Friday OT #2 - It's Gonna Get Weird

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Last week, we saw Gogol Bordello (a band) at a concert. If you are unfamiliar with them, definitely YouTube - here's a quick concert clip

I'm pretty sure it was easily the weirdest thing I've ever seen in concert, but also one of the more awesome. Who have you seen in concert/listened to (or do you want to see) that is just bizarre? Videos encouraged (so long as safe for work)!

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
That is fantastic!

I'm guessing something else will come back to me, but for me Dred Zeppelin was one of the strangest in my experience.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That is fantastic!

I'm guessing something else will come back to me, but for me Dred Zeppelin was one of the strangest in my experience.

It was so legitimately awesome! I looked over at one point and Janny's jaw was just dropped - it was this amazing, hilarious, but really GOOD spectacle. They're going to be in Des Moines on 10/28, I think it is - we're really debating going again.

I bet Dred Zeppelin would be awesomely bizarre, too!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I saw 30 Seconds to Mars when the old Toad Holler was in business at least 15 years ago (they opened for Chevelle). At the time, I thought "this is the weirdest band I've ever seen."

• Funny

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
2 Skinnee J's was an odd bunch, although in hindsight I think they were more gimmicky than they were bizarre. The band all wore red jumpsuits and gold helmets, and there was one dude in a suit and beret who just kind of hung out on the side of the stage. Just stood there the whole set with his arms folded, watching the band or the crowd.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Definitely Gil Mantera's Party Dream. I saw them 3 times in Kansas City. WEIRD

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Last week, we saw Gogol Bordello (a band) at a concert.

I'm pretty sure it was easily the weirdest thing I've ever seen in concert, but also one of the more awesome. Who have you seen in concert/listened to (or do you want to see) that is just bizarre? Videos encouraged (so long as safe for work)!

I saw them at the downtown DSM People's several years ago. Maybe 2009 ??? To this day it is one of my favorite concerts. Non-stop entertainment. It was described to me as Gypsy Punk before the show and totally lived up to the hype.

• Agree

CycloneTJS

Jan 29, 2009
Cedar Rapids
Well, that was 7 minutes and 17 seconds of my life that I will never get back, and I'm not sure if I am better or worse for the time spent?!?!? Thanks for sharing!

• Funny

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I used to follow a local band in high school some that lead me to a concert at Hairy Mary's. I'll never forget one of the opening bands was Feathers are Beautiful. The lead guitar, bass player and drummer came out and warmed up for a few minutes then just stood there waiting. Turns out they had to wait for the bartender to have help arrive because he was the lead singer. He proceeded to scream into a microphone for a good half hour straight then headed back to the bar.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I saw them at the downtown DSM People's several years ago. Maybe 2009 ??? To this day it is one of my favorite concerts. Non-stop entertainment. It was described to me as Gypsy Punk before the show and totally lived up to the hype.

It's totally gypsy punk! Not even Run the Jewels got a moshpit at this festival - but Gogol Bordello did! I had read "Russian gypsy punk with an occasional smattering of polka" before we saw them, and it was just amazing. We are really, really debating going to Wooly's for a full set.

Well, that was 7 minutes and 17 seconds of my life that I will never get back, and I'm not sure if I am better or worse for the time spent?!?!? Thanks for sharing!

It is an experience for sure! :D

Reactions: SCyclone

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
In another thread, I found out that @cyclones500 and I were at the same Too Much Joy concert in 1991. Not that their music was all that weird for a punk band but I had just moved to a big city from Iowa and the crowd seemed a bit "out there" compared to what I usually saw. Maybe it was because cyclones500 was there. He seems pretty sketchy.

In summary, I tried something new and learned that I could thoroughly enjoy it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Guy named Johnny Corndog played with Middle Brother a few years ago. Interesting dude. Saw him by himself once, funny stuff.

• Funny

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Guy named Johnny Corndog played with Middle Brother a few years ago. Interesting dude. Saw him by himself once, funny stuff.

