Fraschilla Sure Thinks Monte Has An NBA Future

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
He mentioned it again a couple of times Saturday. I wouldn't disagree with him, hope Monte decides to postpone it for a year.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think he does too, but I think his payday could be better with another year. I agree with Fran that he could be a 12 year back up. Just go in, run the offense for others while giving the starter a blow.

If he could add 10 lbs of muscle and spend the summer at the Matt Thomas School of Lateral Quickness, he might even do more.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Of course I want Monte back at Iowa State next year, but he has elevated his play to the point where he could be a 1st round draft pick. So it's a win-win either way.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
well last I checked Monte was early 2nd or late 1st. I saw in some mock drafts they even have Perry and Isaiah taylor :twitcy:. Is Isaiah really NBA caliber? Yes he can drive but shouldn't NBA guards be able to shoot a 3.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
well last I checked Monte was early 2nd or late 1st. I saw in some mock drafts they even have Perry and Isaiah taylor :twitcy:. Is Isaiah really NBA caliber? Yes he can drive but shouldn't NBA guards be able to shoot a 3.
Derrick Rose disagrees.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Derrick Rose disagrees.
I guess I didn't think about that, but was Derrick Rose a way better player that led his team to the FF. I would argue that D Rose is a way better shooter even if it isn't from the 3 point.

I just feel like a second round guard that can't shoot a 3 and can only drive isn't as good as a number 1 pick.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I love the people who think he's not an NBA player and shouldn't go just because they want to be selfish and have him on the team next year.

Everyone wants him back next year but you also have to look at it from his perspective. This draft is pretty damn weak as not a lot of freshman are going to come out. All it takes is a promise from one team in the first round to make it worth it for him.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I don't know if Monte is an NBA talent, because I don't watch NBA. But Monte makes his teamates better. There are a lot of great scorers in he NBA who'd love to play with a PG who will get them the ball so they can score.

Monte's a PG. Being quick with a good handle is more important than strength. I'd love to have Monte back because he is an All-American level talent and one of the best PG at ISU ever.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
He has played himself into the first round lately. If he keeps this up he's probably gone. Which is fine by me, since it's hard for us to lose if Monte plays this well. I'd much prefer one long run this year in March than two trips to the second round because Monte didn't play well and had to return for his senior year.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I bet it's pretty close to 50/50 at this point for Monte returning.
I sure hope he can play up to a level where it's 85/15.

That's a win win for everyone.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I have no idea if he will leave but I'll bet a lot of money that he isn't a first rounder. If he does decide to leave I sure hope he slips in there though. That would be cool and I hear the money is good. :)

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Monte is a wonderful college PG..there's such a huge jump in talent between college and NBA. I think MM could make a team but I don't think he will get drafted if he left this year or maybe next too. In today's NBA you need to be able to hit shots from outside consistently..and his game just isn't there yet...just IMO. Think he's def a top 5 college pg right now though.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
One of he biggest things that is going to get Monte on the NBA radar is how great he is with the pick and roll, when you see scouting reports talk about guys like Tremble, Paige or Dunn, it mentions they need to get better at those reads. They don't say that about Monte. He has a leg up on the top guys at his position at running one of the most important NBA plays.

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI
Monte is a wonderful college PG..there's such a huge jump in talent between college and NBA. I think MM could make a team but I don't think he will get drafted if he left this year or maybe next too. In today's NBA you need to be able to hit shots from outside consistently..and his game just isn't there yet...just IMO. Think he's def a top 5 college pg right now though.

Outside shooting can improve with proper guidance and practice in the pros. His form is already pretty good, anyway. Harder to develop good decision-making/instincts, and he's top-tier (for college PGs) in that regard.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois

Thank you for proving my point.

BTW, I guess a player has never developed his game in the NBA. Only in college.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
One of he biggest things that is going to get Monte on the NBA radar is how great he is with the pick and roll, when you see scouting reports talk about guys like Tremble, Paige or Dunn, it mentions they need to get better at those reads. They don't say that about Monte. He has a leg up on the top guys at his position at running one of the most important NBA plays.
Monte knows like a cat the six or seven ways to run pick and roll. Big plus.