Fourth Down Defense

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Opposing offenses have gone 1-7 on 4th downs in the last three games. Cant speak highly enough of this defense. When their back is against the wall, they have come through.

In case anyone is wondering, ISU's offense has gone 4-5 during those same 3 games. Equally as impressive.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Opposing offenses have gone 1-7 on 4th downs in the last three games. Cant speak highly enough of this defense. When their back is against the wall, they have come through.

In case anyone is wondering, ISU's offense has gone 4-5 during those same 3 games. Equally as impressive.

There are several factors but the biggest is just how much better we are on both sides of the line. I love everyone on the defensive side of the ball but the DL are warriors, just a nasty crew. They go 3 on 5 most plays but never stop coming.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There are several factors but the biggest is just how much better we are on both sides of the line. I love everyone on the defensive side of the ball but the DL are warriors, just a nasty crew. They go 3 on 5 most plays but never stop coming.
We have about 9 guys we are rotating now. It’s fantastic.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm surprised it's not being copied more.
I think a lot of it comes down to assignments. Our Dline’s first objective is to eat blockers. If 3 guys can take 5-6 out you now have a numbers nightmare for the Offense. Keep them fresh and that late in a drive O line gets tired. A lot of teams want containment with their front. We don’t have that as high as others. Old school is hard to break at times.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
WVU did a nice job with their QB sneaks for a yard, but our defense is nasty when opposing teams think they can line up and shove us for 2 or more yards. Guys hit their lane assignments hard and have been tackling really well.

When K-state decided to go for it on 4th down on their opening drive instead of taking the 3 easy points, our defense established the tone for that entire game.

So fun to watch.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
WVU did a nice job with their QB sneaks for a yard, but our defense is nasty when opposing teams think they can line up and shove us for 2 or more yards. Guys hit their lane assignments hard and have been tackling really well.

When K-state decided to go for it on 4th down on their opening drive instead of taking the 3 easy points, our defense established the tone for that entire game.

So fun to watch.
Pretty sure that WV sneaks were against our 3rd or 4th team NT. Lee didn’t play and Bankston hardly played. It still took a push from the backfield to barely make it.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016

The one success (for the opposing offense) had to be when WVU would motion a TE into the backfield to push the back of the QB on short yardage situations. I say we put 2 of our TE in the backfield behind Dekkers and do the same moving forward on 3rd and short, or 4th and short if it is the right situation for it.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
The one success (for the offense) had to be when WVU would motion a TE into the backfield to push the back of the QB on short yardage situations. I say we put 2 of our TE in the backfield behind Dekkers and do the same moving forward on 3rd and short, or 4th and short if it is the right situation for it.

If done correctly, it is impossible to stop. I hated when the rule changed but if ISU should take full advantage of it going forward I wouldn’t be upset.

• Agree
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If done correctly, it is impossible to stop. I hated when the rule changed but if ISU should take full advantage of it going forward I wouldn’t be upset.
Yeah, I hated the rule change as well. You used to see a back follow another back into the hole and ram him through from behind but you had to be a bit more subtle than lining up with your hands on the QBs ass right before he snapped it for the sneak.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I also hate it when centers move the ball forward when they are lining up. I don't remember if it was the WVU game of the Texas game but their center did it on a less than a yard play and he moved it past the line to gain before they even snapped the ball. When did this become okay? I have never seen it called but I know I got flagged for it an eternity ago when I played center for a season in school and that was just putting the ball up more on the point - not really even moving it forward.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I also hate it when centers move the ball forward when they are lining up. I don't remember if it was the WVU game of the Texas game but their center did it on a less than a yard play and he moved it past the line to gain before they even snapped the ball. When did this become okay? I have never seen it called but I know I got flagged for it an eternity ago when I played center for a season in school and that was just putting the ball up more on the point - not really even moving it forward.

That sounds like a penalty to me, I thought you couldn't move it forward in any fashion. But I don't know all rule nuance.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That sounds like a penalty to me, I thought you couldn't move it forward in any fashion. But I don't know all rule nuance.
The more I think about it the more I think it was Texas. Look at the tape if you have some time. I think you will see what I mean. I know a lot of people don't really look at that, but I always have after getting flagged for it eons ago.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The more I think about it the more I think it was Texas. Look at the tape if you have some time. I think you will see what I mean. I know a lot of people don't really look at that, but I always have after getting flagged for it eons ago.
Several do now. I played center in JH and got hit for the same penalty. Last year I played that. My walnuts were sore for a long time after.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think a lot of it comes down to assignments. Our Dline’s first objective is to eat blockers. If 3 guys can take 5-6 out you now have a numbers nightmare for the Offense. Keep them fresh and that late in a drive O line gets tired. A lot of teams want containment with their front. We don’t have that as high as others. Old school is hard to break at times.
Always ran this defense in NCAA football. Funny cause I would use motion to see what coverage was being used the same as Manning. I was a cutting edge mind and didn't even know it. :jimlad:

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Due to my laziness, if you can find a clip, I'd like to see it. I'm curious, but not curious enough to do the legwork. :)

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013

I think they dig down deep. They have guts.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I have no idea how you can physically stop the sneak play with someone pushing directly behind. Probably zero way of looking it up but the percentage of picking up first downs/touchdowns with that strategy have to be astronomically high.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have no idea how you can physically stop the sneak play with someone pushing directly behind. Probably zero way of looking it up but the percentage of picking up first downs/touchdowns with that strategy have to be astronomically high.
D Lineman has to submarine and cut the Olinemans legs so the QB can’t do anything but dive. Then the backer has to catch the QB enough to keep them from diving forward much.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron