Fred > Fran

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
I see your point but I think you are kind of both right. Reading between the lines a bit but I think the side effect of his cancer is an inability to gain/retain weight, and his inability to gain/retain weight would make it hard to compete at this level. I think he has the tools to be a good player but he's going to have to put on weight, which I imagine is difficult given what his body has gone through.

I don't necessarily think it's "trolling him because of his cancer" to point out it's going to be hard for him to play at this level at his current weight, even if that weight issue is a byproduct of his cancer, It is, however, very unfortunate and I hope they can take this year to get it all sorted out.

Sure it was a troll by @CyTwins, but to his credit he backed off of it.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyTwins

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I see your point but I think you are kind of both right. Reading between the lines a bit but I think the side effect of his cancer is an inability to gain/retain weight, and his inability to gain/retain weight would make it hard to compete at this level. I think he has the tools to be a good player but he's going to have to put on weight, which I imagine is difficult given what his body has gone through.

I don't necessarily think it's "trolling him because of his cancer" to point out it's going to be hard for him to play at this level at his current weight, even if that weight issue is a byproduct of his cancer. In any event it's unfortunate and I hope they can get it worked out this season and I hope he can get into playing form and stay healthy.
Maybe he needs to go on the Justin Hamilton PB&J sandwich diet.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Fred sucks at Nebraska this year and next year looks brutal for them too. I think most coaches in college basketball are better than Fred now unfortunately

Fred just got to Nebraska, how can his coaching chops take such a huge hit in a 1/2 year that all of a sudden he is behind all other coaches? Plus his result are looking about the same as his results in year 1 at ISU.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Fred just got to Nebraska, how can his coaching chops take such a huge hit in a 1/2 year that all of a sudden he is behind all other coaches? Plus his result are looking about the same as his results in year 1 at ISU.

His year 2 isn't going to be like his year 2 at Iowa State

• Agree
Reactions: CyPunch

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
His year 2 isn't going to be like his year 2 at Iowa State

So what if Fred doesn't make the NCAA's in year 2? I mean he could miss the NCAA Tournament for the next 4 years and have as many NCAA appearances as Prohm did in his first 9 years.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So what if Fred doesn't make the NCAA's in year 2? I mean he could miss the NCAA Tournament for the next 4 years and have as many NCAA appearances as Prohm did in his first 9 years.

Yeah Fred was great at Iowa State. As soon as the transfer landscape changed his value dropped off majorly

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yeah Fred was great at Iowa State. As soon as the transfer landscape changed his value dropped off majorly

I'm just curious what you base that off of? When he left we had a Top 10 team returning. He was clearly doing just fine. There's no way you can base his "value" off of 1/2 a year at Nebraska.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'm just curious what you base that off of? When he left we had a Top 10 team returning. He was clearly doing just fine. There's no way you can base his "value" off of 1/2 a year at Nebraska.

Have you seen what his roster is going to look like next year? Even if they land a couple transfers this summer that are immediately eligible they're still going to struggle

• Agree

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Have you seen what his roster is going to look like next year? Even if they land a couple transfers this summer that are immediately eligible they're still going to struggle

But again you are basing his "value" off of a 1/2 year at Nebraska. He's also shown an ability to recruit and develop high school talent (Niang, Thomas, Monte, Naz). To summarily state that his "value dropped off majorily" because it's harder to bring in quality transfers is based on absolutely nothing.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
But again you are basing his "value" off of a 1/2 year at Nebraska. He's also shown an ability to recruit and develop high school talent (Niang, Thomas, Monte, Naz). To summarily state that his "value dropped off majorily" because it's harder to bring in quality transfers is based on absolutely nothing.

Look at the high school kids he's got coming in for 2020

• Winner

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I have one takeaway from this thread: it led me to look at the result of the Hawk/Husker game. Then I looked at their records.

Fred is 7-8 and 5th in the B10
Fran is 10-5 but only 12th in the B10

I realize that conference standing is based entirely on conference record, but reading that stat superficially made me laugh.

Carry on...

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Fred sucks at Nebraska this year and next year looks brutal for them too. I think most coaches in college basketball are better than Fred now unfortunately

Since it was looking bad for Fred with the Bulls I wondered how well he would do in a return to college. Coaching and recruiting is a grind. The latter of which it seems clear Fred dislikes. He was willing to suck it up and do it with the NBA goal in sight while at ISU. I wonder if he'll be able to do the same again. It's one thing to deal with the grind on your way up the mountain the first time. And at a place like Nebraska (or ISU for that matter) you can't just leave it up to the assistants if you want to get top talent. If a recruit is going to choose Nebraska over a good program with history, it requires serious attention by the head coach to seal the deal. Not to mention, he's getting to the point where HS recruits were in elementary when Fred last had a good season as a coach. I guess it depends on the kid, but I'd suspect that for many his name doesn't carry that much weight. There are some signs of life like last night, but they are piling up bad losses and blowouts, and the roster might be a bit better next year with Teddy Allen, it is not going to be very good.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018

Huh, I thought Fred did pretty well with his HS recruits. Morris, Niang, Long, Thomas seemed to preform pretty well. What has Prohm brought in as far as HS kids that have produced better than those guys? Fred also did better with off the radar transfers as well. Babb, Kane, McKay, Hogue, Nadar those weren't 5* transfers, heck I'm not even sure who Fred beat out for those guys.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Huh, I thought Fred did pretty well with his HS recruits. Morris, Niang, Long, Thomas seemed to preform pretty well. What has Prohm brought in as far as HS kids that have produced better than those guys? Fred also did better with off the radar transfers as well. Babb, Kane, McKay, Hogue, Nadar those weren't 5* transfers, heck I'm not even sure who Fred beat out for those guys.

Yeah HS kids want to play at Iowa State and in the Big 12. Not the same at Nebraska

Lol Babb, Kane and McKay would have blue bloods after them in today's landscape. Nader would have been highly sought after too. Hogue was a JUCO Fran wanted

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Yeah HS kids want to play at Iowa State and in the Big 12. Not the same at Nebraska

Lol Babb, Kane and McKay would have blue bloods after them in today's landscape. Nader would have been highly sought after too. Hogue was a JUCO Fran wanted

So you are saying Prohm would have no shot at getting a Babb, Kane and McKay. Got it.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

He had 2 decent HS classes here, the Niang/Long class and Morris/Thomas to follow that one up. Literally no other HS kid he recruited played for Prohm. He knew he was leaving and so did everyone else, killed his HS recruiting.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron