• I attended ISU but graduated from somewhere else

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I attended ISU but not graduate

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have a family member who went to ISU who made me a fan

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I have a friend who went to ISU who made me a fan

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other way that I became an ISU fan (please elaborate)

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • I am not an ISU fan - here as a rival

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a troll, not an ISU fan

• I am a robot, not an ISU fan

• Total voters

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
My parents both graduated from ISU. I’ve going to Iowa State games since I was born, and my family has had season tickets for football my entire life. I always thought I would end up at Iowa State but don’t go to school there currently (currently play a sport at a small school). Plan is to go to grad school at ISU after I graduate.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Growing up my household was pro sports and high school sports. I didn't become a Cyclone fan until I matriculted. Been hooked ever since though.

Reactions: Angie

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Although it was questionable whether or not it would happen as a Freshman, I am a proud ISU graduate.

I took my son on a campus tour on Sunday. Not getting back all that often, I really forgot how absolutely stunningly beautiful the campus is in the Fall when the leaves are changing.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
The folks who know me know that *technically* I am a WSU Coug. However, that was 40+ years ago, and I dropped out to get married. I'm a Cyclone because I became employed at ISU back in 1984, and retired from there after 33 years. If that doesn't make me a Cyclone, NOTHING will. :D

I was raised by an Aggie...Thanksgiving day was always spent hollering at the 'horns...

Reactions: NWICY and Angie

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The folks who know me know that *technically* I am a WSU Coug. However, that was 40+ years ago, and I dropped out to get married. I'm a Cyclone because I became employed at ISU back in 1984, and retired from there after 33 years. If that doesn't make me a Cyclone, NOTHING will. :D

I was raised by an Aggie...Thanksgiving day was always spent hollering at the 'horns...
KC admitted to being a cougar.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Then had another buddy on our floor who liked basketball and we used to go sit behind the opposing team's bench and razz them and their coaches (Sit down Norm!). Johnny was announced as coach the last year I was there but I was gone before he began.

I had to google how long Norm had been at Mizzou since husband speaks of chanting that same thing in the mid to late 90's. ('67-'99 is the answer)

So I married into the fandom. I grew up in the Chicago area as a fan of Notre Dame. (Dad got his masters there) We'd only been married just over a month when Iowa State broke the losing streak against that team out east. I've been a Cubs fan for a looooonnnnggg time. I like being a fan of the underdog. Although, it's quite nice to not have that type of moniker in every single game.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Grew up an Illinois fan, everyone but me went their in my family. 05 ISU alum so I bleed cardinal and gold.

Reactions: NWICY

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I knew next to nothing about Iowa State or the Sports. Went on a visit to ISU because it was a good engineering school and fell in love with the campus and engineering program. Growing up a MN sports fan I felt right at home watching ISU sports :)

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I grew up in the area and attended ISU on the weekends. Mostly in the dorms but did crash a lecture once for the experience.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This such an important point. Growing up in Sioux City when I did you wouldn't even know ISU existed from all the Nebraska & Iowa noise. The difference is huge now (and basketball has been a big part of it). There are a LOT of people on the bandwagon now that have never been to Ames and we want and need them.
Shouldn’t Gesell and Trex make them Iowa basketball fans??

Sorry, hard to type that without laughing.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

You guys didn’t have weird traditions with bonfires did you?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Grew up basically indifferent at first. Older sister married an ISU grad and I noticed how douchey Iowa fans were so I started following ISU. Applied to ISU and Kstate (as a backup). Class of ‘94. Now have one kid there and next year two. (And I’m mad that kids of in state alums do not even get a token scholly). Probably a third in 6.

Oh, I married into a tavern hawk family, so I did breed it out of one of them.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
2005 ISU grad. Spent far too much time in Hamilton Hall. Greenlee School of Journalism, baby!

Grew up an Iowa fan surrounded by all Iowa fans. Around my sophomore year in high school I became an ISU fan after watching ISU bear Iowa in football and seeing my entire family ***** and moan and whine like babies. Played football with Jeff Horner and tried to recruit him to play basketball at ISU, but he wasn’t down.

Now dad (now deceased) had become an isu fan. Mom is. Brother is. Niece and nephew are. One of my cousin’s kids is. So we’re gradually getting there.