That is a freaking phenomenal stage name.

When I was, like, 4, my dad had a good friend nicknamed "Hot Dog." To this day, I don't know Hot Dog's real name, but I've come to appreciate what a spectacular nickname it is.

Reactions: NWICY

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Here's a couple I enjoy listening to. First one is definitely NSFW.

These guys were actually pretty decent live but they've got some weird tracks too. Nevermind the fact that ALO stands for Animal Liberation Orchestra. I saw them in Minneapolis with Matt Costa who is extremely awkward on stage. I remember him going on mid show about the fact that gummy worms are his favorite candy and goofy stuff like that.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Last week, we saw Gogol Bordello (a band) at a concert. If you are unfamiliar with them, definitely YouTube - here's a quick concert clip

Yeah, it's going to be very hard to top Gogol Bordello for me. They were just all kinds of bizarre. The lead singer came out, straight up dressed like a pirate, with a puffy, frilly white shirt, big red sash, and black leather pants. He had a bottle of wine in his hand for most of the set, which he'd take a pull on every once in a while, but mostly sloshed it all over. I'll bet plenty of people in the front got doused with it. He was an absolute madman on stage. Just flying all over the place. I felt bad for the poor roadie who had to follow him around and untangle his microphone cord from everything. It was a full time job. And the singer might not have been the strangest member of the band. Every person on stage was weird in one way or another. But the crowd just loved every minute of it. Just a rollicking, loud, strange, loud, good, loud band. I really enjoyed them.

• Agree

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yeah, it's going to be very hard to top Gogol Bordello for me. They were just all kinds of bizarre. The lead singer came out, straight up dressed like a pirate, with a puffy, frilly white shirt, big red sash, and black leather pants. He had a bottle of wine in his hand for most of the set, which he'd take a pull on every once in a while, but mostly sloshed it all over. I'll bet plenty of people in the front got doused with it. He was an absolute madman on stage. Just flying all over the place. I felt bad for the poor roadie who had to follow him around and untangle his microphone cord from everything. It was a full time job. And the singer might not have been the strangest member of the band. Every person on stage was weird in one way or another. But the crowd just loved every minute of it. Just a rollicking, loud, strange, loud, good, loud band. I really enjoyed them.

Even the sort of older, dignified man wearing the same Run-DMC t-shirt we'd just purchased our toddler that same day (in the upper left in the photo below) playing bass would lose some of his stoicism, stand up on top of a speaker, and make a spectacle out of himself.

EP-160319816.jpg

They were just flat-out awesome. It was so, so weird.

Although, the lead singer for IRONTOM was pretty eccentric - but not in the same "WTF did I just see but totally loved?!" way as GB.

harty83

Nov 15, 2006
Sioux Falls SD
As a preface, I haven't actually seen these guys. I like browsing through youtube for covers of popular songs in a contrasting and/or offbeat style and ran across this once. So weird, but oddly entertaining.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Easy answer for me, as far as live show: The Frogs.

Saw the band once at 7th Street Entry, ‘round about ’90. Superlatives do not do it justice (or injustice, for that matter).

Quick-search online didn't get many good live clips (from that venue or others near that period) .... Closest one of decent quality I found: Crocodile Cafe, Seattle, 1995.

Following Angie’s rule, it’s "appropriate" for work, as long as you’re wearing headphones. :)

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
That is a freaking phenomenal stage name.

When I was, like, 4, my dad had a good friend nicknamed "Hot Dog." To this day, I don't know Hot Dog's real name, but I've come to appreciate what a spectacular nickname it is.

I worked a turnaround with a guy who went by "Pork Chop". No idea what his actual name was. Calling over the radio to him was always good for a chuckle.

As far as concerts go, I'll go with the Flaming Lips in OKC on New Years' Eve. They played their regular set, then as an encore, did the whole Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon.

• Funny