Food options in Campustown...

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I find that very hard to believe unless you are talking about when the drinking age was 18 then maybe this is true.

No, he/she is correct. 10-15 years ago there used to be lines at 3 or 4 different bars every weekend. Campus town was a bustling place. I've often wondered what the downturn is due to.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
No, he/she is correct. 10-15 years ago there used to be lines at 3 or 4 different bars every weekend. Campus town was a bustling place. I've often wondered what the downturn is due to.
Wow! 3 or 4 different bars! Talk about bustling.

/sarcasm

That's a pretty average weekend nowadays.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Wow! 3 or 4 different bars! Talk about bustling.

/sarcasm

That's a pretty average weekend nowadays.

So it picked back up? That's good. I haven't been around campus town lately. Just a few years ago it took Veishea or a home football game to get any lines at the bars.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
So it picked back up? That's good. I haven't been around campus town lately. Just a few years ago it took Veishea or a home football game to get any lines at the bars.
Any given weekend there will be lines at AJ's, Mickey's, Paddy's/Sips almost guaranteed. Cy's is always busy too, but I rarely go there. Yokes got screwed by the Kingland stuff and they don't seem to be doing very well in their new location. If they can get their **** together with some tuneups over the summer it could be good too.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Any given weekend there will be lines at AJ's, Mickey's, Paddy's/Sips almost guaranteed. Cy's is always busy too, but I rarely go there. Yokes got screwed by the Kingland stuff and they don't seem to be doing very well in their new location. If they can get their **** together with some tuneups over the summer it could be good too.

Where did Yokes move to?

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

How did they get screwed? Redevelopment has been talked well before they opened. They knew exactly what they were getting into.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
How did they get screwed? Redevelopment has been talked well before they opened. They knew exactly what they were getting into.
I heard they got outbid by AJ's for that spot on the corner of Stanton and Chamberlain. So they ended up in the old AJ's spot and they kind of scrambled to get things set up. Just didn't transition well, I don't think.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I heard they got outbid by AJ's for that spot on the corner of Stanton and Chamberlain. So they ended up in the old AJ's spot and they kind of scrambled to get things set up. Just didn't transition well, I don't think.

That block is the next that needs to go. If they can survive, they'll have a lot of good options once the new buildings are complete.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
So the bars are just gradually being moved down the street in the name of progress?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
One thing I'm sure of, with 30k+ enrollment, there are going to be places where students can drink. That's a lot of money out there for the taking. Competition isn't great either. If someone opens a kick-*** bar that is halfway nice, they're going to make a lot of bank.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

not true.

and bar attendance has had a steadily decline the past few years. Seems to be picking up some though. When I first turned twenty one there'd be lines Thursday, Friday and Saturday. And mickeys on Wednesday as well.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
not true.

and bar attendance has had a steadily decline the past few years. Seems to be picking up some though. When I first turned twenty one there'd be lines Thursday, Friday and Saturday. And mickeys on Wednesday as well.
Care to enlighten us then?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Care to enlighten us then?

Ajs was forced from their old location, hence that spot opening up. But I will admit yokes did seem to rush to open up, I'd say what they did with it is nicer than what old ajs had. Multiple bar restaurants such as brothers looked into the Stanton/chamberlain location but decided against it because it's an awful investment with property tax/asking price, etc.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Ajs was forced from their old location, hence that spot opening up. But I will admit yokes did seem to rush to open up, I'd say what they did with it is nicer than what old ajs had. Multiple bar restaurants such as brothers looked into the Stanton/chamberlain location but decided against it because it's an awful investment with property tax/asking price, etc.
Well either way Yokes got screwed imo. The old AJ's was awesome. The setup Yokes has is just dumb. Those pool tables are way too close together and just get in the way. Then people standing around make it impossible to play. Plus the outdoor area isn't even available cuz the fence is gone.

Also, why was AJ's forced to leave?

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Well either way Yokes got screwed imo. The old AJ's was awesome. The setup Yokes has is just dumb. Those pool tables are way too close together and just get in the way. Then people standing around make it impossible to play. Plus the outdoor area isn't even available cuz the fence is gone.

Also, why was AJ's forced to leave?

Outdoor area is fenced in again I heard. And a falling out with the landlord. Some shady stuff on ajs end.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Ames bars need to have food options during the day so it can actually be a destination more than 8p-2a from Thurs thru Sat.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron