General (non-ISU) Wrestling Twitter/News Thread

Cyclonewrestlingfan2022

May 30, 2023
Looks like the David Taylor announcement is coming tonight. Marks my words and I will call it. David Taylor is going to have them competing against Penn state. Such a great great higher if this goes through by Oklahoma State.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
You have to hire David Taylor if you can. Can’t be the team that chose not too if he wanted the job because you’ll look silly if he takes a job elsewhere and crushes it.

That said, I’m not as convinced as most seem to be that he’s going to be Cael 2.0

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Slippery slope. I bet Brooks/PSU gets away with it. Probably has a script and just didn’t file it correctly. Some technicality like that.
This is what I have been reading and that he had the NCAA therapeutic exemption but didn’t file or something screwed up with his filing for USA wrestling -two different entities, I don’t believe his NCAA status is in question

Reactions: enisthemenace

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
Seems to have some legs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240506_212218_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240506_212218_Facebook.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 87

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
You have to hire David Taylor if you can. Can’t be the team that chose not too if he wanted the job because you’ll look silly if he takes a job elsewhere and crushes it.

That said, I’m not as convinced as most seem to be that he’s going to be Cael 2.0
I’m really confused about this. John Smith, while being a complete a-hat, is the face of Oklahoma state wrestling for the last 3 decades. Not a Mt. Rushmore type but truly an all-timer. He has a protege that has been hired to be the successor, retires early, and then OSU is playing footsy with someone else?

Scott might not have half the potential as Taylor from a coaching standpoint, but there is no way OSU does anything without JS blessing it, right? I would like to know the real story of what’s been happening in Stillwater the last couple years

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I’m really confused about this. John Smith, while being a complete a-hat, is the face of Oklahoma state wrestling for the last 3 decades. Not a Mt. Rushmore type but truly an all-timer. He has a protege that has been hired to be the successor, retires early, and then OSU is playing footsy with someone else?

Scott might not have half the potential as Taylor from a coaching standpoint, but there is no way OSU does anything without JS blessing it, right? I would like to know the real story of what’s been happening in Stillwater the last couple years
Unhappy big money boosters

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
So how many years til they win a title?

In this transfer climate, a team title is doable within 3 years imo. However it remains to be seen if Taylor is super desirable (I assume he is) for kids to wrestle for. What he won’t have is the allure of the NLWC.