First Play of 2010 Season

What will ISU's first play of the year be?

• Run

Votes: 124 67.4%
  • Pass

Votes: 60 32.6%

• Total voters

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I suspect it will be some type of zone read play to test the inexperience at LB that NIU has. Look for NL to do the same to ISU, but with the short passing game.

This. We will go conservative until we know exactly what they are doing. If we are able to just run the ball down the middle on the first drive, then we will win by a decent margin. If not, we will have to open up the playbook and will be in a dog fight.

Oh man, I can't wait.

IowaSTATCyclone

Dec 4, 2009
Football Outsiders ran numbers in the NFL and says, statistically, good QBs should open drives with a pass, and follow it up with a pass. The odds of completion and big gains outweigh the risk of incompletion/interception. I don't know that there is a perfect translation to college, but I'd bet that the odds would hold up.

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
Football Outsiders ran numbers in the NFL and says, statistically, good QBs should open drives with a pass, and follow it up with a pass. The odds of completion and big gains outweigh the risk of incompletion/interception. I don't know that there is a perfect translation to college, but I'd bet that the odds would hold up.

I wonder what defines a "good" QB.

IStateClone3

Aug 9, 2010
Ankeny
I dont think we ran out of the I formation once last year. I believe we were shotgun 100% of the season.

I only remember one play from under center, It was a pass where one of the lineman (can't remember who exactly) released into the flat and scored a touchdown.

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
I think ARob is too good not to go to him.

On the other hand, do they fake to ARob since defenses will be expecting him, and make a strike downfield?

Hmmm...I still think Rhoads plays it safe on the first play of the first game and goes with his proven play-maker in ARob. I guess we'll find out in a few days...