Game of Thrones Season 8

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Don't know where to put this, but Benioff and Weiss' next project got announced, which is an adaptation of The Three Body Problem, which is a VERY hard sci-fi book trilogy. I read the first one and promptly gave up and just read the synopsis of the last two on wikipedia. I am a fan of sci-fi, but it was way too much even for me. Plus, conceptually I don't think adapting it makes any sense. If they can pull this off with any success I will tip my cap to them.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Don't know where to put this, but Benioff and Weiss' next project got announced, which is an adaptation of The Three Body Problem, which is a VERY hard sci-fi book trilogy. I read the first one and promptly gave up and just read the synopsis of the last two on wikipedia. I am a fan of sci-fi, but it was way too much even for me. Plus, conceptually I don't think adapting it makes any sense. If they can pull this off with any success I will tip my cap to them.

I'm sure they can wrap it all up in about an hour.:jimlad:

Reactions: SolarGarlic

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I'm about 250 pages through Three Body Problem currently and I am loving it. Some of the physics and astrology aspects are over my head/I had to self teach myself on some things, but overall, I've been fascinated.

How D&D choose to tell this story will be a big indicator of how the show will go, imo. That being said, they have proven they can adapt already "completed" stories pretty well, so I'm cautiously optimistic about what they come up with.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I agree with you guys. Since these books are finished, unlike George R.R’s GoT, I have hope that it could be the next great television show.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm about 250 pages through Three Body Problem currently and I am loving it. Some of the physics and astrology aspects are over my head/I had to self teach myself on some things, but overall, I've been fascinated.

How D&D choose to tell this story will be a big indicator of how the show will go, imo. That being said, they have proven they can adapt already "completed" stories pretty well, so I'm cautiously optimistic about what they come up with.
Astrology or astronomy? I hope you aren't taking the time to self teach pseudoscience.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think GRRM’s ending will get tons of heat because once it’s finished by Brandon Sanderson after he dies everybody will say it sucked too.

In all seriousness it’s incredibly difficult to finish a long book series or TV show well. Pretty much everybody hates the endings of shows and long book series’. Again, that’s why Harry Potter especially is such an achievement. Even Endgame landed it pretty well.
Especially since he has stopped writing

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

How they will handle him playing Three Body will be... interesting.

Just don't take too many liberties with the plot and it should be good. The trilogy is basically over an outrageous number of years though, so who knows how they plan to bring it to the screen.

That might have been part of the appeal to them. Supposedly the actors in GoT got really tired of it. Each book, and even within the books, the characters change due to the amount of time they cover.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
She was STUNNINGLY beautiful to me. And a quick biting tongue. I loved her. Lady Tyrell was hands down my favorite character on GoT and it's because she did it so flawlessly.
Absolutely. She would have been gorgeous in any time period.

Reactions: dahliaclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
How they will handle him playing Three Body will be... interesting.

That might have been part of the appeal to them. Supposedly the actors in GoT got really tired of it. Each book, and even within the books, the characters change due to the amount of time they cover.
Yeah, it will be really interesting to see. I think Three Body could be the coolest aspect of the show if they do it right. When the news first came out I had mixed emotions, then I started talking myself into it going to be great because I felt a completed story would benefit D&D, now I am starting to get more worried it could go really poorly. Being that it is their first big venture on Netflix, I have confidence Netflix will throw as much money at it as they need to bring their vision to life.

Crossing my fingers that it's as impressive on the screen as it is as I create in my mind while reading haha. I keep on having visions of how Three Body's world would look while the human supercomputer is running haha