of people around here need to temper expectations and realize what kind of hurdles have been thrown at CSP!
Naz Long hips. Hallice Cooke suspension. McKays rebellion. Too late intro Deonte. Lack of kapow from Ashton. That is all it took to take this team down.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
But when does he substitute Ashton and Cooke? When we down by 5? When scores are level? When we are up by 5?

Against TCU he substituted when we were up by 12. Shouldn't have done that, said CF. Should have kept the starters in there and put the game completely out of reach for TCU.

Though that was the perfect time to do it, but under no circumstances should we have any combination of Ashton, Cooke or Carter on the floor together.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think that's a legitimate point. Depth should be developed throughout the season and now we're at the point where especially Carter and Cooke have played so little that it's more risky to play them in close games, which is pretty much every game. Yet it's still worth a try imo because foul trouble and wearing down is costing us games.
I hope to see lots of Carter near future. Why not?