General (non-ISU) Wrestling Twitter/News Thread

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Huge wrestling news. I wondered how the cut would be for him and Daton to actually make day-of 57kg. I know he is best buddies with Yianni but his best option might be to try to grow into 65kg.

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
Decided to kill some time digging into this a bit more. What a waste Bono has been at UW. In a make believe world where the Badgers team was comprised only of AWA wrestlers, here's the collection of talent.

Returning NCAA Qualifiers
  • 141 - Greyson Clark (Purdue)
  • 157 - Matt Bianchi (Little Rock)
  • 165 - Mitchell Mesenbrink (Penn State)
  • 165 - Joey Bianchi (Little Rock)
  • 174 - Keegan O'Toole (Mizzou)
  • 174 - Noah Mulvaney (Bucknell)
  • 184 - Parker Keckeisen (UNI)
Other Current Wrestlers on D1 Rosters
  • 125 - Preston Spray (Mizzou)
  • 125 - Wyatt Skebba (Central Michigan)
  • 133 - Jager Eisch (Minnesota)
  • 141 - Brayden Sonnentag (Wyoming)
  • 157 - Braeden Scholes (lllionis)
  • 165 - Zane Licht (NDSU)
  • 165 - Brant Cracraft (Campbell)
  • 174 - Ethan Riddle (Minnesota)
  • 184 - Clayton Whiting (Mizzou)
In-coming True Freshman on D1 Rosters
  • 133 - Lucas Peters (Indiana)
  • 141 - Tyson Peach (SDSU)
  • 149 - Wyatt DuChateau (Minnesota)
  • 174 - Charlie Millard (Minnesota)
  • 174 - Jake Stoffel (Mizzou)
  • 174 - Nash Banko (Army)
  • 197 - Aeoden Sinclair (Mizzou)
  • 197 - Connor Mirasola (Penn State)
  • 197 - Silas Dailey (Minnesota)
  • 285 - Cole Mirasola (Penn State)
Ranked or D1 Committed High Schoolers
  • 113 - Haakon Peterson (2026) - #6 at 113
  • 138 - Kellen Wolbert (2026) - #19 at 138
  • 150 - Danny Heiser (2025) - Mizzou commit
  • 165 - Liam Crook (2026) - #14 at 165
You could assemble a 2025 team with potentially three champs (Mesenbrink, O'Toole, Keckeisen), what I'd assume are immediate AA threats at 197 (Mirasola or Sinclair) and 285 (Mirasola), and I'd say three more qualifiers (Clark and then cut the Bianchi's down a weight each). Crazy for that to come out of one club in Madison's backyard and for Bono to get ZERO out of it.
Does he spread hate of ISU that none are coming down to us?

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Does he spread hate of ISU that none are coming down to us?
I don't think so. There will always be the Mizzou connection for the top AWA guys, Penn State of course is always a player for the real high end guys (Mesenbrink and Mirasolas). Brandvold at Minnesota does a really good job recruiting in Wisconsin. Keckeisen of course is a bit of an exception, he was a late riser like Mesenbrink but has stuck to his commitment to UNI which is obviously admirable.

Doesn't seem like we recruit Wisconsin much and there are some natural relationship draws elsewhere.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

Doesn’t look like Cornell is going anywhere even after losing greats like Vito and Yianni and Cardenas to the portal/end of Ivy eligibility. They are doing a lot even with the rules of not being able to get portal transfers.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
It’s not really a new deal. UW has most of their Olympic sport coaches on perpetual 5 year deals. They get one year extensions every year. Its odd.

• Informative
Reactions: CyDegen

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Call me ignorant but what has he done to justify that??
Personally I don't get all the hate for coach Bono. He's a Cyclone national champ who along with coach Reader (another Cyclone champ) pushed the SDSU program to the next level. They have since took over a Wisconsin program that was in a major slump and are working to rebuild that program.

I know Bono screwed up when he was a young coach in the handling of Ben Askren but I'd bet he learned a valuable lesson and both he and Ben have long since moved pass that. One could speculate that ending up at Missouri helped make Ben the success he is today.

I've also had a lot of personal interaction with Coach Bono when he was around Ames and beyond and he's always been respectful to me and to those around him.

I also question how much support they get from the UofW administration and boosters. It's clear that SDSU has backed that program but I'm not sure about the backing in Madison.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Personally I don't get all the hate for coach Bono. He's a Cyclone national champ who along with coach Reader (another Cyclone champ) pushed the SDSU program to the next level. They have since took over a Wisconsin program that was in a major slump and are working to rebuild that program.

I know Bono screwed up when he was a young coach in the handling of Ben Askren but I'd bet he learned a valuable lesson and both he and Ben have long since moved pass that. One could speculate that ending up at Missouri helped make Ben the success he is today.

I've also had a lot of personal interaction with Coach Bono when he was around Ames and beyond and he's always been respectful to me and to those around him.

I also question how much support they get from the UofW administration and boosters. It's clear that SDSU has backed that program but I'm not sure about the backing in Madison.
Have he and Ben moved past their rift? Has Wisconsin landed a single AWA kid recently?

I have nothing against Coach Bono and hopefully he can get Wisconsin moving up the Big Ten ranks.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

I’ve talked with Bono and Reader both a couple times in recent years and have nothing but good things to say. Both were great to talk with and super respectful. They were genuinely good guys. I only say that I know askren doesn’t like bono because of their past

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I’ve talked with Bono and Reader both a couple times in recent years and have nothing but good things to say. Both were great to talk with and super respectful. They were genuinely good guys. I only say that I know askren doesn’t like bono because of their past
How do you "know Askren doesn't like Bono " ? Did you hear this directly from Askren? If so how recently was this? Askren doesn't seem like the kind of guy to hold a grudge for all these years. I listen to FLR and have never heard him say anything negative about Bono or Wisconsin wrestling.

Reactions: matclone

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
How do you "know Askren doesn't like Bono " ? Did you hear this directly from Askren? If so how recently was this? Askren doesn't seem like the kind of guy to hold a grudge for all these years. I listen to FLR and have never heard him say anything negative about Bono or Wisconsin wrestling.
You think out of all the AWA kids none of them want to wrestle for their only in-state college that, oh ya, happens to be in the BIG10! There is only 1 awa kid over the past last 4 or 5 years including recent commits that I can think of off the top of my head. It’s kind of a known thing and been talked about elsewhere.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Askren resigned from Wisconsin RTC and said it was because of a lack of leadership . Before that called out Bono about use of practice facilities. Wasn’t happy when they didn’t renew McDonoughs contract . If you read the Wisconsin boards it’s pretty well known