Gallbladder Surgery/Removal

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
So I was diagnosed with a hyperactive gallbladder, not dangerous, but it does give me GI distress/abdominal discomfort.

And....................I have the option to get it surgically removed or just deal with it.

Has anyone done this or knows someone close to you that's been through the Gallbladder removal procedure?

Trying to debate if I get it yanked out or not. It's not intense pain like people with gallbladder attacks, just a dull ache.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Had mine out on a Friday and was back at work on Tuesday.

Super easy and I felt better the minute I woke up.

Only warning is that there are occasionally foods that will 'surprise' you...

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
So I was diagnosed with a hyperactive gallbladder, not dangerous, but it does give me GI distress/abdominal discomfort.

And....................I have the option to get it surgically removed or just deal with it.

Has anyone done this or knows someone close to you that's been through the Gallbladder removal procedure?

Trying to debate if I get it yanked out or not. It's not intense pain like people with gallbladder attacks, just a dull ache.
My wife removes them all the time :) I'll ask her about it when she gets home tonight.

My nephew had his removed and it was a big help to his life. He lost a ton of weight as well and is all around healthier.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

My elderly mom did it. In and out and she was up and going the next day at age 80 something.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I had mine removed maybe 15 years ago. They did it laproscopically, so there are just four tiny holes rather than a single big incision. I think it was two in my side, one a little below mh sternum, and the biggest one is actually inside your belly button. There is minimal scaring.

Recovery was pretty easy as long as you don't flex your abs too hard. I did sneeze a couple days afterwards which was pretty awful, but besides that it was easy. I think I only missed like two days of work?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If the removal is laparoscopic, the pain and recovery from surgery is mitigated to some degree. Obviously, it's not entirely gone, but it's significantly lessened with laparoscopy, so it's probably in your best interest to make sure that's how they'll perform it.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Only reason I'm iffy about it is, I'm only 31, turning 32 in 2 weeks.
Besides the discomfort I just go to the bathroom 3-5 times a day, a little more than I'd like, but its not like I'm having diarrhea every hour.

Hyperactive Gallbladder pushes too much bile into the small intestine and some backflows a little into the stomach.

Don't have gallstones or sludge.

Apparently in the past 6 years they've started taking out more hyperactive gallbladders and finally started doing research on them in 2018?

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I had my gall bladder taken out years ago. I was pretty young. I was at a football game and I started to feel a little discomfort at the start of the game, By halftime I could not stand up it was that painful. Waited until Monday to see a Dr. He put me in the hospital that night and had surgery the next day.

This was when they cut you wide open and I got a hell of a long scar from my sternum to just above the belt line. I spent a week in the hospital

Nowadays, it is just three little slits. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
If the removal is laparoscopic, the pain and recovery from surgery is mitigated to some degree. Obviously, it's not entirely gone, but it's significantly lessened with laparoscopy, so it's probably in your best interest to make sure that's how they'll perform it.
It is laparoscopic, 4-5 keyholes

Reactions: Mr Janny

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Only reason I'm iffy about it is, I'm only 31, turning 32 in 2 weeks.
Besides the discomfort I just go to the bathroom 3-5 times a day, a little more than I'd like, but its not like I'm having diarrhea every hour.

Hyperactive Gallbladder pushes too much bile into the small intestine and some backflows a little into the stomach.

Don't have gallstones or sludge.

Apparently in the past 6 years they've started taking out more hyperactive gallbladders and finally started doing research on them in 2018?
If you can stand the occasional pain and the inconvenience, then hold off as long as you can.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
The surgery is easy as far as surgeries go, over time any stool issues pretty much stop.

• Friendly

4everClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Ames
Had mine removed a few years ago. Not a big deal at all. Took a week off of work...not because I needed to physically. No issues afterwards.

• Friendly

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Sooo for the people who had it removed.. I heard the bile acid diarrhea can get worse & bile reflux gastritis is a common side effect.
Like you’ll have to take Prilosec or Nexium for a long time.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Sooo for the people who had it removed.. I heard the bile acid diarrhea can get worse & bile reflux gastritis is a common side effect.
Like you’ll have to take Prilosec or Nexium for a long time.
I would put that under "depends".

I have not had those issues

• Friendly