G7 Directv Dish Settings

AgClone

Dec 14, 2009
Just wondered if anyone could pass on the settings (altitude, azimuth) they use for Directv dishes with SWM setups in the tailgate lots. I tried on some earlier games this year, but wasn't able to get it to work and with all the 11 AM games we haven't tried again yet this season.

I know you need to aim it first at the 101 bird and then adjust smaller amounts once you get that one dialed in. I was able to get it to work in the driveway at home after I disregarded all the settings that i got from dishpointer.com and climbed on the roof to see what the dish on my house was set at (was 20 degrees in elevation different than what dishpointer.com said).

I was trying to use dishpointer.com setting the last time I tried in G7, so now I suspect that was my problem. I know alot of you use these style of dishes in G7 so I thought I would just come here to the experts to get the answer rather than do more trial and error on Saturday.

AgClone

Dec 14, 2009
Thought I would give this a lil bump since I think it got buried under the game threads on the front page last night.

TailgatePro

Nov 10, 2013
Is the dish off a house that is from the general area around here (Des Moines, etc)?

What kind of dish is it? The HD slimlines, or the SD ones?

I find that my dish from Des Moines works fine in Ames. Just make CERTAIN that the mast the dish is on is completely level on all sides (a bubble level works best).

I have a HD slimline 3, and with my Accumeter 22, I can set the dish in less than 30 seconds.

TailgatePro

Nov 10, 2013
I guess I left out the important stuff...

Elevation: 41.0
Azimuth: 187.6

Again, the dish type matters, as some of the dishes actually need to be rotated on the face as well.

AgClone

Dec 14, 2009
HD Slimline from the house. I live in Madrid and had it tuned in here, so maybe just setting it up again now that I had it working will make it pretty easy. Thanks for insight though, I will use this settings as a place to start if I end up with trouble.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
If you have an older receiver use it. HD receivers are harder to aim because it needs more satellites

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
For my tailgates I don't even use any special tools to line it up. The receiver has a meter in settings under the satellite menu. When I show up, I hook everything up, turn on the receiver and get to the signal meter, then aim the dish SSE. I start moving it around under I get a signal then I fine tune it from there. For standard def you only need about a 70% signal strength. Only takes about a minute or two to get it.

TailgatePro

Nov 10, 2013
For my tailgates I don't even use any special tools to line it up. The receiver has a meter in settings under the satellite menu. When I show up, I hook everything up, turn on the receiver and get to the signal meter, then aim the dish SSE. I start moving it around under I get a signal then I fine tune it from there. For standard def you only need about a 70% signal strength. Only takes about a minute or two to get it.

With a SD dish, it used to be that easy. You'd almost have to TRY to not get a lock on the sats. HD is a bit harder, but can still be done with a TV.

I like the meter because I aim Southeast, when the meter peaks out the second time, I know I'm locked in with 90+ on all transponders.

blizzisu

Nov 4, 2009
Polk City, IA
We aligned a SWM setup earlier this year. It was not easy. If you are off a sixteenth of an inch, it won't work. We used the on screen meters and a bubble level.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron