Finding Food Item from Childhood help

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Fryums? Come in different shapes and flavors.
colorful-variety-of-fryums-ready-to-fry-snacks-in-clear-bags-for-sale.jpg
These are also similar, but not exactly. Also appears these are a type of Indian food? Not sure small town Iowa would be venturing into what would be considered quite exotic at that time. (hell, for that area it would still be considered quite exotic, LOL)

It is a good guess though. As both the above prawn chips and these have certain aspects that would be similar. I'm sure someone else had to have had them too, but if they did stop making them all together when they became unavailable where I got them, its been a long time.

But we are definitely in the ballpark.

Reactions: Angie

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Someone needs to find me Good n' Fruities.

Edit: noticed it says out of stock, I went to 5 different websites that say they sell them, all currently out of stock.

They appear to be made currently, at least on occasion, but limited stock. Watching for them they might show up at one of the online shops.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Those kinda look like colored Munchos.

The childhood chips I miss the most are O'Boises. I loved those things!
LOVED O'Boises. They were very crumbly, bubbly, salty. Pizzarias were bomb too.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
LOVED O'Boises. They were very crumbly, bubbly, salty. Pizzarias were bomb too.
O'Boises... There's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Definitely remember Pizzerias too.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
O'Boises... There's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Definitely remember Pizzerias too.
It was always a treat when mom would get those. Mom usually purchased the 3bags in a box FASTCO regular chips. As a kid those were meh.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It was always a treat when mom would get those. Mom usually purchased the 3bags in a box FASTCO regular chips. As a kid those were meh.
I've previously told my kids "When I was young, chips came in boxes." And then they ask me if I fought in World War 1, and we all have a good laugh, until I start crying because I'm only in my 40s.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've previously told my kids "When I was young, chips came in boxes." And then they ask me if I fought in World War 1, and we all have a good laugh, until I start crying because I'm only in my 40s.
Same. My dad never really ate junk food and my mom would buy them because they were cheap. Even a regular Lay's blew those away.

Reactions: Mr Janny

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Someone said those on previous page.

These are similar, but not quite the same.

The ones Im thinking if I remember had more of a corn chip texture (my sister disagrees, LOL)
Also dont think small town Iowa had Indian or Chinese or Japanese or any kind of that sort of what they would considered very exotic food in the 70s and 80s.

But this is on the right track. Very similar, not in specific shapes, colors dark standard colors, Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, are the ones I specifically remember. Fried.

Very similar to this though. Probably purchased/ordered from a place like Martin Bros distributing or Hewitt Wholesale would be my guess in Mason City as something they carried in the late 70s early 80s.

Which gives me an Idea, maybe I should contact them and ask. LOL

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Same. My dad never really ate junk food and my mom would buy them because they were cheap. Even a regular Lay's blew those away.
My mom bought a lot of boxed chips like this when I was a kid. As well as other things from the warehouse etc. in the old generic black and white packaging.

Remember the 8 packs of pop that we would have on our basement steps, that my sister and I would get to SHARE a bottle maybe on a Friday or Saturday night as a treat!

How times have changed.

1674789938621.png

Reactions: Angie

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
These are also similar, but not exactly. Also appears these are a type of Indian food? Not sure small town Iowa would be venturing into what would be considered quite exotic at that time. (hell, for that area it would still be considered quite exotic, LOL)

It is a good guess though. As both the above prawn chips and these have certain aspects that would be similar. I'm sure someone else had to have had them too, but if they did stop making them all together when they became unavailable where I got them, its been a long time.

But we are definitely in the ballpark.
A big question is, how old were you? I know there are things I remember from my youth and when I would experience it again 20 years later as an adult, it wasn't as good as I remembered or like I remembered.