Gable's commentary at the center of IPTV issue

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Gable's commentary at the center of IPTV issue - College Wrestling High School Wrestling MMA UFC Rankings Forums

This is the first that I've heard about this. What was the motivation, if any, behind this? I was at the meet, so I didn't hear the broadcast, and I hadn't heard any talk, good or bad, about the broadcast. But now he's off of the show? That sounds a little drastic.

Personally, I liked Gable's commentary, as he is obviously very knowledgable about the sport. He has an Iowa slant, but that's to be expected.

I looked in the posts, but didn't see anything on this. Please merge the topic, or delete this post, if this is a repeat.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
No real story, as far as I can tell. Gable claims IPTV told him to shove off, and that was the only side presented by the writer from the IC Press-Citizen.

IPTV later rebutted that Gable's personal schedule, discussed before the broadcast schedule was even finalized, wouldn't have allowed him to do National Duals anyway.

Meanwhile, an informal poll taken on message boards in the eastern third of the state find Jamie Pollard completely at fault for this, as well as global warming, Ronnie Harmon's fumblitis, the assassination of JFK and the lack of attendance at UI MBB games.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
I think Gable does more to promote himself and the University of Iowa than he does wrestling (whether he means to or not). He acts like he's this great ambassador to the sport, but deep down he's really just trying to steal some of the Cael thunder back.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Basically the rumor is that some high-roller ISU fan was irked and pulled some strings at IPTV to get Gable out of things between Iowa/ISU (perhaps ISU wrestling announcing totally). It wouldn't surprise me, but he was fine in my opinion.

I think there was some griping about his announcing during the meet on this board actually. I'll check.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
i hope to god that he is really done. i can't stand to listen to him call another meet. i would rather shove an icepick in my #$%#$^%@#$ then have to listen to another broadcast involving him.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
He does a nice job with the D3 meet as we all watch Wartburg mop the mat with the Iowa Conf... but he is reallllly annoying listening to him in the ISU Iowa meet.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If anybody gets too bent out of shape about Gable's bias on the broadcast their panties are a little too tight. The guy is a legend. I'd be too bad if they didn't let him do the meet anymore.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It is painful to listen to him because he is a terrible broadcaster. He may have supreme knowledge of the intricacies of the sport, but he cannot express it in a way that viewers can understand -- especially viewers who are not hardcore wrestling fans.

The #1 complaint I hear from people regarding wrestling is that they don't go to the meets because they don't understand what's going on, especially with the rules and scoring. That's where concise explanations would do wonders for growing the fan base instead of repeatedly screaming "Look at this! Look at this! Look at this!" into the microphone.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
It is painful to listen to him because he is a terrible broadcaster. He may have supreme knowledge of the intricacies of the sport, but he cannot express it in a way that viewers can understand -- especially viewers who are not hardcore wrestling fans.

The #1 complaint I hear from people regarding wrestling is that they don't go to the meets because they don't understand what's going on, especially with the rules and scoring. That's where concise explanations would do wonders for growing the fan base instead of repeatedly screaming "Look at this! Look at this! Look at this!" into the microphone.

That is what my wife is for, explaining wrestling to me. (go ahead and pull my man card:sad:)

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Good. Gable sucks as an announcer and he shouldn't be on the broadcast. Sorry, but an announcer should not be referring to one of the teams as "we". About time he steps out of the spotlight.

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
That is what my wife is for, explaining wrestling to me. (go ahead and pull my man card:sad:)
Some may think that makes you more of a man. It's a little scary who much alot of us know about to sweaty men rolling around together on a mat.:biglaugh:

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
Good. As an announcer he's supposed to be unbiased and constantly referring to Iowa as "we" destroys all credibility he has as a supposed impartial observer. Granted it's wrestling on IPTV but if they are trying to present a professional broadcast he has to cut that crap out. Just look at the digs he takes at ISU in that article.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I think Gable does more to promote himself and the University of Iowa than he does wrestling (whether he means to or not). He acts like he's this great ambassador to the sport, but deep down he's really just trying to steal some of the Cael thunder back.

Yeah U B RITE..With gable its always all about gable and his beloved u of i...I wonder how things would be at isu rite now if the old ad at ISU would have canned harold nichols... like pollard did bobby douglas and the old ad would have let gable coach at iowa state... Wrestling at iowa state has never recovered from that one lousy decision to let gable go coach at iowa city....

TALK ABOUT THE DUMBEST MOVE EVER IN THE HISTORY OF WRESTLING AT IOWA STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
Gable turned out to be a great coach but Harold Nichols won something like 6 national titles and 1 after Gable was hired at Iowa. In hindsight it would have been great to have Gable but firing Nichols to hire an unproven coach would have been incredibly dumb at the time.

isumellie

May 18, 2006
Waukee, IA
Gable turned out to be a great coach but Harold Nichols won something like 6 national titles and 1 after Gable was hired at Iowa. In hindsight it would have been great to have Gable but firing Nichols to hire an unproven coach would have been incredibly dumb at the time.

That is exactly what I thought! There is a reason that Harold Nichols has a banner up in Hilton. You do not fire a proven coach in the middle of his what turned out to be a great career for some young and up coming coach. And also Bobby Douglas was not really canned he had said that he wanted Cael to stay at ISU and would go to an administrative position to let Cael become the head coach.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

LIKE I SAID BOYS ITS THE DUMBEST MOVE EVER MADE AT IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY RE WRESTLING...AND DONT LOOK NOW BUT YOUR STILL PAYING FOR THAT STUPID MISTAKE..

AT LEAST I CAN GIVE POLLARD CREDIT FOR GETTING RID OF ALL THE DEADWOOD IN THE ATHLETIC DEPT...AKA MC CARNEY DOUGLAS AND MORGAN!!!!!

SOME ONE NEEDS TO DO A POLL ON THE NEXT TIME THE WRESTLING TEAM WILL ACTUALLY BEAT THE HAWKS!!!!