Friday OT #2 - You Fall, And You Crawl, And You Break

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The first thought that came to mind for me was "The Catcher in the Rye". Basically everyone except the little girl winds up kind of being a POS in that book.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
tenor.gif
Gif reminded me of Every Which Way But Loose. I think it qualifies. Maybe the monkey was a bit likeable but I hated that movie.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
American History X is tough to watch, but such a damn good movie.
And Lock Stock is fantastic as well.

I'll add a very similar movie in Snatch. They could basically be sequels

It's hard to dislike any character in Snatch. Love that movie.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I presume Charlie Bucket is likable in the book (never read it) but he sucks in the 1971 adaptation.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I think the intent is these are supposed to be 'good' shows, or at least have some redeeming qualities besides an unlikable cast of characters.
Excellent point! None of those shows were good.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The first thought that came to mind for me was "The Catcher in the Rye". Basically everyone except the little girl winds up kind of being a POS in that book.

Yeah, Phoebe is the only one who has a true likeability - but even she is a little spoiled and sullen. It's a hard book to wrap your mind around. Similarly, "The Great Gatsby" is filled with broken characters.

I presume Charlie Bucket is likable in the book (never read it) but he sucks in the 1971 adaptation.

Grandpa Joe is the true villain of that movie.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, Phoebe is the only one who has a true likeability - but even she is a little spoiled and sullen. It's a hard book to wrap your mind around. Similarly, "The Great Gatsby" is filled with broken characters.

Grandpa Joe is the true villain of that movie.

Wait, what? Not arguing, just curious about this take. Haven't seen it in forever and never heard this take (nor had I thought about it).

• Haha

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Most of the characters in “Closer” were pretty unlikable for one reason or another, as much as I hate to say it because I’m in love with Natalie Portman.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Wait, what? Not arguing, just curious about this take. Haven't seen it in forever and never heard this take (nor had I thought about it).
Ignore the early 2000s Geocities vibe, but this website has a pretty extensive breakdown.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

So, that old dickhead just lies in bed for YEARS, making his indigent... daughter? Daughter-in-law? and his 8-YEAR-OLD GRANDSON work their hands to the bone, everyone living on hot chicken water, lying in one bed with three other people in what I assume is just a stew of old people farts. Then, as soon as Charlie gets a Golden Ticket, that old ***hole can sprint and do gymnastics around their shack?

THEN, when they get to the factory, Charlie's doing great and clearly winning the race to inherit the factory... until who decides to gank the fizzy lifting drink and force Charlie to drink it? That old ******, Grandpa Joe.

"Fun old man," naw. He was a pariah.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So, that old dickhead just lies in bed for YEARS, making his indigent... daughter? Daughter-in-law? and his 8-YEAR-OLD GRANDSON work their hands to the bone, everyone living on hot chicken water, lying in one bed with three other people in what I assume is just a stew of old people farts. Then, as soon as Charlie gets a Golden Ticket, that old ***hole can sprint and do gymnastics around their shack?

THEN, when they get to the factory, Charlie's doing great and clearly winning the race to inherit the factory... until who decides to gank the fizzy lifting drink and force Charlie to drink it? That old ******, Grandpa Joe.

"Fun old man," naw. He was a pariah.

I've looked into it more and will have to watch but basically it sounds like he's apathetic to the issues the children are going through and takes glee in their demise.

I always just thought the 'gets up all the sudden' was a plot hole deal or something.

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've looked into it more and will have to watch but basically it sounds like he's apathetic to the issues the children are going through and takes glee in their demise.

I always just thought the 'gets up all the sudden' was a plot hole deal or something.

I figure this is a Roald Dahl story, who loves the absurd - it's my hope that it was a little Easter egg that he hid this awful human in plain sight. ;)