FYI - Screen shots will no longer work for ticket entry at games

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Also, how exactly did people expect to cool off yesterday when it was 95 degrees? Even with the end zone club it was a pain in the ass to stay comfortable.

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
I understand that the technology has been widely used. When I said "roll it out competently" I'm talking not (just) about the technology but the entire procedure, from the communication to fans to the training of the event staff to working through all the things that could go wrong and having a plan for it.

If other places have rolled this technology out and therefore we know it works, then we should also be able to anticipate the problems others have had with rolling it out and create solutions to head off those things before they become problems here.
I'd be curious to find out which created the large issues, the gates and technology at the gates, or the users having issues with the technology.

It was was more on the POS then that falls back on the athletic department. If it ended up being more of user issues, no amount of planning could make that smooth. Hopefully the fans that were having issues making the new system work will be able to make it work better next week.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I just attended my first concert using their new system and it was flawless. Of course I also got there when the doors opened at 6 instead of waiting 5 minutes before the event starts.
The long lines that didn't move formed at least 20-30 minutes before the game started, as has been stated numerous times in the thread. But thanks for the useful anecdote.
And was it an outdoor concert with 90+ degree temperatures and, for the most part, attended by 60,000 people who entered through three gates? It was? Wonderful, you had one awesome experience.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It wasnt just old people. I had everything downloaded to my wallet, the tickets pulled up and ready. When I got to the scanners, they would not read my phone. I tried and tried, Then the girl running the scanner took my phone and tried and tried. One Ticket it flashed, not found or something like that, for a second, she tried scanning every ticket of my 4 and not a single one ever read. And only one briefly said something about being not found.

The same thing happened to the group ahead. They walked them around the turnstile, and after several minutes of them trying to get mine to work they walked us around the turnstile (that would not spin unless a ticket scanned).

It was NOT because of OLD PEOPLE, Sure some of those probably had problems too, and if every time there was a problem it to several minutes that right there is the problem. Because there were a LOT of problems, and most of it the scanners or the people running them, not the people trying to ge
I never said it was because of older people, of which I am one, I said that we have a lot of older fans and they struggle with scanning. I want to make it easy as possible to get into the stadium, what we are doing this year is not it.

Allow us to print our tickets and get people to enter the stadium on the South side would speed things up.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Sent this morning…

Dear Cyclone Fans:

Thank you for cheering on the Cyclones to a season-opening win over UNI yesterday! Your support of our student-athletes, coaches and staff is greatly appreciated, and helps create a tremendous home field advantage.

Our goal is to provide you with an outstanding game-day experience every time that you enter Jack Trice Stadium. Unfortunately, we did not live up to that standard yesterday.

After successfully piloting 20 turnstile scanners at Gate 2 a year ago, the decision was made to expand their use this season to Gates 1 and 3. Unfortunately, the combination of many fans arriving closer to kickoff, our staff’s inability to help fans understand the technology, and the excessive heat, came together to create a perfect storm of poor customer service.

Please accept my apology for the inconveniences we caused for many of you yesterday. We do appreciate your understanding and patience as we work through improvements for this week’s game.

Go Cyclones!

Jamie Pollard

Director of Athletics

Iowa State University
Based on the stories here, it doesn't seem the 'arriving closer to kickoff' narrative is true. If anything people showed up earlier due to anxiety with the new system.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Sent this morning…

Dear Cyclone Fans:

Thank you for cheering on the Cyclones to a season-opening win over UNI yesterday! Your support of our student-athletes, coaches and staff is greatly appreciated, and helps create a tremendous home field advantage.

Our goal is to provide you with an outstanding game-day experience every time that you enter Jack Trice Stadium. Unfortunately, we did not live up to that standard yesterday.

After successfully piloting 20 turnstile scanners at Gate 2 a year ago, the decision was made to expand their use this season to Gates 1 and 3. Unfortunately, the combination of many fans arriving closer to kickoff, our staff’s inability to help fans understand the technology, and the excessive heat, came together to create a perfect storm of poor customer service.

Please accept my apology for the inconveniences we caused for many of you yesterday. We do appreciate your understanding and patience as we work through improvements for this week’s game.

Go Cyclones!

Jamie Pollard

Director of Athletics

Iowa State University
The part that says "help fans understand the technology" Kind of pisses me off. I read that as they still dont think the system was the problem but that the fans were the problem. That is not the case in my experience.

Like I said I know many who did everything they were supposed to, including myself. Download to wallet, have it open and ready. Try to use tap, revert to barcode. All failed, all not because the Fan didnt understand how to use the Tech. And all the while having these issues, many times over, causing huge mass of people backing up, in the heat.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
The part that says "help fans understand the technology" Kind of pisses me off. I read that as they still dont think the system was the problem but that the fans were the problem. That is not the case in my experience.

Like I said I know many who did everything they were supposed to, including myself. Download to wallet, have it open and ready. Try to use tap, revert to barcode. All failed, all not because the Fan didnt understand how to use the Tech. And all the while having these issues, many times over, causing huge mass of people backing up, in the heat.
Notice though how he put the fans first in that same sentence. Still seems an unsaid blame on us.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
They need about twice as many scanners as they had yesterday. It would probably work fine then. Drop the turnstile nonsense and have a scanner on each side of every row.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Sent this morning…

Dear Cyclone Fans:

Go Cyclones!

Jamie Pollard

Director of Athletics

Iowa State University

Don't see him talking much blame here. We the fans should be smarter and get to the stadium sooner.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Has there been a major problem with ticketless individuals getting into Trice in the past? Are the turnstiles that won’t operate until a legitimate ticket is scanned designed to solve a problem that doesn’t exist? I don’t know, I’m just asking, but you’d sure think the overwhelming majority of people waiting to get in the gates have actual tickets they paid for. Seems odd to penalize them because of whatever small number of bootleg/fake tickets (or even real legitimate tickets that just don’t scan right) might be out there.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Anyone expecting things to go perfectly during the rollout had unrealistic expectations.

They will improve for next week. There will be even bigger improvements for the 9/23 game. Change is a ***** a lot of the time but "just because we've always done it this way" isn't a reason to keep something. Reality is fewer and fewer people want to work at the gates and therefore the customer service element is going to continue to be pushed onto the product users. Same reason restaurants now have QR codes for paying or even ordering your food. Fewer people want to do that type

Because people sell the same screenshot or paper ticket a BUNCH of times and then Athletics gets stuck trying to accommodate the people with fraudulent tickets.

Because it requires then to staff more people to scan all the tickets and they're struggling to do that.

Just because something isn't a problem for you doesn't mean it isn't still a problem.
So now we get to the heart of the matter.."selling screenshot or PDF". As a meeting planner, when you look at something that goes wrong (or in many other areas, you always first isolate the variables of what changed. And this seems like a biggie. When you have several entry scans take a little longer because of having to scan for a group, or waiting for a group, it is a cluster multiplier.

I am not saying there were not problems with fans knowing how to use the system, equipment or the other variables mentioned. But this seems like it is a big one. When a group was able to print tickets for each person, they can just scan, or if they email them a pdf to their phone. I would guess this is the bigger factor that caused this.

Having said this, all is a review of cost/benefit. I understand there may be a problem with the ticket fraud mentioned and trying to control it, but did the savings benefit equal the chaos? Also it is not encouraging that the apology implies it is more on the fans.

I respect your thoughts, but it does sound like a pr post for the AD. Thanks.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Does anyone enter using the west entrance anymore? I have not entered that way in about 15 years. Of course folks can enter from the south (I used that a bunch about five years ago), but the new configurations of parking really seem to emphasize the north and east entrances.

No tents to add shade at the ticket readers just seems silly.

No. It is hard to get to. There is not much parking on that side of the stadium, and you cannot get there from the North.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Based on the stories here, it doesn't seem the 'arriving closer to kickoff' narrative is true. If anything people showed up earlier due to anxiety with the new system.
Yeah, when I initially heard a story or two yesterday about not getting in on a timely manner and missing the first quarter, I inaccurately assumed it was just complaints from the typical small late arriving crowd.

Then I saw the photos. There's no way that much of the crowd was "late arriving."

That part shouldn't have even been mentioned in Jamie's letter.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Also, how exactly did people expect to cool off yesterday when it was 95 degrees? Even with the end zone club it was a pain in the ass to stay comfortable.

This comment reminds me of watching the game on TV right after the second interception, I think, when ISU was getting ready to try the field goal. The SEZ was pretty much empty, and my wife said “look at all the people who left already.” I explained to her that they’d just headed inside early to cool off a little at halftime.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Why would you get there only 20 minutes before kickoff? I'm sorry, I've attended hundreds of events of all genres and that's inviting trouble when 50,000 people get together.

I too have attended hundreds of events of all genres and the reason I know that event staffs can efficiently move thousands of people through in relatively short periods of time 20-30 minutes before an event start time is because they all manage to do it, including at Jack Trice. Until yesterday.

Also worth pointing out - yet again - for the more smug members of our audience is that these lines were not moving at all. Had they not simply given up and just opened the gates, we would have been waiting in line for an hour or more, when comparable lines in the past might be a wait of 10 minutes, tops.

You should value your time more. There's no world where you should feel obligated to show up an hour early to accommodate some else's failure to manage their event.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
One more thing

Did anyone notice the scalpers, selling........PAPER TICKETS.....to an event that was supposed to not allow paper tickets?

I did, so why can those scalpers sell those, but no one else can get/use them?

• Haha
Reactions: Gorm