Friday OT - Sad Songs and Waltzes

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Loved Tears for Fears when I was younger. I discovered this new song recently. Nice sentiments for a funeral.

Reactions: Angie

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
I'd go with Great Gig in the Sky but I have a feeling by the time I die, the kids these days won't have a clue what that song means.
I don't know Dark Side of the Moon seems to be an album that multiple generations seem to "discover." I got into it as a teenager back in 2005 and think it will always speak to people.

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017

I'm not too religious but I've always liked this song and listen to it after someone dies.

CyclonePigskin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2010
DSM
Dust In the Wind

Ripple
Brokedown Palace

Box of Rain

I don’t want a funeral, and unfortunately, the people who would most appreciate my musical choices for any wake/memorial party have already crossed the bar.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I would like something, joyful thoughtful, uplifting, and maybe classical to say my life was important and meaningful. Having a funny, ironic, sardonic song may say I was fun, too.

A sad song (likely seeing the video does help push the desolation):

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I’m going Shotgun Willie style.

No boring sad funeral, it’ll be a wake and bake. Then blast some 90’s hip hop and alt rock and break out the Doritos.

• Funny
Reactions: Angie and NWICY

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

When I Get to Heaven by John Price would probably be a good song for the right kind of funeral.

On a serious note, honestly I just want people to do what they want for mine. The funeral is more for them than for me, I'll be dead. I like Hymn of Promise---it was played during a friend's funeral a few years after we graduated from college.

JK4ISU

Dec 5, 2022
Ames
When I was in college at ISU, a good friend committed suicide. They played this at his funeral and so it has always seemed like a funeral song to me. I’d like it to be played at my funeral.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I’m going Shotgun Willie style.

No boring sad funeral, it’ll be a wake and bake. Then blast some 90’s hip hop and alt rock and break out the Doritos.

I got a book this summer while we were making our wills, called “I’m Dead, Now What?” I wrote my own obit and funeral plans - I also just want a party, but I want a life-sized cutout of myself and all of the food just to be s****y Jello salads with mayonnaise on top like you get a Methodist church potluck.

Last song of the party is “Pony,” no argument. #ginuwineforever

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
If you're happy and you know it clap your hands:)

Korn - Dead Bodies Everywhere?

I Prevail - There's Fear In Letting Go?

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron