G league Ignite program shutting down

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
Crazy turn - 4 years ago this program was set up to give elite ‘1 and done’ prospects a route to get paid and play in the G league.

Now, with NIL, it seems they can’t compete.

This is a terrific sign for college basketball. Despite all the whining, NIL is improving college basketball by allowing it to compete with the G league and Euro leagues.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Crazy turn - 4 years ago this program was set up to give elite ‘1 and done’ prospects a route to get paid and play in the G league.

This is a terrific sign for college basketball. Despite all the whining, NIL is improving college basketball by allowing it to compete with the G league and Euro leagues.

I don't see in any way shape or form out of control spending on players being a positive for CBB.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
I don't see in any way shape or form out of control spending on players being a positive for CBB.
I don’t see long term success for a system where the producers of value are locked out of monetary compensation (while their managers or ‘coaches’ get paid millions of dollars annually, and a sea of team administrators make hundreds of thousands of dollars annually). That old system was begging for the best talent to go elsewhere (ie G league, foreign leagues a la Brandon Jennings, etc). It was also incentivizing cheating by top programs that had the corrupt NCAA looking the other way.

We should be happy that Iowa State has a passionate fan base to succeed in this new era, where so many other forms of entertainment are competing for eyeballs.

If you want to watch athletes play for free and you don’t care about the quality of play, there’s always high school basketball.

• Winner
Reactions: Mr Janny

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don’t see long term success for a system where the producers of value are locked out of monetary compensation (while their managers or ‘coaches’ get paid millions of dollars annually, and a sea of team administrators make hundreds of thousands of dollars annually). That old system was begging for the best talent to go elsewhere (ie G league, foreign leagues a la Brandon Jennings, etc). It was also incentivizing cheating by top programs that had the corrupt NCAA looking the other way.

We should be happy that Iowa State has a passionate fan base to succeed in this new era, where so many other forms of entertainment are competing for eyeballs.

If you want to watch athletes play for free and you don’t care about the quality of play, there’s always high school basketball.
High schoolers can get NIL also. If you're going to climb on the soapbox the least you could do is get your facts straight.

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz and aauummm

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015

That is until NIL enters the high school level. :)

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The US court system seems to disagree with that notion.
Doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. Just that it will be difficult in this climate.

In an era where Shelf is caught on tape paying for players without consequence i have no faith in our judicial system.

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times

How do you watch ISU athletics for free?

Asking as someone who can't get over the air broadcasts in central Iowa, if those even exist anymore.

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

I was rooting for the G-League to succeed. I wanted the basketball development path to mirror baseball where high school prospects could choose a professional path or a student-athlete path. Mainly because I am not a fan of the imbalance between the eductional/athlete development focus in major college athletics today. A lot of universities have sold their soul to the money.

The imbalance is nothing new (e.g. Bob Huggins 0% grad rate at Cincy), but IMO the one or two and done concept is a waste of a universities academic resources. If an 18 year old isn't interested in going to class, then they should have a high level sport path.

I don't have an issue with student-athletes gaining employee status and I feel that's where college athletics is headed. But not sure how interested in going to class and getting solid grades will be for an 18-20 year-old making $250k annually.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

As an NBA fan I’d say it’s a win for the NBA because they get better and free marketing of future stars derived from the money students/alumni pay for tuition. That personal connection to a university they lived at or around is why people watch Iowa State basketball and do not watch g league.

The best thing for college basketball is that its format and tournament has always included every single market no matter how small, college football is toying with doing the opposite of that right now and thinking the whole country might care more about 34 teams than it did about 75.

• Winner
Reactions: HOTDON

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver

The unlimited transfer thing is not improving college basketball. (or college football for that matter)

It hurts a lot of seniors in HS looking for scholarships. So many in the portal never find a squad too.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I still can’t believe people thought this was going to work or kill college athletics. They tried to juice it with a few big paydays, but ultimately it just made no sense. It couldn’t make enough money to be viable because ultimately there is no interest in this, and there’s little to no need to invest in what colleges will do for them.

It was never going to work, and NIL nailed that coffin shut.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron