First family vacation in Florida

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I'm starting to plan our first family vacation for next summer now that the kids are old enough to appreciate and participate a bit more (they'll be 8 and 6). My wife grew up going to Siesta Key and is dead set that the trip be to Florida and that it involve the beach. We'll rent an SUV and road trip it. Right now I'm thinking private beach front condo on Carillon Beach near Panama City, that way we don't have to deal with public parking and big crowds. Also need to be close enough to some other attractions for the kids - aquariums, zoo, mini golf, whatever, fun kid stuff. Anybody have better suggestions? Places to avoid? Experiences to share? Tips along the way?
Florida in the summer? Woof!. That sounds more like hell than a vacation. We went in September one year and it was unbearably hot and humid even then.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Been to PCB often during the exact time you're talking about and with kids.

1 strongly recommend driving through the night if you can at all stomach it. Kids can't ***** when their sleeping and the traffic is 100x better

2 the place you mentioned is considerably north/west of any of your typical spring break partiers. We've never stayed that far up the beach but I've ran up there and it seemed really nice and chill actually. You might be in the middle of a bunch of retiree's actually which might be nice depending on what your looking for. We typically rented a condo in one of those high risers closer to the pier via Airbnb or similar site.

3 because you're that far west, you are a little bit of a drive from some things. Which isn't good or bad but you will want to know this as traffic/parking can be a pain in the ass. You ARE however near a freakin' amazing doughnut shop. (Donut Hole). You will want to go hear. You're welcome, it's probably a 5-10 minute drive at most

4 The restaurant sharky's is fun with kids, they get a frisbee with their kids meals. We still have some.

5 the water will be cold but you're wife's from Florida so I won't waste time tellin you about the beach.

6 Pier Park is like your uptown shopping area. You may want to keep you're wife the hell away from it or your trip will get more expensive

7 There is a really sweet looking state park (St. Andrews) that we've actually never done but I wanted to. They may have weird hours at the gate, one time I couldn't get in, you will want to confirm their open and it will be a decent drive from where you're staying.

8 You're probably 15ish minutes from a walmart which always feels good to know on a vacation. there's two of them and a target just to your west a little ways

9 OH!! There is a win dixie that is not far from you at all, this is the ticket for groceries if you don't need much. WAY less crowded and is a nice place (that walmart can get freakin nuts).

10 Nicks brooklyn pizza is good but I would argue Zollo's is better and I think it's cheaper.

DM and I can give you more info. I miss it down there.
Wow thanks! really appreciate all this info

Reactions: JM4CY

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Florida in the summer? Woof!. That sounds more like hell than a vacation. We went in September one year and it was unbearably hot and humid even then.
We're looking at June. Don't want to do spring break but need to wait til kids are out of school

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Wow thanks! really appreciate all this info
I'll add more as I think of this. We did this vacation (due to a couple of family-related factors) like 5 or 6 years in a row. I know the area well and dealt with multiple issues down there and could tell you how to solve them (i.e. flat tires, etc.) One year, we accidentally next to the spring break hub. HO Boy... was that something. "Sure, honey, I don't mind taking the kids to the beach by myself AT ALL...." (reality, it was the opposite, I wanted to get them the hell out of there)

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
What are some of the main differences? The place we're looking at is in between the two, about 20 miles from PC and 30 miles from Destin

As you go east from Destin you'll find that several black water lagoons drain into the Gulf, which starts to turn the color of the water a bit "browner". Not dramatically, but there is a difference. The actual beach starts to become more coarse versus Destin which is truly sugary sand.

And the further east your go the water is far rougher, even on the same day. Destin is shallower further out into the water which gives it a far prettier color, but that's what makes it calmer too. There are parts of Destin's beaches where you can go out appx 50yds from the beach and still be only chest deep, where PCB drops off much much quicker.

Reactions: GMackey32

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Having migrated north and south more times than I care to remember...

Atlanta has not been much of a problem. A few slowdowns at major highway intersections and downtown. I almost always have another person and just get into the diamond lane and go as fast as the person in front of you. (Not sure if you can do that in an RV). Also one cool thing about that is right were I-75 and I-85 veer apart there is actually a dedicated diamond lane ramp that takes you right to the diamond lane going south on I-75. Always good to avoid rush hours of course.

Nashville has always been worse. To stay on I-24 you literally have to be in left lanes, then right lanes, then left lanes type deal. You're always finding at the last minute that you need to get over. And I've had much worse traffic there than ever in Atlanta.

Chattanooga can also be a bit of a thing just S of the city at the GA border where I-24 and I-75 intersect. Always seems to be a backup there, especially going north.

I'm an odd ball. I prefer the Atlantic side beaches. Been here since 2011. Home/condo values have more than doubled since then (as have the HOAs, mostly thanks to insurance premiums).

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
As you go east from Destin you'll find that several black water lagoons drain into the Gulf, which starts to turn the color of the water a bit "browner". Not dramatically, but there is a difference. The actual beach starts to become more coarse versus Destin which is truly sugary sand.

And the further east your go the water is far rougher, even on the same day. Destin is shallower further out into the water which gives it a far prettier color, but that's what makes it calmer too. There are parts of Destin's beaches where you can go out appx 50yds from the beach and still be only chest deep, where PCB drops off much much quicker.
I was about 40 yards out last time there and a manatee came swimming right behind me. Scared the ever loving crap out of my friends. Good times.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Having migrated north and south more times than I care to remember.

