For 'I' For 'S' For 'U'?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I bought a nike shirt at Scheels @ JC yesterday with this on the front and the new logo on the back. It's a very comfortable shirt, and the section I bought it in had all school specific slogans on the shirts, not just generic rah rah 'were the best' kind of stuff. For example, Nebraska's said Blackshirts, Tech's said Get Your Guns Up, Baylor's said Sic 'Em, you get the drift. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was an old cheer, part of the words to Bells of ISU, the lost verse to the fight song which is now the "don't know the words" part to the student section. It seems to me that this line/chant is familiar, but I can't quite place it. What is it?

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I bought a nike shirt at Scheels @ JC yesterday with this on the front and the new logo on the back. It's a very comfortable shirt, and the section I bought it in had all school specific slogans on the shirts, not just generic rah rah 'were the best' kind of stuff. For example, Nebraska's said Blackshirts, Tech's said Get Your Guns Up, Baylor's said Sic 'Em, you get the drift. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was an old cheer, part of the words to Bells of ISU, the lost verse to the fight song which is now the "don't know the words" part to the student section. It seems to me that this line/chant is familiar, but I can't quite place it. What is it?

dude, it is the song they play at football games...it is part of the medley they play when the band first takes the field.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
As my Sousa counterpart pointed for I for S is played fourth in pregame and after all made FGs. However, the actual lyrics go "For I for S Forever" not For I for S For U.

the song can be heard here
Iowa State University Department of Music

I can't find a copy of the lyrics for the song but it goes something along the lines of:

For I for S forever,
For Iowa State all the way
It's time to show them what the gangs all here for
Time to show them how the cyclones cheer

For I for S forever
For Iowa State do it right
It's time to climb upon the vic'try wagon
Fight, Iowa State, Fight Fight.

SVT

Nov 9, 2006
Cedar Rapids
For I for S, my favorite ISU song. Tried to start the tradition of everyone signing the words at basketball games (to start with), even got the lyrics in the Cyclone Alley handbooks, just never caught on. I was usually one of about 4 people in Hilton singing it.

A shirt that says "For I For S Forever", now that I would buy.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
For I for S, my favorite ISU song. Tried to start the tradition of everyone signing the words at basketball games (to start with), even got the lyrics in the Cyclone Alley handbooks, just never caught on. I was usually one of about 4 people in Hilton singing it.

A shirt that says "For I For S Forever", now that I would buy.

That song never gets the love that it should.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
I agree, I also like "rise sons of iowa state". we don't play it anymore which makes me sad.

it used to be a part of pregame about 7 ot 8 years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Ok, I figured it was part of the lyrics to one of the songs. I feel like an ignoramus, but I think that most of us know the lyrics to the "main" fight song ('oh we will fight fight fight for Iowa State, and may her colors ever fly...etc') but don't know the lyrics for the other parts, hence the students singing "don't know the words" Maybe the university should have everybody learn the rest of the songs in orientation. I wouldn't feel as stupid now if they had :no:

SVT

Nov 9, 2006
Cedar Rapids
When putting the Cyclone Alley booklet together a few years back, I asked around (band directors, etc) and it turns out that there are no words for the "don't know the words" song, it is all instrumental.

For I for S Forever is played when the Floating ISU changes and the band plays something for the fans on the east side of the field. The most I've ever heard it played at Hilton is twice in the same day.

But as some of us agree, no, it does not get the love it should.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
I absolutely love "For I, For S" and "Rise, Sons of Iowa State". I think the lyrics are some of the coolest I've ever heard in any college's school songs. I proudly sing when For I, For S is played, and I'm almost always the only one. I would sing Rise, but it's not even played anymore... Here are the lyrics:
Fighting sons we sing to you,
Keep your spirit ringing true;
Make our valor carry on,
And you'll see the battle through,

Rise sons of Iowa State,
And proudly raise our flaming banner to the sky;
Lift our ringing challenge valiantly,
Let our fighting war cry ever be "Victory!"
Bold sons of Iowa State,
keep marching onward ever near the vic'try gate;
There to consecrate our everlasting loyalty.
Rise! Iowa State!

You can hear an absolutely ancient recording here: http://www.isualum.org/en/tradition...ngs_of_iowa_state/rise_sons_of_iowa_state.cfm

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
If anyone ever wants to hear all those songs live, come to an Iowa Statesmen concert. We're the Iowa State men's choir and we sing a medley of Rise Sons, For I for S, The Bells of Iowa State, and the regular fight song to close every concert.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
If anyone ever wants to hear all those songs live, come to an Iowa Statesmen concert. We're the Iowa State men's choir and we sing a medley of Rise Sons, For I for S, The Bells of Iowa State, and the regular fight song to close every concert.
And it is seriously one of the most BA things you'll ever here. Everyone here is a die-hard Cyclone fan; you should be at one of these concerts just to hear the fight song medley at the end.

Man, I love being in Singers but I really miss being in Statesmen...