Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Can this be turned back on to a full forum so it get some use? People can never find out how to opt in and we always have to run to @JStanz51.

It has 2 whole post in the last week, I think people can take it.

Also it's called Gaming and Hobbies, maybe if it were public more hobbies would be posted.

People will be able to deal with a mafia thread or 2. It's not like RTT is causing mass migration from the site. Maybe it should be relegated to off topic and made opt in.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Can this be turned back on to a full forum so it get some use? People can never find out how to opt in and we always have to run to @JStanz51.

It has 2 whole post in the last week, I think people can take it.

Also it's called Gaming and Hobbies, maybe if it were public more hobbies would be posted.

People will be able to deal with a mafia thread or 2. It's not like RTT is causing mass migration from the site. Maybe it should be relegated to off topic and made opt in.

This doesn't even appear in my forum list, and I haven't been able to locate where to opt in (I haven't been sure that it was even a thing), so that probably hasn't helped traffic.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
absolutely_right_zoolander.gif

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
The whole reason it became opt-in forever ago was because people were constantly complaining about always having a mafia thread in the list.

Now we always have a RTT thread in the list and there have been zero complaints about that.

I think people have learned to ignore threads they don't want to read.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
The whole reason it became opt-in forever ago was because people were constantly complaining about always having a mafia thread in the list.

Now we always have a RTT thread in the list and there have been zero complaints about that.

I think people have learned to ignore threads they don't want to read.

<should have> learned

Reactions: WhatchaGonnaDo

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Yes this is the issue. Anytime we get a new mafia player it's a multiple day issue of fighting their way in from Stanzy.
Yep, it took me several days to get into a mafia game recently. I didn't even know that I wasn't subscribed to the forum, and once I started sending PMs to moderators, I didn't get added to the forums until days later, when the game had already started. The experience was nuts.

I don't understand why this forum is on double-secret probation.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yep, it took me several days to get into a mafia game recently. I didn't even know that I wasn't subscribed to the forum, and once I started sending PMs to moderators, I didn't get added to the forums until days later, when the game had already started. The experience was nuts.

I don't understand why this forum is on double-secret probation.

So how do you get there?

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
The forum should be made to be able to opt out. There’s an absolute max of 3 gaming threads on the front page and that’s very rare. The old site had a place where you can opt-in/out where the new site you have to go through mods to do it.

It would be nice someday to be able to pick which sub forums you can see. CF people can’t control that happening, it’s the software company behind the software but would be a cool feature.

Last edited:

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
So how do you get there?
I don't, now. I had a bad experience playing mafia, and opted out again. lol :p

TL;DR answer: I think it takes a mod doing something manual to make it happen. There isn't anything in my profile (that I could find) to opt into the G&H forum.

The signup for that particular game was in a forum that wasn't the Gaming and Hobbies forum. I got a PM with my role, but then never saw the actual game thread startup. Then I got a message from Fitzy asking me if I was still planning on playing, since I hadn't posted at all and was about to get clapped. Turns out that I couldn't see the forum at all.

I messaged Angie and Jannicus asking if they could update my profile so I could see the forum. I think they were busy because it took a few days, but they did something, and then I was able to see the forum.

Then I felt bad a week later when I asked them to opt me out again. :oops:

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I know tons of users here are also gamers and would love a more active place to discuss console gaming. You PC clowns can suck it.