Fox X-Men (Marvel) Movie/TV Universe

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
sure you can, but probably only in small doses.

Wolverine is like James Bond, you don't retire the character, you retire the guy playing it. Whoever does it next will have a hard time though, Jackman has done it for so long that many people around my age will have a hard time seeing someone else in that role.

For sure. While many people can argue how good/bad Fox has done in handling the X-Men universe, one thing that can't be argued is their casting decisions for the "Big 3" in Wolverine, Professor Xavier, and Magneto. Those 3 might be some of the greatest casting decisions ever made in all of movie history, much less in all of comic book movie history. Those 3 have been great. Some of the others... well... definitely some "meh"s out there. However, I do like the "new" castings of Charles (McAvoy) and Magneto (Fassbenger) so far. I think they both filled in well and show a ton of potential in filling the old shoes.

Last edited:

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
For sure. While many people can argue how good/bad Fox has done in handling the X-Men universe, one thing that can't be argued is their casting decisions for the "Big 3" in Wolverine, Professor Xavier, and Magneto. Those 3 might be some of the greatest casting decisions ever in all of movie history, much less in all of comic book movie history. Those 3 have been great. Some of the others..... definitely some "meh"s out there.

I have no idea how they'll replace Patrick Stewart but hopefully he'll just live forever. I can think of a few guys who I think would make a good Wolverine, I have no idea who they could get to be professor x. Bruce Willis? Stanley Tucci?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I have no idea how they'll replace Patrick Stewart but hopefully he'll just live forever. I can think of a few guys who I think would make a good Wolverine, I have no idea who they could get to be professor x. Bruce Willis? Stanley Tucci?

If you haven't noticed, they already have in McAvoy for Charles Xavier and Fassbender for Magneto. These are already the replacements, which was started in X-Men: First Class and will continue on in the new X-Men: Apocalypse. From an age perspective, this works better since X-Men: Apocalypse takes place in the 90s.

Last edited:

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
If you haven't noticed, they already have in McAvoy for Charles Xavier and Fassbender for Magneto. These are already the replacements, which was started in X-Men: First Class and will continue on in the new X-Men: Apocalypse. From an age perspective, this works better since X-Men: Apocalypse takes place in the 90s.

I did notice, but like Jennifer Lawrence, I don't count on those guys to be doing these movies for much longer but I suppose as the Million Dollar Man would say, everyone has a price.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

I thought it takes place in the 80s?

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
X2 was probably my favorite movie from this series. The opening sequence with Nightcrawler in the White House and the ending with Dark Phoenix was just so awesome at the time. They messed it all up in Last Stand, unfortunately. Things seemed to have gotten back on track since then.

Also worth noting that along with X-Men, Fox also owns the rights to anything to do with "mutants", which has caused some serious confusion in terms of the use of Quicksilver in both shared Universes (MCU and Fox) and also Marvel shifting to a much bigger emphasis on Inhumans in their comic books (changing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, for example) to lay the groundwork for future movies (kind of strange when you think about it).

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I did notice, but like Jennifer Lawrence, I don't count on those guys to be doing these movies for much longer but I suppose as the Million Dollar Man would say, everyone has a price.

JLaw is flipping out about being painted blue (chemicals) so I believe they finally developed a workable bodysuit.

Still has to get the face painted so, yeah, I think she's probably gone.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
X2 was probably my favorite movie from this series. The opening sequence with Nightcrawler in the White House and the ending with Dark Phoenix was just so awesome at the time. They messed it all up in Last Stand, unfortunately. Things seemed to have gotten back on track since then.

Also worth noting that along with X-Men, Fox also owns the rights to anything to do with "mutants", which has caused some serious confusion in terms of the use of Quicksilver in both shared Universes (MCU and Fox) and also Marvel shifting to a much bigger emphasis on Inhumans in their comic books (changing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, for example) to lay the groundwork for future movies (kind of strange when you think about it).

