FSU not bowl eligible?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
There is no way that they are going to do anything this late. If they declare FSU not eligible, then they no only could not play, they are also in violation of the NCAA rules for additional practices without being in a bowl game.

Seems like a pretty silly rule anyway. When you schedule a team 5 years in advance, how do you know what percentage of scholarships they will have by the time the game is played?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
There is no way that they are going to do anything this late. If they declare FSU not eligible, then they no only could not play, they are also in violation of the NCAA rules for additional practices without being in a bowl game.

Seems like a pretty silly rule anyway. When you schedule a team 5 years in advance, how do you know what percentage of scholarships they will have by the time the game is played?

Had they not been arrogant, they could have applied for the waiver anytime between the day the game was scheduled and this season. That seems to be the lesson here, better safe than sorry. I wish they would have to miss this game but there is no way that will happen.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Nice job out of Reddit but that is just wasted time. I guess its just another tarnish on the utter farse that is the NCAA but perhaps they missed the whole UNC investigation. The NCAA only enforces rules when it suits their purpose.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Had they not been arrogant, they could have applied for the waiver anytime between the day the game was scheduled and this season. That seems to be the lesson here, better safe than sorry. I wish they would have to miss this game but there is no way that will happen.

Why is it FSU's job to know how many scholarships the opposing team has?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
So they don't end up in a situation like this?

I'm sure they will ask about it now, but that rule seems so small that I'd actually "side" with FSU on this one. Doesn't DSU have a duty (not legal, but perhaps ethical) to let their opponent know? If I was a P5 team you better believe every new contract I write with an FCS team will have that language in it, "FCS School agrees to use at least 90% of available scholarships."

Reactions: heitclone

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'm sure they will ask about it now, but that rule seems so small that I'd actually "side" with FSU on this one. Doesn't DSU have a duty (not legal, but perhaps ethical) to let their opponent know? If I was a P5 team you better believe every new contract I write with an FCS team will have that language in it, "FCS School agrees to use at least 90% of available scholarships."

How about P5 schools not schedule FCS, problem solved.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

I’m guessing FSU didn’t think they would be in a sitauation where it would matter...

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

That's the risk you take when you schedule cream puffs.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Not to belittle your comment, but isn't that pretty much the same as arrogance?

FSU has had a 6 win regular season 2 times since 1977 (3 now). They’ve posted double digit wins 24 times in that span.

I don’t blame the admin for not getting a waiver for a team that was preseason #3.

• Creative
Reactions: Stormin