FYI - Screen shots will no longer work for ticket entry at games

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We must have had a good line cause the bag checker ignored our bags and was getting people ready for the scanner before they got there. And woman by the scanner was walking husband through it

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Anyone expecting things to go perfectly during the rollout had unrealistic expectations.

They will improve for next week. There will be even bigger improvements for the 9/23 game. Change is a ***** a lot of the time but "just because we've always done it this way" isn't a reason to keep something. Reality is fewer and fewer people want to work at the gates and therefore the customer service element is going to continue to be pushed onto the product users. Same reason restaurants now have QR codes for paying or even ordering your food. Fewer people want to do that type of work so the industry is having to find alternative solutions.

If you can't roll it out in a competent way, don't roll it out. This should have been extensively tested and included backup procedures to keep things moving quickly. And there seemingly was no plan when things started backing up.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Just let us go back to having the option of printing off our tickets and use a paper copy to scan into the game. We have a lot of older fans that struggle mightily with scanning in on their phones. If you want to use the google wallet, do it that way, if you want to print them off, do it that way. There is nothing wrong with making it easier for the people to get into the game.

We entered from the South endzone entrance, must have been around 12:10 and had no line, got our tickets scanned within a minute and was inside the stadium.

I figured the cashless system would drag things out also, but the couple of times I went to get a soda to mix with my rum, it worked out quick and easy.

Last edited:

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
If you can't roll it out in a competent way, don't roll it out. This should have been extensively tested and included backup procedures to keep things moving quickly. And there seemingly was no plan when things started backing up.
I think we have forgotten what it was like at the first game a couple years back when we started using digital tickets. Same sort of issues that led to huge crowds at the gates all pissed off that they were missing kick-off. Deja vu...

Fast forward to the end of last season. I don't remember those issues and getting in was pretty easy.

This will get figured out and will work fine.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
Just let us go back to having the option of printing off our tickets and use a paper copy to scan into the game. We have a lot of older fans that struggle mightily with scanning in on their phones. If you want to use the google wallet, do it that way, if you want to print them off, did it that way. There is nothing wrong with making it easier for the people to get into the game.

We entered from the South endzone entrance, must have been around 12:10 and had no line, got our tickets scanned within a minute and was inside the stadium.

I figured the cashless system would drag things out also, but the couple of times I went to get a soda to mix with my rum, it worked out quick and easy.
It is still possible to get paper tickets. You just have to get the ticket office to work with you. It takes some effort but can be done. It just work be the cool envelope with fancy tickets, and you would probably have to do will call before each game.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I couldn’t go yesterday, but had family there. They definitely need to figure this out for the rest of the season. Can’t have this many people waiting after kickoff

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I recently switched to Verizon.
I was told that if I qualified for a business plan, (slightly higher priced) I wouldn’t be throttled down at big events , like at football games, (His exact words) the less expensive personal plans can be throttled down at big events, as business plans have “priority”, again his words.
I wasn’t at the game today, so no take from me on my experience. Just adding to the debate.
I have a business plan and had no issues until I got to the line. I was able to pull up espn to see why the roar from inside the stadium. I then tried to pull up hulu to watch what happened. It started streaming for 2 seconds, then a spinning circle. After that I had troubles sending texts to my friends that are parents of a UNI player. I guess it's because a bunch of people are selfish and streamed all day.

Ticket system worked awesome after waiting 30 minutes to get in the North gate.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It is still possible to get paper tickets. You just have to get the ticket office to work with you. It takes some effort but can be done. It just work be the cool envelope with fancy tickets, and you would probably have to do will call before each game.
I understand that you can do the will call window to get a printed ticket, but after being a season ticket holder for over 10 years, what is wrong with giving me a choice to either use the google wallet or printing them off at home?

Before last season when we had to use the google wallet, I had no trouble printing off the tickets and getting them scanned into the game. Last year was worse because sometimes inference from the sun caused scanning issues as it reflected off the phone screen.