Like your rankings idea. I usually kick this thing off with my ranking of the movies, but wanted to wait a bit longer beings how I'm re-watching all of them again in chronological time order as a lead up to watching Deadpool, and want to save my rankings until I'm finished. Some of them it had been over a decade since I last saw them, so I thought it was fitting. With that said, I just watched The Wolverine and plan on watching Days of Future Past tonight, so I'm close, but still haven't even seen Deadpool. Plan on going sometime this week. Nevertheless, I'll have some more accurate thoughts after Deadpool. But yeah, X2 is very high on my list too. Love the Nightcrawler scene too. In fact, I just loved his character overall a ton.

As for the "Mutant" thing, yeah, you are completely right and the MCU can't use anything that includes the word. So yeah, it has been interesting with a few characters as to how they have switched up back stories. Like you said, Marvel's replacement essentially is the Inhumans, which is darn near the same thing anything, with a slight tweak. Also, beings how we are so far into the MCU already, it wouldn't fit anyway to start bringing in Mutants who would have to have been seemingly there all along with no reference to them. Weird. Therefore, replacing them with Inhumans, which has already started in Agents of Shield, makes a ton more sense anyway to their overall storyline. Shoot, in my opinion, it would be much easier to integrate in the Fantastic 4 to the MCU than it would be any type of mutants like the X-Men.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
100% perfect fits for those roles.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Last Stand sucked because they tried to wrap up the whole story in one big movie. A story that has been going on for over 50 years on comics. It just didn't work.

The new X-Men trilogy just has better writing. They are focusing on more specific parts of the X-Men story and are executing it better.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm a rare fan who thinks the X-Men movies are much better overall as a film:film ratio than the MCU.

X-Men 3 is horrible, the second wolverine movie was meh, haven't seen deadpool (was never a huge fan), but outside of that it's all quality.

X-Men, X2 and First Class are as good as any MCU movie to me. Origins: Wolverine is, to me very underrated. I think all the fans getting a pirated unfinished versions and judging a 90% done movie really hurt its momentum. Days of Future past was pretty solid and Apocalypse looks great (I've actually seen a lot of stills and character art for it in the past year since I work in movie toys).

I'm talking just X-Men (not dreadful FF, mixed bag Spiderman or anything else), I think they've done a great job with X-Men and this is as a lifelong collector and fan of X-Men comics.

Don't get me wrong, I love some of the MCU movies but I also think they get a pass from fanboys who are now simply fans of the brand (remember when Madden football sucked every year but people still bought the white box). I literally fell asleep during the second Thor movie and Thor is a horrible character anyway, back when it was just comics he couldn't sell an issue compared to the worst selling of a dozen X titles on the shelf. I thought Ant Man was horrible and the whole time watching it could not believe it was well received. I thought Iron Man 3 was horrible and just like X-Men 3 was a letdown. There are about 4-5 MCU movies I could pop in and enjoy any time but the only one that really "blows me away" at the same level as X-Men, X2 and First class is GOG which I absolutely love.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Last Stand sucked because they tried to wrap up the whole story in one big movie. A story that has been going on for over 50 years on comics. It just didn't work.

The new X-Men trilogy just has better writing. They are focusing on more specific parts of the X-Men story and are executing it better.

After reading into it more, it sounds like X-Men: The Last Stand was doomed from the get go as they were dealing with a super short filming timeline, Bryan Singer was originally scheduled to direct, but that got bobbled due to negotiating and other commitments for Bryan. This only even shortened the timeline to the point where nobody wanted to direct it, which made it go from director to director until they landed on Brett Ratner, who probably didn't even stand a chance. I also know Bryan Singer regrets not directing it from the get go. With that said, other than killing off so many main characters, I hated that, I didn't think the movie was as bad as a lot of other people. Once I put my rankings list out soon, it definitely isn't last on it.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
I'm a rare fan who thinks the X-Men movies are much better overall as a film:film ratio than the MCU.

X-Men 3 is horrible, the second wolverine movie was meh, haven't seen deadpool (was never a huge fan), but outside of that it's all quality.

