Finding a Wii

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Should be easy now that Christmas is over and done with, but I have no idea where to start. All the places I've called responded with a quick, static "No we don't have them, and no we don't know when more are coming". I've learned that calling and asking for a Wii will not get you anywhere, even if they do in fact have them in the back. Does anyone have any experience in finding one, or know of any stores that will be getting shipments soon?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
target, first thing sunday mornings.

Or those little gamerz, gamespot stores, they tend to have them, and no one thinks of them. I bet it will really loosen up in the next month or two.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Someone at work said that they were taking reservations at Gamestop and you could pick them up when they some in. I cannot confirm nor deny if its true though.

I know a few people that have them, and they both got them in the early morning hours at Target. I think on Sundays.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
My bro-in-law just went to target first thing on a few sunday mornings, by the third week he had one.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Look in the sunday ads for best buy, target, etc. If they advertise the actual game system that means each store anticipates having their national shipment in. Show up about thirty minutes before the store opens that Sunday and you should have yourself a wii.

Somebody mentioned Target, and that is a great place. I know the store where I lived had 87 on sale two weeks before christmas and it is a smaller market store. I know at Best Buy the minimum amount per store is 15. Also, to ensure that the stores do have the system in stock when headquarters decides to advertise it, alot of stores will have some in stock at all times from recieving shipments at various times but they refuse to sell them until the ad date.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I know a couple days ago the gamerz fere in town had a huge banner out front saying they had Wii's in stock. But I don't know if they still do.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I know a couple days ago the gamerz fere in town had a huge banner out front saying they had Wii's in stock. But I don't know if they still do.

They're the only place that I called that said they had them. The catch was that they were selling it as a bundle with some no-name games that bumped the price up by $100. Uhh, no thanks. :yes:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I think that if any of us see a Wii in a store... we should just buy it and then resell it to another person on CF! Seems like there is always someone trying to get one.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
Beware, it's still not going to be easy to find one.

I got mine about four or five days after Christmas last year, and I got lucky. I still didn't see them out around until mid-July. I'm sure it'll be better this year, but I'd go around to the Targets and Wal-Marts in the area and ask them when they get their shipments in. For some, it's early mornings on a specific day (like Sunday as people in this thread have said), sometimes they get stock in during the week in the early afternoon (like 1 or 2 p.m.). Just keep checking back and be patient.

I actually gave up searching last year. Went into Target for other items, glanced over at electronics, and saw a shelf full. Bolted over there, grabbed someone, and got one. Actually, if you're in a major store and you don't have one already, apply for a store (like Target) credit card when you buy the Wii. You get something like 20% off your first purchase. I went to the counter, applied, got enough back for some Wii points or the Wi-Fi USB connector, went to the front, and paid the balance off with the cash I had to buy it. Worked out pretty well.

Happy hunting!

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
Some things I've picked up.

A) Toys R Us gets deliveries on Sundays. Call them or go there that day.

B) The south side Toys R Us is a better place to find things. I've had more luck there than the one in West Des Moines. In fact, a lady helping me there told me to check the south side sot first because, "People on the south side can't afford the things that people on the west side can. They tend to forget that we're down here."

C) Last thing. Gamestop is taking reservations. THey have been promised by the Nintendo Corporation that they will have them in stock and will keep them in stock after the new year.

Happy hunting.

CY ST8T

Mar 23, 2006
If you want to pay a little premium they have them on craigslist all the time and the prices are moving down now that Christmas is over. My parents picked up one for $320 the day before Christmas and now I am seeing them on there at $275 to $300. An extra $25 is probably worth the gas of driving to a few places and sitting outside for 30 minutes prior to opening to find out they don't have one.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
Some things I've picked up.

B) The south side Toys R Us is a better place to find things. I've had more luck there than the one in West Des Moines. In fact, a lady helping me there told me to check the south side sot first because, "People on the south side can't afford the things that people on the west side can. They tend to forget that we're down here."

I hope this is true... because I live near there and I do have the money to spend.

jakemcilroy

Nov 26, 2006
I was in Best Buy in Iowa City today. As I was looking for some other things, they wheeled out a cart of Wii's. They put out 10-12 or so. I thought it was "convenient" they were putting some Wii's the day after Christmas. I picked one up, looked at it, knew I could probably find someone to pay for it, but didn't pull the trigger...sorry.

Happy Hunting. I'm gonna buy a PS3.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I was in Best Buy in Iowa City today. As I was looking for some other things, they wheeled out a cart of Wii's. They put out 10-12 or so. I thought it was "convenient" they were putting some Wii's the day after Christmas. I picked one up, looked at it, knew I could probably find someone to pay for it, but didn't pull the trigger...sorry.

Man, that makes me sick! Knowing my luck, the Best Buy I actually went to this morning probably rolled out a cache of Wiis as soon as I left!

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com

What time? I stopped there today as I was passing by... about 10 am.