Friday OT #2 - Let's Get Physical

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My husband and I were talking about physical comedy for some reason earlier this week. Between the two of us, we came up with this list of the four best ones we could think of off-hand, in sort of chronological order:

D-ick Van Dyke
Steve Martin
John Ritter
Chris Farley

I'm sure we're missing some, and I know that there are obvious examples like The Three Stooges and Jerry Lewis, or people who have a physical face, like Jim Carrey. We also thought of comedians who largely weren't physical but did a single great physical performance (Robin Williams was pretty physical in "Popeye," for example) - but who are we missing? What are your favorite physical comedians or performances?

(This thread may be too specific?)

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Going back a l-o-o-o-o-n-g way, I always think of Keaton, Chaplin, and Harold Lloyd....when films had no dialogue, the physical action had to help explain a great deal of the story. Lloyd in particular excelled at physical stunts that today would probably be no-nos, at least with the actual star actor performing them.
An example, which you might remember seeing at one time or another:
1620391362764.png
Another film where Lloyd hung from a trolley arm:
1620391443576.png

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Going back a l-o-o-o-o-n-g way, I always think of Keaton, Chaplin, and Harold Lloyd....when films had no dialogue, the physical action had to help explain a great deal of the story. Lloyd in particular excelled at physical stunts that today would probably be no-nos, at least with the actual star actor performing them.
An example, which you might remember seeing at one time or another:
View attachment 85011
Another film where Lloyd hung from a trolley arm:
View attachment 85012

I admittedly have only seen a few films (or parts thereof) from this era! It really is amazing what they conveyed without sound.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Sounds like he's kind of a doosh in real life but Chevy Chase, especially in the Vacation movies.

Yeah, it physically pains me that he's apparently an a-hole, because he is honestly so funny on-camera. I think it would take a lot to make Bill Murray physically attack you.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
My kids and I have been on a huge Three Stooges kick. Some things that stood out to me.

-Some of their skits are nearly 100 years old.
-The stunts they pull and knowing it's not CGI is amazing.
-Comedy still holds up. Easy plotlines to follow.
-I had no idea Moe, Shemp and Curly were actual brothers in real life.
-Curly is an amazing actor.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I admittedly have only seen a few films (or parts thereof) from this era! It really is amazing what they conveyed without sound.

If you decide to explore early silent films, I will give you two great ones to start with: The Passion of Joan of Arc by Carl Theodor Dreyer, and Sunrise by F. W. Murnau. I own DVDs of both these films, and they are excellent in every way.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Yeah, it physically pains me that he's apparently an a-hole, because he is honestly so funny on-camera. I think it would take a lot to make Bill Murray physically attack you.

Not sure if true, but read recently that the director of one of Chevy's movies always had a plane ticket in her hand in case he got to be too much for her.

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

20eyes

May 15, 2020
John Belushi didn't get as physical as Chris Farley but stuff like Samurai Deli and the Blues Brothers required his physicality to punch up the comedy, which it did.

I'm not an avid watcher anymore but it occurs to me that I think SNL is a lot less physical than in the early years. Martin, Belushi, Chase, all had really funny physical bits...and The Land Shark is one of the greatest bits...

• Agree
Reactions: chadm and Angie