X-Men, X2 and First Class are as good as any MCU movie to me. Origins: Wolverine is, to me very underrated. I think all the fans getting a pirated unfinished versions and judging a 90% done movie really hurt its momentum. Days of Future past was pretty solid and Apocalypse looks great (I've actually seen a lot of stills and character art for it in the past year since I work in movie toys).

I'm talking just X-Men (not dreadful FF, mixed bag Spiderman or anything else), I think they've done a great job with X-Men and this is as a lifelong collector and fan of X-Men comics.

Don't get me wrong, I love some of the MCU movies but I also think they get a pass from fanboys who are now simply fans of the brand (remember when Madden football sucked every year but people still bought the white box). I literally fell asleep during the second Thor movie and Thor is a horrible character anyway, back when it was just comics he couldn't sell an issue compared to the worst selling of a dozen X titles on the shelf. I thought Ant Man was horrible and the whole time watching it could not believe it was well received. I thought Iron Man 3 was horrible and just like X-Men 3 was a letdown. There are about 4-5 MCU movies I could pop in and enjoy any time but the only one that really "blows me away" at the same level as X-Men, X2 and First class is GOG which I absolutely love.

Interesting take on Origins: Wolverine. I'll admit I haven't watched it again since I saw it in the theatre. Remember being pretty "meh" about it, but not overly so. Would definitely rewatch. Wish these movies were on Netflix!

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

While I'm not in your same boat, I respect that. While I much prefer the MCU movies myself, I still love what Fox has done with the X-Men universe too. I just hope from here on out, now that the timeline is reset, they can do a better job with continuity and canon, with less of a mixed bag of all over the place. Some people are just big X-Men people too. My buddy was one growing up right during the height of their cartoon series, and always has been a monstrous fan. Me, I always gravitated more towards Spider-Man and Batman at the time. Different strokes for different folks.

Truthfully, I used to want the X-Men rights to go back to Marvel so that they can join the MCU. Now, I'm actually the opposite, with a few stipulations. I'm all for as many comic book movies as possible each year as long as they are good. We are truly living in the golden age of comic book movies. All said and done, Disney/Marvel can and will on produce so many movies a year. So, right now, we have 3 big Universes and 3 big players - DCEU (WB), MCU (Marvel/Disney), and Fox's X-Men Universe players producing movies. If the X-Men go to the MCU, that only leaves us with two, which ultimately would mean less movies each year. Also, the Marvel universe is vast, in and of itself, with a ton of characters, X-Men excluded. They don't need the X-Men and the Inhumans are pretty much a perfect replacement anyway. As for the X-Men, they are practically a Universe in and of themselves, with a ton of characters too, where they can stand on their own. I'm not even mentioning how messy it would be integrating the X-Men into the MCU at this point in time. It just wouldn't make sense. The Inhumans make much more sense. As for my stipulations I mentioned above, it is that I'm totally cool with Fox making X-Men movies as long as they make GOOD ones. If they start royally sucking it up like they did the Fantastic Four, sure, send the characters back to Marvel, which I'm wanting for the Fantastic Four right now.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Interesting take on Origins: Wolverine. I'll admit I haven't watched it again since I saw it in the theatre. Remember being pretty "meh" about it, but not overly so. Would definitely rewatch. Wish these movies were on Netflix!

I just rewatched Orgins: Wolverine and eh. Underrated probably isn't in my vocabulary for it. Still thought it was okay though. When I crank out my rankings, spoiler alert, it will be last on it. Now, if they were to take their horrendous take on Deadpool out of it, maybe it jumps a bit, but only ever so slightly.

Last edited:

Creed11

Jun 13, 2011
Ames
While I'm not in your same boat, I respect that. While I much prefer the MCU movies myself, I still love what Fox has done with the X-Men universe too. I just hope from here on out, now that the timeline is reset, they can do a better job with continuity and canon, with less of a mixed bag of all over the place. Some people are just big X-Men people too. My buddy was one growing up right during the height of their cartoon series, and always has been a monstrous fan. Me, I always gravitated more towards Spider-Man and Batman at the time. Different strokes for different folks.

