First Play of 2010 Season

What will ISU's first play of the year be?

• Run

Votes: 124 67.4%
  • Pass

Votes: 60 32.6%

• Total voters

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
What would you guys like the first play of Cyclone football to be this year? Hoenstly, i really REALLY hate the dumb "lets just get things started with a run up the middle". I know A-Rob is our best offensive player, but i think coming off a bowl win and with the excitement the way it is we need to start things off with a boom. I would like the first play to be a play action deep route to Darius Money Reynolds. Just something that the NIU defense doesnt expect right away. If the play ends up going for an incompletion then thats alright too. It just shows were here to play some dang ball. I also wouldnt put anything pass Herman to do this:wink:. I guess i'm just not a fan of conservative play calling to get games started.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
i guarentee it will be a run up the gut... only thing i dont like about our offense is that the play calling is a bit too predictable. 3rd and short=QB draw 9 out of 10 times. 3rd and long=short slant routes that go nowhere near the first down marker
But remember this is another year in this offense with Arnaud and company. We all know how Herman liked to toss the ball around at Rice. Make no mistake he will do it here too if we can.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Herman is a pass happy play caller and coach. We just dont have the weapons that have proved to do it yet(that we know of yet :wink:).

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Running the opening kickoff back for a touchdown is a bad omen for me. Every game I can think of where it has happened the team lost.
I remember saying if Devin Hester takes the opening kickoff back against the Colts, the Bears are screwed...

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
Typically, I'm a fan of the passing attack. But with ARob, I say give him the ball early and often. I hope he goes for 200+ yards vs. NIU.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
Call me boring, but I would love to have a game against NIU where we run way more than pass. I am thinking 70% run, with most being ARob and backups. No sense having AA run the ball and risk injury if we do not need him too. Not sure I want ARob to get 200 yards, unless we need too. I would rather have him get 100+ yards, Woody and another back each get around 50 yards, and a few carries to others so they see the field. Of course, this will require a 2 score lead most of the second half, and I also hope that happens.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
Start with the offset I, fake handoff to Arob, TE streak (with clothes on) right down the middle and hitting C. Franklin for a 20+ yard gain.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
What would you guys like the first play of Cyclone football to be this year? Hoenstly, i really REALLY hate the dumb "lets just get things started with a run up the middle". I know A-Rob is our best offensive player, but i think coming off a bowl win and with the excitement the way it is we need to start things off with a boom. I would like the first play to be a play action deep route to Darius Money Reynolds. Just something that the NIU defense doesnt expect right away. If the play ends up going for an incompletion then thats alright too. It just shows were here to play some dang ball. I also wouldnt put anything pass Herman to do this:wink:. I guess i'm just not a fan of conservative play calling to get games started.

Play action to the tight end.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I think a huge completion on the first play will go a long way for AA and the offense's confidence. Then again, an incomplete could hurt their confidence. Either way, I'm for trying to open with a big splash.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
I am not so much worried about the first play as I am the first drive. Hopefully our D can stop their O. I also hope if we get the ball first I hope that AA and company can put together a drive and score some points.

I have been hearing CW talking alot this preseason about the offense needing to score a lot of points to put us in a position to win. I agree so I think that coming out on the first drive and putting points on the board gets us off on the right foot and builds AA's confidence.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron