Flat Top Griddle Cast vs Stainless vs Ceramic

Which material is best for a flat top griddle?

• Cast Iron

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Ceramic

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Stainless Steel

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I've been thinking about getting a flat top griddle to replace my older grill. I have a smoker so I think anything that i'd use my grill for, I could use the flat top for.

My real question is what surface should I get?

Stainless Steel
Cast Iron
Ceramic

Cast iron is the cheapest, are the others worth the upgrade? Benefits? What experiences do you have?

Thanks!

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
My dad got a new grill to bring camping, and it also functions as a gas stove. The flat top attachment is cast iron though, and it works great.

GoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I have a Blackstone. Technically, most flat top griddles do not use Cast Iron, but Steel. The Blackstones have the steel tops. If you properly season and care for it, it will give great results (non-stick and cook quality). I haven't used a stainless top for cooking since I worked at McD's many moons ago, so I can't give much info comparing cook quality, but they do still require cleaning similar to the steel tops. Also, I haven't seen any outdoor griddles that come with Stainless, but I have seen some after-market SST replacement tops. For Ceramic, I haven't used one of those, but I have heard that you need to use soft (i.e. plastic) utensils on those tops.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I don't have direct experience, but as a person who cooks a lot I think you'd want a smooth surface. If the cast iron is really rough, things will stick and make it hard to clean. If it's smooth, it will season and eventually be non-stick.

Ceramic is hard, resistant to scratches, heats evenly and holds heat well, but is also brittle and could break if you drop it or drop something on it.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Go with steel top like a Blackstone and then I'd think you could use a cast iron skillet on that for anything that would do better on a cast iron surface.

• Agree
Reactions: AgronAlum

GoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I don't have direct experience, but as a person who cooks a lot I think you'd want a smooth surface. If the cast iron is really rough, things will stick and make it hard to clean. If it's smooth, it will season and eventually be non-stick.
As you season the cast iron, the seasoning fills in the rough surface and eventually makes it smooth. A well seasoned cast iron pan will be perfectly smooth.

The Blackstone is sandblasted to roughen up the surface and to allow the seasoning something to grab a hold of.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Webers now you can swap out grill grates, plop in griddle, and it uses same grease foil container.
That's awesome IMO.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Go with steel top like a Blackstone and then I'd think you could use a cast iron skillet on that for anything that would do better on a cast iron surface.

Agree. Just take care of it and you won’t have problems. Keep it cleaned and seasoned between cooks.

Or just get the grill grates for a normal gas grill. You can have both.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
As you season the cast iron, the seasoning fills in the rough surface and eventually makes it smooth. A well seasoned cast iron pan will be perfectly smooth.

The Blackstone is sandblasted to roughen up the surface and to allow the seasoning something to grab a hold of.
I've seen lots cast iron that is like an orange peel texture on the cooking surface. Maybe the seasoning would fill it in, but it would take forever. Cast steel is usually plenty smooth though.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I've cooked on cat iron, stainless and regular steel like the Blackstone. Personally, for casual cooking, I'd take the regular steel over stainless every day. Stainless should be cleaned down to the bone after every cook. Regular steel holds a season like cast iron does and makes it a much easier surface to cook on.

Cast iron would be my first choice, but if you aren't using it every day, no matter how well it's seasoned or oiled, it will rust. Stainless is a lot more expensive and just not worth the price if you season your griddle correctly, which is not hard to do at all.

Regular steel gives you a nice in between of stainless durability with the seasoning of cast iron. I've had my blackstone in the backyard (under a grilling structure with a roof and a lid for the griddle) for 4 years now and haven't had to do anything with it other than make sure it's cleaned an oiled after cooks. I liked it so much, I bought the smaller adventure ready one for tailgating.