Freddy's new offense

acctingCLONE

Oct 18, 2011
Crossroads
KU game was the first game in person as I live in KC. It was very obvious to me that we need a PG. Not for ball pressure, but to get us in our offence. Until we have a PG I will reserve judgment.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
KU game was the first game in person as I live in KC. It was very obvious to me that we need a PG. Not for ball pressure, but to get us in our offence. Until we have a PG I will reserve judgment.
That would be next year then.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Freddy had an ear piece and Lutz was relaying plays from home while watching on TV.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Very pleased with the coaching the last four games. Fred is showing -wait for it - that he is LEARNING to be a coach. Although many simpletons think if he's not a good coach now, he can't ever become one. He's still got a ways to go, but the adjustments, strategies and player substitutions he's made lately have been pretty good. Give him a couple more years, he might even be outsmarting people.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
The defensive game plans for KU and Mizzou were spot on. Nobody could have planned for Taylor to go off like he did in the KU game. We took each team's best scorer out of the game.

liquorlyles

Jun 22, 2008
What did people think of our new offense we used against KU?

I'm not sure I saw anything new, but I must say that having RW as our PG on occassion is really growing on me. Didn't really like it at first, but I've finally been able to watch the last couple of games to see it in action. It's so simple it's almost brilliant.

It reminds me of when Eustachy went to a "1-4 flat" offense with Tinsley where he'd play four guys on, or near the baseline and JT out top. The four guys could watch a one-on-one matchup that JT would always win; finishing with a layup, teardrop or short jumper. Decide to bring help D and he would get an easy assist (or he'd just beat the double team)

Who needs five guys running around on offense trying to set screens for eachother and getting tired. Let four guys rest, watch Royce, wait for a pass and get ready to shoot if necessary. :wink:

I have no doubt Bill Self was truly honest when he said we were the toughest team to guard so far. Pick your poison playing him one-on-one, or double him at your own risk. Now if we just had a simple formula for our defense.....

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny
I'm not sure I saw anything new, but I must say that having RW as our PG on occassion is really growing on me. Didn't really like it at first, but I've finally been able to watch the last couple of games to see it in action. It's so simple it's almost brilliant.

It reminds me of when Eustachy went to a "1-4 flat" offense with Tinsley where he'd play four guys on, or near the baseline and JT out top. The four guys could watch a one-on-one matchup that JT would always win; finishing with a layup, teardrop or short jumper. Decide to bring help D and he would get an easy assist (or he'd just beat the double team)

Who needs five guys running around on offense trying to set screens for eachother and getting tired. Let four guys rest, watch Royce, wait for a pass and get ready to shoot if necessary. :wink:

I have no doubt Bill Self was truly honest when he said we were the toughest team to guard so far. Pick your poison playing him one-on-one, or double him at your own risk. Now if we just had a simple formula for our defense.....

Even at the end of the game when we were trying to come back, we were getting some really good looks from 3, they just weren't going down anymore. Offense hasn't been the problem all year long, with the exception of a few games when we couldn't hit anything. We've just struggled to string together stops on the defensive side of the ball. Thats been our achilles heal this year.

cyrobb

Jan 1, 2012
Pleasant Hill
We need another Babb, that guy was been a defensive machine. I haven't seen that type of shut down defense in a very long time. With out him he would have been slaughtered in the kanas and Mizzou game.

DrewCo

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2008
Quad Cities
We need another Babb, that guy was been a defensive machine. I haven't seen that type of shut down defense in a very long time. With out him he would have been slaughtered in the kanas and Mizzou game.
When Babb is hitting shots he is VERY valuable to this team.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Even at the end of the game when we were trying to come back, we were getting some really good looks from 3, they just weren't going down anymore.

Unfortunately those good looks were mostly for Ejim who can't be counted on behind the arc at all.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay

Iowa State blows 2nd-half lead in loss to Kansas - Sports - Wire - TheState.com

May not look a whole lot different to you, but it was a departure from what we had been running before.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I love Chris Babb, I would like to see him post up a little more, he is 6'5 and far from a beanpole. He develops that part of his game look out.