Found the QDRO loophole, finally

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
By reinvesting the monies received into a rollover, then transferring the said monies into a Roth, i can avoid the 20% tax kill on the lump-sum and only pay the 10% penalty plus tax on taking out what i need. Its the paperwork that is a pain, for right now the QDRO is stuck in TIAA-Cref land for 3 weeks. But by figuring this out, i just saved myself $9200. Homework, people. Do it.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
can-you-repeat-the-part-of-the-stuff.jpg

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
By reinvesting the monies received into a rollover, then transferring the said monies into a Roth, i can avoid the 20% tax kill on the lump-sum and only pay the 10% penalty plus tax on taking out what i need. Its the paperwork that is a pain, for right now the QDRO is stuck in TIAA-Cref land for 3 weeks. But by figuring this out, i just saved myself $9200. Homework, people. Do it.

Figuring out the "don't get married" loophole woulda saved you a helluva lot more than that.

:pwink:

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
You don't really understand what you think you understand.

You are confusing indirect rollover, early (59.5 or younger) penalty, ordinary income, etc. I would strongly encourage you to talk to someone that knows what they are doing because you may wind up with surprises in 2015.

if you have a ongoing need you could simply do a 72t but it is rarely the silver bullet many think it is.

CyJam

Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO

After reading this thread and your timing belt thread, I'm guessing that you're not very good at managing money.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
After reading this thread and your timing belt thread, I'm guessing that you're not very good at managing money.

I lose and gain small fortunes about equally, yes. But I'm great with other people's money.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
The 20% is a withholding, it would be taxed as income, meaning you could pay more (or get a refund) come 2015. Pay an accountant a few bucks now to help - well worth it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron