Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Splurge: good live band, lots of booze

Cheap: pretty much everything else

Our wedding was a 5 minute ceremony at the venue where we originally met with essentially no wedding party. We had happy hour before hand and encouraged our guests to drink during the ceremony. The venue completely ran out of alcohol that night as we had close to 400 guests and it was a very thirsty crowd.

People who were there still bring it up to us that it was the most fun they've ever had at a wedding.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
We splurged on food, drink, and a photographer.
Went cheap on invitations, flowers, decorations, and Mrs had an affordable dress.

One thing I didn't really get at the time was my wife pushing for the photographer so we "own" ALL the images vs only getting some.
Now I get it.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Thanks so much to @JP4CY for this topic!

Could you imagine spending this much? I heard a blurb on the radio:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/ente...-ambani-radhika-merchant-101709534466438.html

Would be what did people splurge/go cheap on with their wedding?
My wife and I spent under $1500 on our wedding between her dress, flowers, dinner after and money for the preacher. It was the second wedding for both of us, so saw no need for a lot of guests and a reception (though we told her mom we'd do that later and then just "forgot").

We both saw the expense of a wedding as a total waste of money.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Honestly, you could have a small and simple wedding and then take what you would spend on the wedding and buy literally everything you would have on the registry and then some. Have some one grill steaks and throw out a couple cases of beer and wine be better off.

My wife’s family loves attention, mine doesn’t. We had a 500+ invitation list and I had maybe 50 and I felt I pushed my list too high. I have a large group of cousins and invited almost none of them

Spend a little more on her ring and nice photos, save on the tuxes, dresses, flowers and a fancy reception venue.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Splurge on a celebration after you've been married "x" amount of years. We're doing this for our 40th this year.

By today's standards our wedding 40 years ago was cheap: 2 attendants each, my mom and I made the flower arrangements, I made the programs, my dress was on sale, we bought the bridesmaids dresses on sale for $20 each, Mom was a photographer and did our pictures. Our reception was a meal (pulled pork & a bunch of sides) and cake. No dance, no drinking. And the place was packed. If I could do it all over, we would've had just the family at the wedding ceremony (no tux rental, simple white dress for me, and kept the reception the same. Or eloped and used the money to help us get started.

Most relaxing and fun wedding we've been to over the years: Friends were married in their yard. Guests brought their lawn chairs and food for the potluck afterwards.

Reactions: Angie and BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Splurge on a celebration after you've been married "x" amount of years. We're doing this for our 40th this year.

By today's standards our wedding 40 years ago was cheap: 2 attendants each, my mom and I made the flower arrangements, I made the programs, my dress was on sale, we bought the bridesmaids dresses on sale for $20 each, Mom was a photographer and did our pictures. Our reception was a meal (pulled pork & a bunch of sides) and cake. No dance, no drinking. And the place was packed. If I could do it all over, we would've had just the family at the wedding ceremony (no tux rental, simple white dress for me, and kept the reception the same. Or eloped and used the money to help us get started.

Most relaxing and fun wedding we've been to over the years: Friends were married in their yard. Guests brought their lawn chairs and food for the potluck afterwards.
I went to one that was done on their acreage, had hay bales to sit on (rowed like chairs and had blankets on them that you could take for keep sakes), cattle tanks with whatever you wanted to drink and a reception in the machine shed. It was a fun style wedding.

Reactions: Angie and RLD4ISU

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Honestly, you could have a small and simple wedding and then take what you would spend on the wedding and buy literally everything you would have on the registry and then some. Have some one grill steaks and throw out a couple cases of beer and wine be better off.

My wife’s family loves attention, mine doesn’t. We had a 500+ invitation list and I had maybe 50 and I felt I pushed my list too high. I have a large group of cousins and invited almost none of them

Spend a little more on her ring and nice photos, save on the tuxes, dresses, flowers and a fancy reception venue.
Gonna tell my daughter when she gets married she gets X amount. Say that's $10k when it happens. I'm gonna tell her she can use it on anything-wedding, honeymoon, or house down-payment.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Splurge: Nothing
Cheap: Everything

We eloped on the beach in the town we were living in at the time. So my parents and sister came for the weekend. My wife's friends husband got ordained and did the ceremony while my wife's friend took pictures. We woke up early to do it at sunrise on the beach. Afterwards, we did breakfast at a place and then later that night, went out to dinner at a restaurant.

Also, we did this on the quick because we were moving from Kansas City to the east coast and I was trying to work out a remote work situation with my company at the time. The original plan was to move temporarily for two years and be back. My wife had left because of her new job and I was staying in her condo, which she was trying to sell. Eventually enough drama ensued at work from the CEO to the point where a couple days before closing, and no resolution to my job situation, I walked in to work and said that I'm resigning, what time do you want me to leave today. Left by noon.

Kept money in bank account for house because, boy did we need it after getting married in July 2019.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Gonna tell my daughter when she gets married she gets X amount. Say that's $10k when it happens. I'm gonna tell her she can use it on anything-wedding, honeymoon, or house down-payment.
I am going to do the same except I will give X and pay for the dress. She has been dating a guy from a tight family but both parents have parents who have been married several times so Christmas type stuff is huge and drawn out. It’s very possible the grooms invites could dwarf the brides. So I will suggest a smaller one and then have a nice honeymoon.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Splurged on having open bar for reception and most of the dance.

Went to Tan-Tar-A for honeymoon in the Ozarks so went a little cheaper route. Plus side was a new restaurant had opened there but didn’t have their liquor license so we got complimentary beer and booze. They couldn’t sell it was all.

Honeymoon was cut short as a grandparent had a stroke the day after the wedding and passed away then the next day.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I've always said when you look back at weddings you attended or were a part of what things do you usually remember years later. It's usually the food and entertainment. Everything else is usually a big waste of time and money if you think you have to spend hours and excessive ammount of money on flowers and decorations or trinkets for guests.

I was cleaning out my basement storage this winter and I found a "mix tape" CD from a wedding I went to probably 15+ years ago. Never listened to it and it went to the trash this time. Just an example of wasted time and money to make those that I bet the similar fate happened to most of the CDs that went home with guests. Another thing that sounds good in theory but probably played out bad was when people used to put disposable cameras at tables and ask guests to take pictures. Many of those find their way into the bathroom later in the evening for some pranks. I guess nowadays the equivalent is a link or QR code to post pictures online but before then when disposable cameras were the thing always felt that was a waste.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
We had a large wedding, splurged on food and open bar. Our honeymoon was fairly cheap. Took a trip to New Orleans and the Gulf Coast. Utlizied my in-law's winter condo in Diamondhead, MS for 10 days. Got married in Oct 2001.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
We splurged on a live band and food. (I would say beer, but thanks to my friendships with local brewers, we had craft beer gifted to us for our wedding.)

I did not care about decorations.

Reactions: Angie and NWICY

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
We bought a farm, or, more precisely, we bought a mortgage. That was the splurge.

The 4th of July that year, we went all out and bought two cans of Mt. Dew.

Good times.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My wife and I spent under $1500 on our wedding between her dress, flowers, dinner after and money for the preacher. It was the second wedding for both of us, so saw no need for a lot of guests and a reception (though we told her mom we'd do that later and then just "forgot").

We both saw the expense of a wedding as a total waste of money.
I would guess second marriages would be less frills than a first. I don’t think I’ve ever been invited to a second marriage for both and don’t know if I would attend if it was a big, traditional wedding type thing. I would have to be very close to them.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I would guess second marriages would be less frills than a first. I don’t think I’ve ever been invited to a second marriage for both and don’t know if I would attend if it was a big, traditional wedding type thing. I would have to be very close to them.
My first wedding happened to be the same way. Neither of us wanted a big deal (or a church wedding for that matter), so we just had a ceremony at my parent's house.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’m some weddings you go to you just know they are doomed. My wife was at one and the day after her friends wedding, the bride called my wife to see what her “friend” did that night. Turns out the groom pushed the wedding to try to keep the bride from having affairs. It last a couple weeks.

I went to a relatives and was surprised at his bride. Mostly because we all assumed he was gay. It last around a year and he got remarried to a man this time.