Gamblin…Smoke and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDclones

Nov 29, 2006
I’m hearing through various people that those athletes at both Iowa and Iowa State that were involved with betting, supposedly, an example is going to be made and they are going to come down hard on those athletes. I’m hearing 50-70 percent of their season may be lost for those individual players. I’m hoping this is not true. This is going on across the country and why they would choose the Iowa colleges to set their example is beyond me. I heard it was more rampant at U of I than it was at ISU but some of the names I’ve heard would be a big blow to both schools if true. Because this is all hearsay I am not going to mention any of the names I’ve heard. I did hear it will be all said and done by the end of June.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Thanks for the info. Will be really interesting to see. Hopefully nobody was point shaving.

Jeff51106

Jun 11, 2013
The rise on online gambling has not helped. It most likely seemed like just another online game where no one supposedly got hurt and it was easy to do. It was dumb, but worse, it is sad.

Reactions: clonehome

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I’m hearing through various people that those athletes at both Iowa and Iowa State that were involved with betting, supposedly, an example is going to be made and they are going to come down hard on those athletes. I’m hearing 50-70 percent of their season may be lost for those individual players. I’m hoping this is not true. This is going on across the country and why they would choose the Iowa colleges to set their example is beyond me. I heard it was more rampant at U of I than it was at ISU but some of the names I’ve heard would be a big blow to both schools if true. Because this is all hearsay I am not going to mention any of the names I’ve heard. I did hear it will be all said and done by the end of June.

A VA tech player got a 6 game suspension last year for bets less than $500. There is already a precedent. I think it's a ridiculously wide rule that should be eased, but it's also a ridiculously easy rule to follow. Either the players are at fault for disobeying such an easy rule or the coaches/staff/school are at fault for not ensuring the players understood last year. Just the VA Tech suspension last year should have been enough to scare anyone to not do it.

• Informative
Reactions: isucy86

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I love how some think online gambling is new. It's not. I knew college students off shore betting online when I was in college 20 years ago, and you didn't need to be tech savvy to do it either. If I remember right lots of people were using World Sports Exchange (WSEX) at the time. What's new is LEGAL online sports gambling. Lots of people have been gambling online for decades, and I'm sure that includes student athletes. It's just easier to catch now that it's legitimate and can easily be monitored.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I love how some think online gambling is new. It's not. I knew college students off shore betting online when I was in college 20 years ago, and you didn't need to be tech savvy to do it either. If I remember right lots of people were using World Sports Exchange (WSEX) at the time. What's new is LEGAL online sports gambling. Lots of people have been gambling online for decades, and I'm sure that includes student athletes. It's just easier to catch now that it's legitimate and can easily be monitored.
Plus being able to do it all on your smart phone makes it easier and more visible. And zero hoops to moving money back and forth. I’m sure point shaving schemes can be really tempting.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
A VA tech player got a 6 game suspension last year for bets less than $500. There is already a precedent. I think it's a ridiculously wide rule that should be eased, but it's also a ridiculously easy rule to follow. Either the players are at fault for disobeying such an easy rule or the coaches/staff/school are at fault for not ensuring the players understood last year. Just the VA Tech suspension last year should have been enough to scare anyone to not do it.
So your saying we need to hope there are hundreds of not thousands of kids that get caught up in this mess so that every school is equally disadvantaged.

Or better yet, we need some kids at Bama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State and USC caught up in this scandal and punishments will magically get minimized.

Reactions: NWICY

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
So your saying we need to hope there are hundreds of not thousands of kids that get caught up in this mess so that every school is equally disadvantaged.

Or better yet, we need some kids at Bama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State and USC caught up in this scandal and punishments will magically get minimized.
No, the NCAA should amend their rules, but if they don't, there will be suspensions.

The rule was probably so that athletes wouldn't get in debt to a shady bookie and be pressured to do something nefarious. Not really an issue with online gambling.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Man if only someone had warned them about this. who could have known.
Hey. Totally easy to miss the info when you have to sit through a seminar, sign that you understand and then be given it again in a handbook that you also signed off on.

The kids are the victims here, obviously.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
If ISU does this, I am done with college sports. NIL is already ruining it, as long as they did not bet on their school or against their school, this should be none of the NCAA's business.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

How does this fit for the prospects of a maybe average football team?

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
If ISU does this, I am done with college sports. NIL is already ruining it, as long as they did not bet on their school or against their school, this should be none of the NCAA's business.
1) they broke a state law in addition to an NCAA rule
2) the players are WELL aware that they were breaking the rules. Blame the rules all you want, I think it’s stupid too, but they have no one to blame but themselves

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020

Do you know of any student athletes at your time in college that were gambling? If not… this isn’t even remotely what’s going on here.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Slippery slope. Say an ISU football player is tight with an Iowa player, and he learns through hearsay that a lot of Iowa players are playing injured.

Imagine in this scenario that same player bets on Michigan playing Iowa that week knowing some knowledge of undisclosed injuries.....

Now - if it's an Iowa or ISU football player betting on golf or the superbowl or nfl, yeah I don't think that should be a wild multi game suspension, definitely not.

Status
Not open for further replies.