Gall Midges

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Nasty little buggers. No good control options for the larva that I've seen. If I remember correctly, Thimet t-banded at planting has shown some slight positive results when used on field edges.

UNL has an upcoming field day devoted to gall midge updates. Have to register by Saturday to attend:

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Agclone91

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
I've only found them once, a few years ago when their name was just starting to get out. Generally speaking, they haven't become a huge economic pest yet but they certainly have the potential. They come in from field edges and grass strips and will move back and forth year to year based on crop rotation. Past the fly stage there's not much you can do. Endigo received a label a couple of years ago for suppression, but it's really spotty and largely life stage dependent.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I've only found them once, a few years ago when their name was just starting to get out. Generally speaking, they haven't become a huge economic pest yet but they certainly have the potential. They come in from field edges and grass strips and will move back and forth year to year based on crop rotation. Past the fly stage there's not much you can do. Endigo received a label a couple of years ago for suppression, but it's really spotty and largely life stage dependent.
Yeah a few products have 2ee labels for adult management but that's a make you a feel like you're doing something money spend but doesn't do much/anything for population control.

Developing a post applied, systemic insecticide to target the larva probably isn't in the cards. Too much risk regarding human exposure.

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
Lorsban ? I forgot we don’t have that any more.
Look at The Crop Protection Network. It is info from the Land
Grant Universities. Very good info.

Last edited:

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Not a whole lot of info there either. Since they seldom impact beyond the margins, is getting rid of them even feasible? Has anyone ever suggested maybe baling those margins and waterways isn't such a good idea?

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Even if lorsban was still useable, it wouldn't kill the larva once they enter the plant because it is not systemic.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron