First offensive play against KSU

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
That was hotly debated, but if I remember correctly, if we just continued to take a knee we would have had to punt. I think just asking your running back to not fumble the ball for one play to run out some clock is a better idea than eventually having to punt.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
That was hotly debated, but if I remember correctly, if we just continued to take a knee we would have had to punt. I think just asking your running back to not fumble the ball for one play to run out some clock is a better idea than eventually having to punt.
we would've had to punt with a few seconds left on the clock. Instead of punting you run backwards and take a safety once the clock hits 0:00

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
IIRC, we would of had to snap the ball on 4th down with 4 seconds left. It was an easy call, except for that damn card said dont do it.

• Winner
Reactions: CyInDFW and CyBobby

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
I think the alien living in Snyder's decaying body escapes to find another host, and it's Matt Campbell. This will happen pre-game though.

• Funny
Reactions: Omaha Cy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

There were other viable options than handing the ball off in traffic to a freshman who'd already fumbled.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
we would've had to punt with a few seconds left on the clock. Instead of punting you run backwards and take a safety once the clock hits 0:00
That My Friend Is the Old Drake Football Coach Jack Wallace's play that Jack would use to Ice the Game

Too bad Roads intentional misspelling...........Went from what was on a piece of paper and blew his one and only chance to Beat thee Old Master

Typical I wanta come home jamie Paul Roads

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
The Cardinals ran a play the other night that I really liked. 3 WR on far side of field. Looks like a WR screen but Fitzgerald (after chip blocking the corner) ran a slant pattern to the middle which was wide open.

isu83

May 5, 2010
The Cardinals ran a play the other night that I really liked. 3 WR on far side of field. Looks like a WR screen but Fitzgerald (after chip blocking the corner) ran a slant pattern to the middle which was wide open.
That would probably be an incompletion.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
There were other viable options than handing the ball off in traffic to a freshman who'd already fumbled.

Maybe so, but if you ever played football and did turnover drills, you know that it is nearly impossible to lose the ball when the objective is to just hold on to it. If you can fumble that, then you could botch a snap on a punt, or get the punt blocked, or get the punt returned for a TD just as likely if not more.

As far as running it back for a safety, I've never seen any coach try that ever. Almost all coaches will run the ball once as we did. Whatever the choice it's nearly impossible to lose in that situation. We are Iowa State so we overcome the impossible. The only time I've ever seen a fumble in that situation was that game. The only time I've ever seen a punt go wrong was last year Michigan vs Michigan State.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron