NBA: G-League Ignite - future of 5 star recruits?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
  • Agree
Reactions: beentherebefore

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I wonder if this team will be a model for the G-League to expand it's efforts for high school kids to go straight to pro ball? Predicted to have 2 in the top 5 NBA picks this year.

Yes. If they don't care about a formal education and the experiences that we all associate with attending college, then this is likely the path.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
A handful of high schoolers probably have the talent and mentality needed to be successful going this route, but man it is a gamble on yourself. Hopefully this at least gets the NCAA to get behind NIL for the athletes sooner. I still think the elite players benefit from their exposure from college hoops verses what they will get in the G League.

If anything, I hopes this makes life harder for the blue bloods who always get a couple of these Top 25 level recruits.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
A handful of high schoolers probably have the talent and mentality needed to be successful going this route, but man it is a gamble on yourself. Hopefully this at least gets the NCAA to get behind NIL for the athletes sooner. I still think the elite players benefit from their exposure from college hoops verses what they will get in the G League.

If anything, I hopes this makes life harder for the blue bloods who always get a couple of these Top 25 level recruits.
Unless Adidas or something goes under, KU and the like will be able to compete well enough for these kids and be just fine.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyientist

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
From a global perspective, it's always been an odd twist that our future professionals come up through university ranks. One of the reasons that you see a lot of Euro bigs, stretch 4s and wings in the NBA is that they've come up through much more structured academy systems than the hodgepodge of school basketball / AAU teams / private trainers / camps that good BB players here go through. It's kind of surprising that it's taken so long for there to be professional alternatives to college hoops.

Luka Doncic came up through Real Madrid's academy system in basketball the way R. Messi came up through FC Barcelona's soccer academy system. NBA teams don't seem to want to create these types of systems, maybe because the NCAA has been a free farm system.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

It won’t make it harder for anyone.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and JM4CY

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I like this, get college basketball back to 4 year players, and the G league can be for all the Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and NC one and dones.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
From a brand perspective (which seems to be an important thing these days), going to college makes 1,000x more sense. Unless you are a huge basketball junkie, you’ve never heard of the two G-League guys compared to Cade Cunningham or Jalen Suggs.

But glad they are giving guys multiple routes and options.

• Winner
Reactions: ClonesFTW

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The one and done system went off the cliff in the Covid year.