FOR SALE: Field Of Dreams

S

st8

a buddy of mine actually has a vile of dirt and a plaque that reads "actual infield dirt from the field of dreams" and then an autographed 8x10 of costner from the movie. I believe he actually paid a good deal of money for it too

Cycloin

Feb 5, 2009
Johnston
Fun aside, my cousin was the stunt double for Karin (daughter). She's the one who fell off the bleachers at the end.

Please tell me your cousin was a jockey-sized adult and not just another young girl that fell off the bleachers...

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Asking $5.4 Million. According to this.

Wow. $28,000 per acre. The land might be worth $6,000 per acre from an ag standpoint, so a fair amount of blue sky built into that price for tourist potential.

It will be interesting to see how this one pans out.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Wow. $28,000 per acre. The land might be worth $6,000 per acre from an ag standpoint, so a fair amount of blue sky built into that price for tourist potential.

Agree, seems rather steep. Not sure how much value you can put into those buildings.

My family is selling our farm in Dubuque for around 18K an acre, and that's for a residential developer. Be nice to get 28K/per

S

st8

although it is significant to Iowans and baseball fans. I'd be willing to bet that the appeal to tourism has to be wearing off a bit. It's one of those places you might stop by once, but that's it... unless you're a total wierdo

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
although it is significant to Iowans and baseball fans. I'd be willing to bet that the appeal to tourism has to be wearing off a bit. It's one of those places you might stop by once, but that's it... unless you're a total wierdo

So Im guessing you have been there 20 plus times with your special friend.

S

st8

I think they'd be better off selling the surrounding land to farmers for market value, then putting some steep price on the acre or so that the house, giftshop, and outbuildings are on.

I'd be willing to be the people who currently own it got into it pretty bad when they purchased it a while back, when it was probably more profitable from a tourist standpoit. they're probably just trying to get out ahead or break even at this point

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
Eh, I think most people from central Iowa and western Iowa probably haven't been there. The problem is that it's more of "passing on the way" type place and not a destination place.

I'm from central Iowa, and I've been there, along with half of my high school. We had our senior prom on a riverboat on the Mississippi, and we stopped at the FoD on the way.

My dates dad wasn't impressed when I told him I got to 3rd base with his daughter.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
My roommate from ISU is from Dyersville and a lot of the land around the Field of Dreams is or was owned by members of his family. Great place to visit, play catch and just run the bases.

Last edited: