Fraschilla/Bilas

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Is it just me, or is anyone else extremely disappointed when you turn on a Big Monday game, and Bilas is commentating over Fraschilla?

Thought I saw something a few years ago that Bilas is allowed to pull the trump card and announce games of his choosing, and in this case, Fraschilla is forced to take a back seat.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
It seems like he calls the sunflower showdown in Manhattan every year. At least he doesn’t come to Hilton.

Reactions: Bob f

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
At least he doesn’t come to Hilton.

Back-to-back Big Mondays against OU and KU in 2016 -- Musburger and Bilas.

It was easy to tell that Fran was not happy about being bumped, but he kept it professional.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Fran knows the Big 12 and brings a great feel for the players, coaches and history of the conference. Whereas Bilas is a drive by. Plus Fran brings so much personality to each telecast.

My 10 year old son and I sat next to him and his ESPN crew at a restaurant in the P&L after a game in KC several years ago and he is the nicest human being. Fran spent 5 minutes talking to my son about his youth basketball team.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Very monotone and low energy. You don't hear the passion coming from him that Fran brings. Makes me want to take a nap.

I think it’s really about the experience with the Big12. He is really knowledge about some teams in the ACC and he gushes about the players in that league like Fran does with the Big12. But he only seems to care about the blue bloods. He doesn’t get to know the players from the other schools like Fran does.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Bilas comes off to me as "well ACC is much better but I guess I can call a high profile Big12 game even if its a little beneath me"

Fran lives, breathes, and loves Big 12 basketball no matter the teams playing. It's obvious he's made person connections with players, coaches, and fans.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Is it just me, or is anyone else extremely disappointed when you turn on a Big Monday game, and Bilas is commentating over Fraschilla?

Thought I saw something a few years ago that Bilas is allowed to pull the trump card and announce games of his choosing, and in this case, Fraschilla is forced to take a back seat.

He should be forced to legally change his name to "Bias", as every time he calls a big game he clearly displayed some sort of bias for a conference or team. It's always been clear his heart is and always will be in the ACC.

If Jay wasn't so arrogant I'd prefer him as he brings more to the broadcast. While Fran says some incredibly stupid things and is (obviously) an ISU homer, he at least has humility, something Bilas never has had.

I'd prefer neither but if I had to pick between these two I'd rather have Fran.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Can't stand him. I actually don't really know why.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
That might be because Kansas fans seem to hate Fraschilla so much.

I understand the hate especially if and when he gets a KU/ISU game. He seems to recognize KU gets all the love and will often be subtly "anti KU". He's also (somehow) an ISU homer so I think they hate they combination. And when he calls other KU games it's just the subtle "anti KU slant". God forbid everyone doesn't ride KU's jock strap.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Back-to-back Big Mondays against OU and KU in 2016 -- Musburger and Bilas.

It was easy to tell that Fran was not happy about being bumped, but he kept it professional.
What else would you expect from a Cyclone?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Very monotone and low energy. You don't hear the passion coming from him that Fran brings. Makes me want to take a nap.

I thought it was funny that Bilas was calling for refs to "use their diaphragms" when speaking into the ref review microphones. However, I find his voice is one of the hardest to hear on ESPN broadcasts because of the mix of crowd noise.

P.S. Not that I really want to hear much of what Bilas has to say anyway.

Reactions: CyNews

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
This is exactly what I was going to say. Bilas is awful. ESPN views Duke as the greatest basketball school by a large margin. Every Duke game gets put on ESPN. Not ESPN 2, not ESPN +, ESPN. They could be playing an NAIA school, and the #1 vs #2 team in the country could be playing at the same time, with ESPN holding rights to both games, and ESPN would play the Duke game on ESPN while the other game gets sent to ESPN 2. Jay Bilas played at Duke. It’s no wonder why he’s their main college basketball guy, even though he’s ******* the drizzling *****.

• Winner
Reactions: joefrog