Also, whoever came up with the idea to put up the plexiglass wall between section 19 and the Sukup area should be taken out and shot. The wall blocked our vision and stopped any breeze moving through the stadium. How about giving a heads up to those of us in the section and allowing us to move when we had the chance this spring.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
I understand that you can do the will call window to get a printed ticket, but after being a season ticket holder for over 10 years, what is wrong with giving me a choice to either use the google wallet or printing them off at home?

Before last season when we had to use the google wallet, I had no trouble printing off the tickets and getting them scanned into the game. Last year was worse because sometimes inference from the sun caused scanning issues as it reflected off the phone screen.

Also, whoever came up with the idea to put up the plexiglass wall between section 19 and the Sukup area should be taken out and shot. The wall blocked our vision and stopped any breeze moving through the stadium. How about giving a heads up to those of us in the section and allowing us to move when we had the chance this spring.
The lack of a printed ticket option might be coming from Ticketmaster as part of the terms of service contract?

Hopefully the barcode screen glare issue will be minimized with the new covered scanning kiosks.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

Both of those questions have a simple answer.

Ticketmaster doesn’t want multiple tickets printed with the same barcode and able to be sold. Fraud was much easier in that situation, and yes, it was a problem.

Second, they put it up to separate the student section from the Sukup Club. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what could happen if there is no barrier between the students and on of the only places that sells beer at the stadium.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Saw a picture of this on social media. Seems like a pretty strong signal that beer sales for the masses won't be coming to Jack Trice Stadium anytime soon. I'd be pretty livid to find myself next to a noise-killing, view-obstructing wall like that.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Hope you are recovered. I did ok in the heat but realized later I had not urinated for over eight hours which may be an old lady world record.

Verizon may be guilty of pongid discrimination
Yeah...all better now. After your comment, I realized I was not sweating at all yesterday. Might have been a contributing factor...

You may be on to something with the pongid discrimination theory!

Reactions: carvers4math

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Ticketmaster doesn’t want multiple tickets printed with the same barcode and able to be sold. Fraud was much easier in that situation, and yes, it was a problem.

Second, they put it up to separate the student section from the Sukup Club. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what could happen if there is no barrier between the students and on of the only places that sells beer at the stadium.
I thought that too...but I looked it up and the students are on the east side (unless they moved again). Sec 19 is non-donor season tickets.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Can there be some sort of compromise and allow for the use of screenshots again? That worked well for me for years for both FB and BB.

Reactions: Cyclone Pfan

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I thought that too...but I looked it up and the students are on the east side (unless they moved again). Sec 19 is non-donor season tickets.

My understanding was they had issues on both sides and are “protecting” the bigger donors

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Can there be some sort of compromise and allow for the use of screenshots again? That worked well for me for years for both FB and BB.

I’d guess no. This is the new normal. If they change back, I’ll gladly eat crow but at this point I’d almost guarantee it won’t happen.

Reactions: IcSyU

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Our seats are not in the student section, but the other side. So why did they put one up on both sides if it was just to stop the students from getting liquor passed to them?

Like I stated before, our tickets since they did the South endzone were right against the rail and they always had people there making sure that liquor was not passed over the rail. When it did happen, police were called and they dealt with it. When they moved the students over to our sections, we switched over to section 19 on the west side of the Sukup area. Last year again, with just the railing, I never saw liquor being passed over and my seats are 4 seats from the rail. Get there yesterday, same seats, 4 to 5 foot plexiglass wall has been added instead of the rail.
It stopped all the wind from moving through the stadium, and blocked our view of the South endzone.

Damn, I do not have a problem with them putting it up, but at least tell us their plans so we had the opportunity to move our seats when we renewed our tickets. Not just show up and there it is.

Last edited:

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
People don't understand how much fraud there is in ticket re-selling. Printed tickets and screenshots are a huge problem.

Exactly, just because it didn’t happen to you doesn’t means it’s not a prevalent situation. Savannah Bananas, recently, I have heard have major fraud because you can do screenshots with their tickets.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Our seats are not in the student section, but the other side. So why did they put one up on both sides if it was just to stop the students from getting liquor passed to them?

Same concept, except with adults who think rules don’t apply to them. It’s all about liability and exposure.

• Haha
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE