Firing CPR is a big mistake

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
Sure, he wet the bed... But he put the ball in the hands of our best players. He took us to three bowls, had one season where we were a 5 yard wide open pass away from bowling and this season where we were three bounces away from bowling. That is unprecedented in ISU history. Sure, we had two bad seasons. The players love the guy and we were vastly improved this season. Are we really going to find another guy who loves the school and is dedicated to the job? I think that they should have at least waited another week instead of the knee jerk reaction. I am equally not happy about the tweet from Mangino and hate to see him proved right. Just don't like the feel of this all around. We should pay a heck of a lot of attention to what Lazard and Warren think. I was really on the fire CPR bandwagon at one point this season. Now it just doesn't feel right to replace him.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
It's pathetic how much the culture of losing has sunk into this fan base.

fenton06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2011
Ankeny, IA
GTFO of here with this crap.. I was on the keep CPR bandwagon, but the HORRIBLE game management the last 2 games can't be excused. Ever.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
It'll be alright, im sure we can worst case scenario find someone else to win 3 games next year.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
I would be on the Sage bandwagon. I guess that I have been an Iowa State fan for too long... Having the biggest loss in ISU history doesn't help. But two bad seasons isn't the end of the world in Ames.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
"Loves the school"? and "is dedicated to his job"?

This isn't small high school stuff, coaching is about winning and losing. As much as college should probably be about the student athletes, it's not. It's a business, and wins are needed.

Fire a coach that can't win, hire a new one. If he can't win, then you fire him too, and keep hiring until you get it right.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Sure, he wet the bed... But he put the ball in the hands of our best players. He took us to three bowls, had one season where we were a 5 yard wide open pass away from bowling and this season where we were three bounces away from bowling. That is unprecedented in ISU history. Sure, we had two bad seasons. The players love the guy and we were vastly improved this season. Are we really going to find another guy who loves the school and is dedicated to the job? I think that they should have at least waited another week instead of the knee jerk reaction. I am equally not happy about the tweet from Mangino and hate to see him proved right. Just don't like the feel of this all around. We should pay a heck of a lot of attention to what Lazard and Warren think. I was really on the fire CPR bandwagon at one point this season. Now it just doesn't feel right to replace him.

Assuming we lose next week, he has also been 10 wins away from bowl games the past three years. This isn't 2011 anymore.

These players aren't Tom Brady. Putting the balls in your playmakers doesn't equal good coaching, or wins.

Its coaching your best players to make good decisions and to come up with a good game plan and to make adjustments every week. Not to mention DEVELOP players. How many players have regressed over the last few years? Too many to count. Paul has done none of these consistently enough to coach at this level.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The guy is 3-13 in games decided by 7 pts or less. That is inexcusable.

There are WAY too many "what if's" in your original post. He needed to turn more of those "what if's" into wins to keep his job. He gave JP no other choice. JP wanted to keep him and gave him more than enough chances.

Obviously we're all sad it didn't work out for him here. Everyone loved him and wanted to see him do well. But that isn't reason enough to keep him. It's unfortunate, but it's the way it is.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I think Paul did a good job of getting some holes plug on the D-line, and we had potency to look forward to on the offensive side of the ball. I wish things had gone differently to see that growth come to fruition, maybe he figures out the second half problems. It's a step others have made to go from losing the close ones to winning them, but he had a longer leash than most to get that done so hard to say this was a mistake.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Unfortunately it was time to part ways with CPR. He had so many opportunities to change the culture and then the 2nd halves of those games happened. As Clonedude said, 3-13 in close games is just being out coached. I truly like CPR as a person and I wish him and his family well in the future, but it was the right move for Iowa State football

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
He was our only shot at a Bill Snyder like turnaround. Because of that I would have been willing to give him one more year with the great returning roster that he brought to Ames. This season we had the most difficult schedule we've had and that's saying something. We also had an unreal amount of things go against us. Things that even bad coaching should be able to overcome. While watching any random game, how many times are coaching blunders made that you never notice because the kicker makes the chip shot anyway, the ref spots the ball where the runner actually went down, or the RB/QB don't fumble.

ISU football is a historical atrocity save for a couple flash in the pan above average years. There are ZERO significant outliers. As a person with a mathematical background (hell, just a person with a brain) it seems it's overwhelming unlikely that out next hire will bring us consistent success, and perhaps, likely that the excitement for ISU football and our record attendances will have diminished by the end of his tenure; possibly more than what it would after one more failed Rhoads season.

I understand the decision that was made because the evidence is mounting and the probability that he would have indeed turned things around was becoming very small. However, I'm not convinced that one more year, even though it would very possibly been just like the last 2, wouldn't have been worth it.

Oh well. It means nothing now, so here's to the future and Jaime finding the most deserving fan base in the country the coach it deserves.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Ya know, one thing I haven't seen anybody talking about--what happens to that poor kid who has to follow CPR around each game? His headset buddy? I hope we can get a good quality one for our next coach. Or maybe we can retain him?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
GTFO of here with this crap.. I was on the keep CPR bandwagon, but the HORRIBLE game management the last 2 games can't be excused. Ever.

Yep, it is like being put on probation at work and then showing up the next monday drunk smoking a joint with a hooker under your arm. Almost like you want to get fired.

Help Support Us

Become a patron