Flyover at game tomorrow?

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Apologies if it's been discussed elsewhere, but has anyone heard if there will be a flyover at the end of the Nation Anthem at the game tomorrow? I remember one two years ago when the game was in Ames, but hadn't heard anything yet this year.

Thanks

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Highly doubtful. With the Iowa ANG out of Des Moines losing their F-16's and the government dealing with the sequestor, flight time is pretty scarce and money is tight. So, flyovers and airshows have been cancelled throughout the year...

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
We should have one of the Boone units do the flyover in UH-60s! Why do flyovers always need to be done by jets?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
With the sequester not a chance.

General aviation has a lot of formation teams/aerobatic teams that are being used more in the place of the military.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Sorry to hear it's not going to happen. It's always an impressive sight, but I can understand why it's been scaled back for now.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Someone get on the horn to Whiteman...maybe we can get a B2 to show up.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
Planning and getting a flyover is not an easy process and it takes months in the planning to get it scheduled. The hardest part with Ames and military jets is that the closest place to park is Des Moines International and that is only if the IA Air National Guard will be working. The other aviation businesses there do not have a military contract and that is a killer right there.

They are def cool though and awesome to watch...

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
We should have one of the Boone units do the flyover in UH-60s! Why do flyovers always need to be done by jets?

One of the Army ROTC instructors is actually a blackhawk pilot out of Boone. I know he flew one of the birds when we played Army I believe. But good look getting anything approved these days with this budget.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Planning and getting a flyover is not an easy process and it takes months in the planning to get it scheduled. The hardest part with Ames and military jets is that the closest place to park is Des Moines International and that is only if the IA Air National Guard will be working. The other aviation businesses there do not have a military contract and that is a killer right there.

They are def cool though and awesome to watch...

I thought the last time we had a flyover the jets were from Omaha.....? Losing the ANG jets in DSM sucks. I loved watching and listening to them in this area.