Gabe Kalscheur Commits

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I'm in this boat as well. If we are over 18 wins then I will be extremely impressed. Next year is a foundation year. Get a team that can compete and do the basics. Anything else is gravy.
What did Fred win in his first year? 14? 15? I’d probably say with roster talent and turnover being fairly similar, that would be a pretty good bar of a successful first season for TJ.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I have no expectations for next year but Fred’s transfers had to sit a year. TJs guys get to play right away. But we also see none of the guys are one year guys yet so this is a longer term focus. We’ll be better than anyone wants to give us credit for.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
What did Fred win in his first year? 14? 15? I’d probably say with roster talent and turnover being fairly similar, that would be a pretty good bar of a successful first season for TJ.
Thats probably a good line to put it at. TJ does have a bit of an advantage versus Fred since he has prior head coach experience and will have a full roster that is competing for minutes since he won't have any sit outs. Competition will push players to be their best. I'm really excited how he is building us. It may not be immediate success because he's not worried about getting another job and doesn't have to worry about an AD not giving him time. For that reason, he can build this thing the right way which may take a tad longer.

Reactions: Acylum

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
For conference play I'm expecting (maybe being overalls optimistic) we can jump TCU and KState. I think Oklahoma and Tech regress so maybe we can pick up a couple wins there (Tech has owned us recently so I'm less confident there). Ok State will be interesting to see if Boynton can maintain. I don't expect us to beat KU, Texas, Baylor or WVU. Obviously expectations can change with how the roster gets filled out but I'm pretty happy with what TJ has done so far.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Thats probably a good line to put it at. TJ does have a bit of an advantage versus Fred since he has prior head coach experience and will have a full roster that is competing for minutes since he won't have any sit outs. Competition will push players to be their best. I'm really excited how he is building us. It may not be immediate success because he's not worried about getting another job and doesn't have to worry about an AD not giving him time. For that reason, he can build this thing the right way which may take a tad longer.

Lol. Hoiberg took ISU from 15-17 (4-12) to 16-16 (3-13) in his first year. They were 23-11 (12-6) in year 2, which is probably a better measuring stick given the difference in sit-out rules. This is a stupid comparison, but if we’re going to use it, TJ should be in double-digit wins (+8) in year 2.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Lol. Hoiberg took ISU from 15-17 (4-12) to 16-16 (3-13) in his first year. They were 23-11 (12-6) in year 2, which is probably a better measuring stick given the difference in sit-out rules. This is a stupid comparison, but if we’re going to use it, TJ should be in double-digit wins (+8) in year 2.
Hoiberg didn’t get to use his transfers until year two TJ gets them in year one. that’s why you can’t really compare the two. Apples and oranges.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Year two is definitely not a better measuring stick. Those guys had a full year of learning what Fred wanted. These guys are all coming in and learning new expectations for a new coach. Imo, we will probably win 13-18 games next year but be competitive as long as TJ can actually coach, which I think he can. I am hopeful but I am also tempering expectations because growing pains are part of the process.

I'm just excited to have hope again.

• Agree
Reactions: frackincygy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
What did Fred win in his first year? 14? 15?

16-16 his first season.

Somewhat impressive, actually, considering how little experienced returned. Five freshmen. Returned only 20 ppg from previous season (Garrett, Scotty, Vanderbeken); 37 if you count Jake & Booker stats from previous year at NIU/SIU, respectively. Had to get walk-ons from football squad to have full roster, IIRC. (Royce & Babb were sit-out transfers).

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
16-16 his first season.

Somewhat impressive, actually, considering how little experienced returned. Five freshmen. Returned only 20 ppg from previous season (Garrett, Scotty, Vanderbeken); 37 if you count Jake & Booker stats from previous year at NIU/SIU, respectively. Had to get walk-ons from football squad to have full roster, IIRC. (Royce & Babb were sit-out transfers).
And a lot of those losses were close. He definitely got effort and competitiveness out of that squad.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
And a lot of those losses were close. He definitely got effort and competitiveness out of that squad.

True. Had 1-point losses at NU and at KSU. Had a shot vs. KU at Hilton. Probably should've beaten at least one of UNI/Cal in non-con, but considering roster & coach transition, in retrospect it's understandable.

We ran out of gas in some of those tight games, not enough depth and no go-to guy.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I'm excited and optimistic. Number of total wins probably depends more on non-conference schedule. We need to remember a lot of the hopes hinge on a freshman PG.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
He got Lands and Hinson.
Yes he did but Hinson has not played for us. And Coleman Lands is a one trick pony who shoots about 7 3's a game, TJ obviously did not like his D or other surrounding parts to his game otherwise he would be back.

Kalscheur has had a season average 11 pts per game in the big ten and is a lockdown defender. This is an upgrade immediately. No offense to coleman lands.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Yes he did but Hinson has not played for us. And Coleman Lands is a one trick pony who shoots about 7 3's a game, TJ obviously did not like his D or other surrounding parts to his game otherwise he would be back.

Kalscheur has had a season average 11 pts per game in the big ten and is a lockdown defender. This is an upgrade immediately. No offense to coleman lands.

That's not true at all.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'm excited and optimistic. Number of total wins probably depends more on non-conference schedule. We need to remember a lot of the hopes hinge on a freshman PG.
And a really good player who barely touched a basketball last year from what I understand.