George Conditt playing for Puerto Rico FIBA U18 Team

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Congratulations to George for making the Puerto Rico Team.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...18-team-fiba-americas-championship/591250002/

We are excited that George will be able to represent Puerto Rico this summer,” Iowa State coach Steve Prohm said in a news release from the athletics department. "This is a special opportunity for George and his family, as well as our program. He will compete against great competition and we’ll look forward to following him.”

Conditt, of Chicago, will train with the team in San Juan, Puerto Rico, for a week starting May 27. For the second week of training, the team will move to the west coast of the island to train in Aguada.

Conditt and his teammates later will depart for the 2018 FIBA Americas U18 Championship, which will be held June 10-16 in St. Catharines, Canada. The top four finishing teams will qualify for the 2019 U19 World Cup for Men.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Great for both of them. Great experience. However, I honestly wonder what would be better for Iowa State's team, them playing for these under 18 events or practicing with the team for that time and building chemistry with the guys they will be playing with for the next how many years?

• Agree
Reactions: ILikeCy

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Great for both of them. Great experience. However, I honestly wonder what would be better for Iowa State's team, them playing for these under 18 events or practicing with the team for that time and building chemistry with the guys they will be playing with for the next how many years?

Valid question, I am off the opinion there is plenty of time for the team to build chemistry over the rest of the summer. Getting the opportunity to play against the best of their peers for a month can give them confidence and an opportunity to see where they can improve. Especially with the top coaching they will receive. They will get more out of that than missing a hand full of practices and playing in CCL. Especially benificial for a player like Conditt who isn't expected to play a big role in year one.
Wigginton played on team Canada last year, won the tourney and still made it back to Ames (even mad a couple CCL games). I don't think it hurt LW's chemistry/development.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Valid question, I am off the opinion there is plenty of time for the team to build chemistry over the rest of the summer. Getting the opportunity to play against the best of their peers for a month can give them confidence and an opportunity to see where they can improve. Especially with the top coaching they will receive. They will get more out of that than missing a hand full of practices and playing in CCL. Especially benificial for a player like Conditt who isn't expected to play a big role in year one.
Wigginton played on team Canada last year, won the tourney and still made it back to Ames (even mad a couple CCL games). I don't think it hurt LW's chemistry/development.
This is debatable. I'm not saying LW was a problem, but it's obvious we had chemistry issues on our team. I think I would have rather had our entire team on campus all of last summer, and I feel the same way about THT and Conditt for this year. WTS, it is a great honor for them and you can't hold them back from taking advantage of those individual opportunities and experiences.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

I think it's more valuable to play on the under 18 team as you would get coaching vs. pick up games with future team mates in Ames. There is also the additional benefit of playing games against organized competition at a high level, which should build more confidence in him.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So could THT and Conditt play each other again, theoretically?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006

I think for George it's better than THT. I wish THT could play with and practice with Iowa State. Since I think he is the more ready to play right away player. I think it helps George to play against some international and we don't really need him to get used to the rest of the team yet.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
The U18 Championships are June 10-16. Let’s not act like they’re going to be gone all summer. They’ll be gone for the first two weeks of the summer if they both play. They’ll have plenty of time to train, practice and develop chemistry with the rest of the team. It’s a no brainer.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
This is debatable. I'm not saying LW was a problem, but it's obvious we had chemistry issues on our team. I think I would have rather had our entire team on campus all of last summer, and I feel the same way about THT and Conditt for this year. WTS, it is a great honor for them and you can't hold them back from taking advantage of those individual opportunities and experiences.

I'm actually not sure if this is sarcasm or not.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
I'm actually not sure if this is sarcasm or not.
Why would you think there is any sarcasm in that? Prohm said it himself on CW's podcast that there were chemistry problems on the team last year. My statement was about the team as a whole, not about LW specifically.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Why would you think there is any sarcasm in that? Prohm said it himself on CW's podcast that there were chemistry problems on the team last year. My statement was about the team as a whole, not about LW specifically.

Why I agree the chemistry never got to where Coach Prohm wanted last year I don't think that was a result of Lindell not getting to campus till July instead of June.
I think the chemistry issues were due to having a number of new players integrating and the sustaining injuries that hurt the ability to of them practice/play together during the season. Losing Babb, Young, Brase, Long, and Talley for extended periods lead to players needed to play unexpected roles with little prior experience..

• Agree
Reactions: peteypie

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Maybe they will give George an extra cheeseburger or two...Is it just me or does it seem strange not to put an S on that name?

Reactions: Cyclonepride