Truthfully, I used to want the X-Men rights to go back to Marvel so that they can join the MCU. Now, I'm actually the opposite, with a few stipulations. I'm all for as many comic book movies as possible each year as long as they are good. We are truly living in the golden age of comic book movies. All said and done, Disney/Marvel can and will on produce so many movies a year. So, right now, we have 3 big Universes and 3 big players - DCEU (WB), MCU (Marvel/Disney), and Fox's X-Men Universe players producing movies. If the X-Men go to the MCU, that only leaves us with two, which ultimately would mean less movies each year. Also, the Marvel universe is vast, in and of itself, with a ton of characters, X-Men excluded. They don't need the X-Men and the Inhumans are pretty much a perfect replacement anyway. As for the X-Men, they are practically a Universe in and of themselves, with a ton of characters too, where they can stand on their own. I'm not even mentioning how messy it would be integrating the X-Men into the MCU at this point in time. It just wouldn't make sense. The Inhumans make much more sense. As for my stipulations I mentioned above, it is that I'm totally cool with Fox making X-Men movies as long as they make GOOD ones. If they start royally sucking it up like they did the Fantastic Four, sure, send the characters back to Marvel, which I'm wanting for the Fantastic Four right now.

I agree that it would be a mess to incorporate the xmen in, the only logical point that I could think off of the top of my head would have been during the civil war and the registration act. It would have made the civil war more on scale with the comics. But i have im resigned that xmen and deadpool arent going to ever be part of that universe.

On the other hand if Marvel can get the fantastic four and the silver surfer back I would be pumped. They would be a lot easier to bring into the MCU as well.

Overall I agree with you that having these 3 universes is nice because of the quantity and quality of the movies currently. I will probably be less thrilled though as I start to see some of the major or iconic storylines in the comics being changed because of limits on who can be used by what studio.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I agree that it would be a mess to incorporate the xmen in, the only logical point that I could think off of the top of my head would have been during the civil war and the registration act. It would have made the civil war more on scale with the comics. But i have im resigned that xmen and deadpool arent going to ever be part of that universe.

On the other hand if Marvel can get the fantastic four and the silver surfer back I would be pumped. They would be a lot easier to bring into the MCU as well.

Overall I agree with you that having these 3 universes is nice because of the quantity and quality of the movies currently. I will probably be less thrilled though as I start to see some of the major or iconic storylines in the comics being changed because of limits on who can be used by what studio.

Good point on the end there on being forced to alter some major story lines to make things work, but I guess that is just the way it is. Yeah, to integrate the X-Men/mutants into the MCU would be a disaster. The thing about mutants is that they need to have been there present all along in the MCU from the get go. Thousands of mutants can't just suddenly appear and if they have been there from the get-go, it wouldn't make sense that we haven't heard or seen anything of them so far. If it were just a few mutants out there, sure. However, the mutant world of the X-Men contains thousands of mutants all over the world. On the flip side, Inhumans work perfect as they have essentially been here all along, but just haven't been introduced to the terrigen mist, which allows Inhumans powers to finally surface and appear. Now, introduce the terrigen mist (like they have already in Agents of Shield) and BOOM, its like you can have thousands of mutants appear out of nowhere and it makes complete sense. Problem is that the Inhuman characters aren't as well known as the Mutant ones, so the MCU will pretty much have to try their best to raise up their popularity from somewhat scratch.

As for the Fantastic Four. Yeah, it would have been ideal to have them come in earlier, but nothing says they can't come in now.

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I just rewatched Orgins: Wolverine and eh. Underrated probably isn't in my vocabulary for it. Still thought it was okay though. When I crank out my rankings, spoiler alert, it will be last on it. Now, if they were to take their horrendous take on Deadpool out of it, maybe it jumps a bit.

This is exactly why it's so poorly regarded. A lot of that movie was pretty decent. Then they just crapped the bed with the ending.

The Wolverine was much better as an overall story at least.