Atlanta has not been much of a problem. A few slowdowns at major highway intersections and downtown. I almost always have another person and just get int the diamond lane and go as fast as the person in front of you. (Not sure if you can do that in an RV). Also one cool thing about that is right were I-75 and I-85 veer apart there is actually a dedicated diamond lane ramp that takes you right to the diamond lane going south on I-75. Always good to avoid rush hours of course.

Nashville has always been worse. To stay on I-24 you literally have to be in left lanes, then right lanes, then left lanes type deal. You're always finding at the last minute that you need to get over. And I've had much worse traffic there than ever in Atlanta.

Chattanooga can also be a bit of a thing just S of the city at the GA border where I-24 and I-75 intersect. Always seems to be a backup there, especially going north.

I'm an odd ball. I prefer the Atlantic side beaches. Been here since 2011. Home/condo values have more than doubled since then (as have the HOAs, mostly thanks to insurance premiums).
I seriously cannot disagree with this more. I've driven through Atlanta at minimum a dozen times and almost EVERY time, it's sucks, is horrible, and/or something super weird happens. EVERY. TIME.

I will never drive through it again. I'll go through Birmingham every time now if I have to go that direction from Iowa to Florida.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I seriously cannot disagree with this more. I've driven through Atlanta at minimum a dozen times and almost EVERY time, it's sucks, is horrible, and/or something super weird happens. EVERY. TIME.

I will never drive through it again. I'll go through Birmingham every time now if I have to go that direction from Iowa to Florida.
I've done it probably 30 or more. All I can say is YMMV. I can only think of one time where it was more than 30 minutes lost. Something way out by the north edge.

One other thing. Always stay on 75 through downtown. Don't take the loop bypass.

I've probably cursed myself by saying all this. Will find out in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: BACyclone and JM4CY

waynemorgan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2007
We actually love it down there in the summer. Temps are hot, ocean water is warm, and flights thru Allegiant are incredibly cheap. Anywhere in SW FL south of Tampa can’t miss. Somebody mentioned Sanibel, easily my wife’s favorite, Captiva right there also.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
I'm starting to plan our first family vacation for next summer now that the kids are old enough to appreciate and participate a bit more (they'll be 8 and 6). My wife grew up going to Siesta Key and is dead set that the trip be to Florida. . . . Anybody have better suggestions? Places to avoid?
Animals to avoid (3:10 mark):

If she had wrapped him, he dead.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I was about 40 yards out last time there and a manatee came swimming right behind me. Scared the ever loving crap out of my friends. Good times.

That is another great thing about Destin I forgot to mention!!!! I have video/pictures of manatee, MASSIVE stingray, sea turtles, dolphin, etc swimming up/down the beach!

Reactions: GMackey32

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I have nothing to contribute but a stupid story. I posted a similar type of question to a group specifically about vacationing in a region of WI. The whole point of the group is to give recs on vacationing in this specific part of WI. I posted and started getting some helpful responses. Then some lady came in and told me not to do it, that I should go to Florida for a week instead. Because it would be cheaper and her family loves it. Still befuddles me. I should just do an entirely different vacation. Swap my 3 hr car drive for a non direct flight/3 hr drive to get to a direct flight with a 2 and 5yr old. Or drive for 300 hours with them in a car. Sounds as fun as norovirus.

6 and 8 sound like way better and fun ages for this trip, hope you get good info and have a great time!

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
That is another great thing about Destin I forgot to mention!!!! I have video/pictures of manatee, MASSIVE stingray, sea turtles, dolphin, etc swimming up/down the beach!
It's so crazy how many times you see wildlife there. You become numb to it lol. Dolphins are constantly around.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I wish I could upload the videos. Here a couple of stills taken from the videos.

Attachments

• IMG_6576.png
    IMG_6576.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6577.jpeg
    IMG_6577.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 10

CyCoug

Sep 19, 2021
Hit me. If my wife got her way we'd be down around St. Petersburg to Sarasota
Well you’ve already mentioned Siesta Key, which is like white powder sand.

Further south is Nakomis, which has a more traditional sandy beach.

If you head down to Fort Myers, Fort Myers beach is back open. Sanibel Island is opening up too. There is the National Shell Museum and just general renowned shelling. I'll be there myself next Saturday

Continuing down the barrier Island (Estero Island), there are Lovers Key and Delnor-Wiggens state parks.

At about that point you start hitting the Naples beaches. The main Naples beach is quite nice. The pier is still destroyed from Hurricane Ian, but the beach and facilities are fine.

Lastly, there is Marco Island. Lots of good powder sand there. My favorite is Tigertail beach. It's a about a half a mile walk to the main beach, so it keeps the crowds down a bit. Lots of good shelling there as well.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
we went to st pete this spring break and i enjoyed it. went to clearwater beach, treasure island beach and st pete beach. also went to siesta key for a day. clearwater was the best out of the bunch. siesta key was super packed, but i also think most of that was from venice beach being closed because of beached whale.

to add to cooler. we drove down, hit nashville both ways close to rush hour and it sucked. hit atlanta at night and was pretty easy. i think nashville just sucks all hours of the day.

I really like Siesta Key. I’m not a huge Florida guy but that is a great beach.

Reactions: BACyclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'll add more as I think of this. We did this vacation (due to a couple of family-related factors) like 5 or 6 years in a row. I know the area well and dealt with multiple issues down there and could tell you how to solve them (i.e. flat tires, etc.) One year, we accidentally next to the spring break hub. HO Boy... was that something. "Sure, honey, I don't mind taking the kids to the beach by myself AT ALL...." (reality, it was the opposite, I wanted to get them the hell out of there)
This dude is well known for hanging out at the nude beaches also. ^^^^^^