G league Ignite program shutting down

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I still can’t believe people thought this was going to work or kill college athletics. They tried to juice it with a few big paydays, but ultimately it just made no sense. It couldn’t make enough money to be viable because ultimately there is no interest in this, and there’s little to no need to invest in what colleges will do for them.

It was never going to work, and NIL nailed that coffin shut.

With the G-League going bye-bye. I will be curious how that changes the NBA's stance on allowing HS/Prep School grads immediately being eligible for the NBA draft. Recent legal rulings have attacked the NCAA model. It seems consistent to me our legal system would also frown on the NBA's age limit restrictions.

If that happens, do we see more of the top HS talent choose the Prep School route to prepare them to be drafted when they are 18. Watching the NBA Draft Coverage last summer was a bit of an eye opener for me. Many of these athlete's families are 1000% invested in developing a future NBA star from a young age. If the college model is the only path, they will leverage it. But I have a feeling, even with the NBA deciding to disband the G-League Ignite team. Some group of money-men will fill the gap. Especially when the day comes that student-athletes become employees and negotiate a CBA.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
With the G-League going bye-bye. I will be curious how that changes the NBA's stance on allowing HS/Prep School grads immediately being eligible for the NBA draft. Recent legal rulings have attacked the NCAA model. It seems consistent to me our legal system would also frown on the NBA's age limit restrictions.

If that happens, do we see more of the top HS talent choose the Prep School route to prepare them to be drafted when they are 18. Watching the NBA Draft Coverage last summer was a bit of an eye opener for me. Many of these athlete's families are 1000% invested in developing a future NBA star from a young age. If the college model is the only path, they will leverage it. But I have a feeling, even with the NBA deciding to disband the G-League Ignite team. Some group of money-men will fill the gap. Especially when the day comes that student-athletes become employees and negotiate a CBA.
I actually doubt it will change for the same way the NFL mandates 3 years, the NBA teams want these guys to get developed so they don’t waste a lottery pick on a HS kid who has never played against real competition. It’s to protect the teams more then anything.

Reactions: AllInForISU

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I think they need to rein in the free transfer rule.

The most obnoxious thing about people who are for free transfers is that they say "Well the coach can leave whenever they want so the athlete should be allowed too"

It's way more nuanced than that.

The coaches have to pay a buyout. I think you need to make scholarships a 4 year contract. If you want to transfer at any time, make them pay a buyout or they have to sit out a year, no exceptions.

The NCAA screwed the whole thing up. If they would have been more proactive than reactive, this could have been avoided. The big wigs in Indianapolis learned real fast, they need the players WAY more than the players need them.

• Creative
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
I was rooting for the G-League to succeed. I wanted the basketball development path to mirror baseball where high school prospects could choose a professional path or a student-athlete path. Mainly because I am not a fan of the imbalance between the eductional/athlete development focus in major college athletics today. A lot of universities have sold their soul to the money.

The imbalance is nothing new (e.g. Bob Huggins 0% grad rate at Cincy), but IMO the one or two and done concept is a waste of a universities academic resources. If an 18 year old isn't interested in going to class, then they should have a high level sport path.

I don't have an issue with student-athletes gaining employee status and I feel that's where college athletics is headed. But not sure how interested in going to class and getting solid grades will be for an 18-20 year-old making $250k annually.

I think NIL actually tips the balance of power away from elite one-and-done prospects, and I think that’s good for college basketball.

Here’s my thinking - consider all the underclassmen who are outstanding college players, but borderline or low end NBA prospects. With NIL, those guys can stay 2-5 years in college and make more (as I understand) playing college than they would make in G league or even high end Euro leagues. That means the college game will be dominated more by high end upperclassmen with developed basketball skills, NOT by freakishly athletic one-and-done players who will be drafted in the NBA lottery on potential (even though everyone knows they’ll barely sniff the floor for at least 2 years).

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Need to get rid of the 1 year wait rule. If dudes think they are NBA ready let them go.

And let people come back to college if they aren't drafted.

• Disagree
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron