Friday OT - Weird Interests

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
It's more unique on here and in the U.S. generally, but I follow the German soccer leagues. In the U.S. it's a lot more common to follow other leagues.

Also, I garden (which isn't the unique part), but I also include a stalk or two of corn (mostly as an "I'm from Iowa" bit). I have also been on a multi-year quest to find Canola for my garden and finally found some! So I am very excited about including that in my garden this year. Assuming it grows, it is very pretty and has a nice smell

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
YT rabbit holes.

Old live music performances, movie/show clips, etc.

A recent one was finding old 90's high school football games of teams or players I was familiar with or even knew at one time or another. I grew up around high school football so maybe it's just revisiting that era for simpler times.

Otherwise I'm often researching outdoor/wilderness spots in WI/U.P. for potential trips. Something about that is very relaxing.

Reactions: Angie

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
It's really not that weird (or uncommon), but true crime. I listen to a few different podcasts, and I visit the Iowa Cold Cases web site periodically to read about unsolved local cases. There are some crazy ones out there and some where it's clear the investigation just sucked.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I got into collecting bourbon around Covid. It started as looking for Buffalo Trace when I'd go to Wal Mart and now I'm probably somewhere around 75-80 bottles at any given time. Just an absurdly dumb way to spend your money, and honestly I don't drink it more than maybe a glass or two a week. But I love trying to find rare bottles or to find new distillers that are making a good product.
I could see me doing this too. My wife doesn't seem to approve of this type of behavior so my collection has not really taken off. She seems to think I need to finish what I have before buying anything new.

brother bob

Feb 20, 2008
7 Seas of Rhye
I would sit for hours on end just listening to songs through my headphones, usually some of the 300 plus vinyl records I have and pick out the little nuances that make it good. Spotify is making it easier though.
Makes me happy when I get through with any one song and then listen to it again and pick out the little 'colors' that make it worth listening to.

My wife and son think I'm crazy - but I'm not. Like Sheldon Lee Cooper, my mama had me tested...and I'm OK!

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
I'm continuously surprised at how many people out there are into finger painting....in public restrooms...with their own poop.

Part of my job is managing about 20 parks and boat launches...our custodian encounters this WAY too often.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This probably isn't that weird per say, but my wife would say otherwise. I find anything about outer space and all of the physics, science and technology around it so fascinating and most of it mind blowing. The huge scale of things is almost unthinkable and hard to wrap your head around if you think about it. Shows like "How the Universe Works" and documentaries and discoveries from Hubble and now the JWST just leave me in amazement.
My wife is the same way. To me, space is fascinating in its scope and the unknown element. I could watch anything space related and be content.

I'm also that way with a lot of historical content.

I'm curious if other CFers got into history as they got older. I detested history in school when I was younger and I'm positive it is due to how it was taught to us (being forced to memorize dates and people, versus why something happened). Now, I absorb that stuff like a sponge.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I could lose hours of my life on Google Maps just zooming into various places in the world and researching the culture/topography/things to do, etc. Give me an unlimited budget and I would travel the world for a long long time.
One of the more interesting apps for my Occulus VR headset is the one that basically utilizes Streetview to drop you anywhere you want to be and have a 360 view.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
My wife is the same way. To me, space is fascinating in its scope and the unknown element. I could watch anything space related and be content.

I'm also that way with a lot of historical content.

I'm curious if other CFers got into history as they got older. I detested history in school when I was younger and I'm positive it is due to how it was taught to us (being forced to memorize dates and people, versus why something happened). Now, I absorb that stuff like a sponge.
Yep. Can't get enough. My wife still makes fun of me because one day she came home and found me watching a documentary on 'The History of the Steering Wheel'. Big fan of military/war history, the Kelsey Grammar show on FOX Business (I think) is pretty good stuff, learn a lot about lesser known details of specific battles during the Revolutionary War, Civil War, etc. Also like the series on the History Channel 'The Cars That Built America', 'The Foods That Built America', etc.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I also love watching Forensic Files. The show gets to the point in 30 minutes... It takes Dateline FOREVER to get to the ending.

Reactions: MJ29

Mar 21, 2021
I've enjoyed metal detecting since I was in 6th grade. While in Ames in early 80s, in preparation for digging up steam tunnels on central campus, they salvaged/stripped off a large patch of the sod over the tunnels. I had a field day recovering old coins there. Also have dug/recovered lots of Civ. War relics in DC area.
Also like trees. I have 90+ species growing on my 6 acres in So. Minn.

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
I love a good documentary. Doesnt even really matter what its about.

also, Pearl Jam concert posters. They have a poster for each show that are unique to the city. Some really cool ones out there and some also expensive ones. It has kind of turned into something akin to collecting baseball cards.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Over the years spending countless hours in a tractor or on long flights overseas for my day job I’ve become addicted to podcasts. Mainly love ones like 99 Percent Invisible, Twenty Thousand Hertz, Science Vs, This American Life, etc. Mainly its podcasts that talk about the design, history, stories, science, to so many aspects of every day life that I would never research or read about on my own. It’s sent me down many research rabbit holes after listening to one (history of mechanical lubrication through whale oil was an unexpected good deep dive) and I love it.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I love a good documentary. Doesnt even really matter what its about.

also, Pearl Jam concert posters. They have a poster for each show that are unique to the city. Some really cool ones out there and some also expensive ones. It has kind of turned into something akin to collecting baseball cards.
That new album is awesome.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron