FYI - Screen shots will no longer work for ticket entry at games

cysmiley

Jun 30, 2012
The part that says "help fans understand the technology" Kind of pisses me off. I read that as they still dont think the system was the problem but that the fans were the problem. That is not the case in my experience.

Like I said I know many who did everything they were supposed to, including myself. Download to wallet, have it open and ready. Try to use tap, revert to barcode. All failed, all not because the Fan didnt understand how to use the Tech. And all the while having these issues, many times over, causing huge mass of people backing up, in the heat.
I agree with all of this and would like to add the PR/marketing departments read their customer base, and design/modify systems accordingly. They did that very well last year by not "requiring" people (Older) to use their cell phone who are not familiar with apps and don't use them regularly. A lot of apps I will not use because of device security, and battery power not there when I need it. I readily admit that my four offspring and spouses are better and more trustworthy of "apps" than I am. I also have much less patience than they do with devices.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
So help me understand here what is keeping you from getting into the stadium before 12:45 for a 1:05 kick?

The AD even alluded to this in his press release. At some point its not entirely a system breakdown, people need to be responsible for their own actions too.
You really should read posts before you ask people questions that were answered in those posts. Your blame-ridden posts here don’t solve the past and they definitely don’t make you seem smarter than the rest of us, regardless of when we got into the stadium yesterday.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
So the TLDR version is..."We aren't changing anything."

Good optics.

In fairness, it's a Sunday and they probably felt the need to just say something without having the full diagnosis yet. I would hope there would be more communication later in the week to help head off these problems next Saturday.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
So help me understand here what is keeping you from getting into the stadium before 12:45 for a 1:05 kick?

The AD even alluded to this in his press release. At some point its not entirely a system breakdown, people need to be responsible for their own actions too.
All of my concerns were outlined in earlier posts.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
In fairness, it's a Sunday and they probably felt the need to just say something without having the full diagnosis yet. I would hope there would be more communication later in the week to help head off these problems next Saturday.
So if anyone wants to voice their opinion and concerns (in a civil way of course) it seems the answer is take a number and get in line!!?? :)

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
You really should read posts before you ask people questions that were answered in those posts. Your blame-ridden posts here don’t solve the past and they definitely don’t make you seem smarter than the rest of us, regardless of when we got into the stadium yesterday.
I did read the posts, people said the issues started 20-30 minutes before kickoff. That would be in the 12:35-12:45 range. Pollard said something similar to this I'm his press release saying everyone tried to get in at once.

Did the people that got there in the 12-12:30 range have huge backups?

Reactions: CyDude16

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Totally agree.

And next week's cowd will be larger, (probably) drunker, angrier in general, and many will have spent a very large amount on their tickets for a rivalry game. Would be a very bad look for the university if things go wrong next week.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
They need about twice as many scanners as they had yesterday. It would probably work fine then. Drop the turnstile nonsense and have a scanner on each side of every row.

Yep then people with problems can be ushered through and helped on the side keeping the lines moving.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

You should be able to get into line at 12:20 for a 1:00 kick off and get into the game on time. I have been in longer lines 15 minutes before kick and get to my seat just in time.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I will say based on someone who only went to games during the Rhoads years I was always surprised at the amount of people who would leave their tailgate 4 mins before kick. Probably a left over of the years where attendance was terrible. That being said this is clearly a venue issue because every event of size I've been to in the last 10 years has pretty much been no paper tickets without an extenuating circumstance and the line moves just as fast as an all paper ticket crowd.

Think you can go back longer than that. I'm pretty sure the gates were left wide open after the half in the Walden era

The AD can't have it both ways. We can't sell the good time tailgate situation that drives attendance even during very bad years and then clutch pearls when people arrive late.

It was an AD **** up. JP knows this although his note gets a little too close to blaming the paying customer than I'd like.

It'll get fixed.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I know they are busy and I do support the police BUT if they saw scalpers selling paper tickets they need to kick them out or do something about it. Scalping is one thing but outright selling something that you know is not going to work is straight up fraud. Falls under the protect and serve motto IMO.
Technically scalping is legal in the state, but I'm curious what law they could apply to either citing them or telling them to move along. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure even walk up sales are mobile ticketing, which would definitely be scamming.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I did read the posts, people said the issues started 20-30 minutes before kickoff. That would be in the 12:35-12:45 range. Pollard said something similar to this I'm his press release saying everyone tried to get in at once.

Did the people that got there in the 12-12:30 range have huge backups?

At 12:15 I was standing outside the east gate waiting on friends. The bridge was backed way up and the lines at the lower gates were moving very very slow.

• Informative
Reactions: NoCreativity

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
So if anyone wants to voice their opinion and concerns (in a civil way of course) it seems the answer is take a number and get in line!!?? :)

Not clear on what you're saying here. Can you rephrase?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
At 12:15 I was standing outside the east gate waiting on friends. The bridge was backed way up and the lines at the lower gates were moving very very slow.
Yeah, that's bad then. I take back everything I said if that's the case. Lol.

If I was at the game yesterday I probably would have left my tailgate around 12 and made it up to the gates by 12:15.

• Dumb
Reactions: Trice

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

We were at the north entrance 25 minutes before kick and it was already full basically all the way to Jack Trice Way. In years past we would have been in our seats 5 to 10 minutes before kickoff. We missed almost half of the first quarter. Doesn't matter what JP said in his email, this was not on the fans AT ALL.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
We were at the north entrance 25 minutes before kick and it was already full basically all the way to Jack Trice Way. In years past we would have been in our seats 5 to 10 minutes before kickoff. We missed almost half of the first quarter. Doesn't matter what JP said in his email, this was not on the fans AT ALL.
Yeah, not good.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yeah, that's bad then. I take back everything I said if that's the case. Lol.

If I was at the game yesterday I probably would have left my tailgate around 12 and made it up to the gates by 12:15.
So, all of your wealth of knowledge is based on...
absolutely nothing?

You weren't there, you have NO idea of the realities of the situation.