General (non-ISU) Wrestling Twitter/News Thread

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I will be very happy to see the demise of John Smith style wrestling. He was undoubtedly a GOAT-level wrestler. The style he came to coach, however, was calculated for success at the expense of entertaining wrestling. Play the edge, counter, stall, and gripe for calls. Good riddance to this.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
The guy is cringy at every step of the way. Pretty pathetic he’s trying to jab at DT for taking the head coaching job - a guy who has accomplished more than he has.
I think Starocci is as cringe worthy as they come but, in fairness to him, he’s actually got more tangible results at this point that DT did at the same age. Four timer and a U23 world bronze. Now I know David being only two-timer is a bit misleading given the competition, but is reality. Also didn’t make a world team until he was like 28, of course only because he’s been up against all-timers.

Reactions: cyputz

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I think Starocci is as cringe worthy as they come but, in fairness to him, he’s actually got more tangible results at this point that DT did at the same age. Four timer and a U23 world bronze. Now I know David being only two-timer is a bit misleading given the competition, but is reality. Also didn’t make a world team until he was like 28, of course only because he’s been up against all-timers.
Yeah you can take an objective view at it and say he’s done better so fair in his career. But subjectively speaking I’d put David ahead of him at every step of the way so far. David had 2 losses in his whole college career, one being to Kyle Dake, so I’d say they had comparable careers but DT was far more dominate. Carter might be dominate in freestyle if he grows into 86kg and brooks goes up to 97kg, but time will tell. He will have plenty of challengers at 86 in the next cycle unless he runs away to mma

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
Did we lock up Barclaugh before this?

Yeah you can take an objective view at it and say he’s done better so fair in his career. But subjectively speaking I’d put David ahead of him at every step of the way so far. David had 2 losses in his whole college career, one being to Kyle Dake, so I’d say they had comparable careers but DT was far more dominate. Carter might be dominate in freestyle if he grows into 86kg and brooks goes up to 97kg, but time will tell. He will have plenty of challengers at 86 in the next cycle unless he runs away to mma
He actually had 3 loses, to 2 people (Bubba x1 and Dake x2).

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
He actually had 3 loses, to 2 people (Bubba x1 and Dake x2).
And Carter has 4 losses (2 of which are MFF). He’s really only lost two matches.

David is a flashier wrestler, but I would take Starocci as well at this point in their careers. Taylor really had fairly weak competition during his career. He never beat another NCAA champion and Starocci has multiple wins over multiple champions.

With 79 kg a weight now, I don’t see any reason that Starocci won’t make a world team at a much younger age than Taylor ever did.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
And Carter has 4 losses (2 of which are MFF). He’s really only lost two matches.

David is a flashier wrestler, but I would take Starocci as well at this point in their careers. Taylor really had fairly weak competition during his career. He never beat another NCAA champion and Starocci has multiple wins over multiple champions.

With 79 kg a weight now, I don’t see any reason that Starocci won’t make a world team at a much younger age than Taylor ever did.
Beat St. John 3x his freshman year. Destroyed everyone in his path from that point forward outside Kyle Dake, pre rule change which would have given him more majors and tech falls.

Carter is really good no doubt. I don’t know if he will go back down to 79kg or try to grow into a full 86kg now, but he’s never seeing 74. JB could keep him off the team this year at 79 if both try

1CycloneWrestlingFan

Jan 5, 2020
Beat St. John 3x his freshman year. Destroyed everyone in his path from that point forward outside Kyle Dake, pre rule change which would have given him more majors and tech falls.

Carter is really good no doubt. I don’t know if he will go back down to 79kg or try to grow into a full 86kg now, but he’s never seeing 74. JB could keep him off the team this year at 79 if both try
Dont forget Chance, who's beaten both at 79

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

The fact we didn’t qualify this weight at pan ams is pathetic. I could be wrong but I don’t think Zain gets it done with his weight issues

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
CStar is kind of cringy but he's still a way better trash talker than Gable. That WWF deal was over before it ever began

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Can someone please post the previous Twitter post(s) from a third party that claimed a certain person is financing the David Taylor hire. (I can’t find it)

I have a colleague who is OSU grad and I just want to share the name of the big backer.

TIA!

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Can someone please post the previous Twitter post(s) from a third party that claimed a certain person is financing the David Taylor hire. (I can’t find it)

I have a colleague who is OSU grad and I just want to share the name of the big backer.

TIA!
I posted it this morning