"Get off my lawn!" music thread

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I've never wanted to become the old "get off my lawn" guy... but when it comes to music, I feel like I'm quickly becoming that unfortunately.

I know there is some great music still being put out there today by some artists, but this whole Taylor Swift thing has got me wondering if the best times of music have long passed us by?

For example... just listen to these videos below and tell me who is putting out music this good nowadays?

Here's another "old guy" like me that seems to feel similarly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQoWUtsVFV0

Please give me hope for the future of music!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You didn’t even listen to her album and you’re complaining about how bad it is?

Men really do be hatin successful women

Wow... a triggered Swifty. Love it. I have listened to a couple of her new songs. And by no means is Taylor Swift an example of "bad" music of today... her music is WAY better than most. I was just saying that this whole Swifty thing just got me thinking about it. As Rick Beato says in his video above... a much better example of horrible music from today would be Jack Harlow. Just terrible.

I didn't mean to insinuate that Taylor's music belonged in the same category as a Jack Harlow at all. But as someone did mention.. most of her songs do have the same chord progressions.

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Good music is still out there, it's just not played on the radio IMO. Dig around spotify and you can find hidden gems that don't get as much publicity as they should.

I agree. I do like some of the music today, it just seems like we've really lost a lot over the last several decades.

RKS is an example of music from today that I like....

Reactions: bots

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Wow... a triggered Swifty. Love it. I have listened to a couple of her new songs. And by no means is Taylor Swift an example of "bad" music of today... her music is WAY better than most. I was just saying that this whole Swifty thing just got me thinking about it. As Rick Beato says in his video above... a much better example of horrible music from today would be Jack Harlow. Just terrible.

I didn't mean to insinuate that Taylor's music belonged in the same category as a Jack Harlow at all. But as someone did mention.. most of her songs do have the same chord progressions.

Here's to hoping you're seeing the irony in this.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Art is subjective so I try not to bag on music I dont appriciate.

I'm a classic rock guy. Maybe the time has passed for that genre. I hope not though

Off the off topic: when did classic rock become labeled 'classic rock'? Like was it called just rock in the 70s?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Art is subjective so I try not to bag on music I dont appriciate.

I'm a classic rock guy. Maybe the time has passed for that genre. I hope not though

Totally agree. I love almost every genre of music and try to appreciate all of it. That's what has me upset with myself though... falling into the "get off my lawn" old guy stereotype on music of today. I don't like that I'm finding myself becoming that guy. I don't want to!

Reactions: Althetuna

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Here's to hoping you're seeing the irony in this.

Yep, totally get it. And I don't like that I'm falling into this hole!

Everyone appreciates different kinds of art... and I need to just accept that. Just find it hard sometimes.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Been saying this for years, music just isn't as good as it once was.

I think I grew up during the absolute pinnacle of music. Was a kid in the 70s, middle school and high school in the 80s and college and after in the 90s. The absolute best.

And I love all kinds of music, from heavy metal to rap to pop to old school country.

I don't get rap music at all today. There's no flow or cool beats. Most of them don't even rap, it's just auto-tune spoken word.

I will say that I do really like Billie Eilish and Halsey. Both are super talented.

But like you, most of the time I feel like a grumpy old man.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Been saying this for years, music just isn't as good as it once was.

I think I grew up during the absolute pinnacle of music. Was a kid in the 70s, middle school and high school in the 80s and college and after in the 90s. The absolute best.

And I love all kinds of music, from heavy metal to rap to pop to old school country.

I don't get rap music at all today. There's no flow or cool beats. Most of them don't even rap, it's just auto-tune spoken word.

I will say that I do really like Billie Eilish and Halsey. Both are super talented.

But like you, most of the time I feel like a grumpy old man.

I’m with you on the rap. I love some rap, as long as it has some actual music behind it. But I can’t stand the rap that is just yelling into a microphone and has no rhythm or music behind it at all.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
This feels like every Youtube video of a classic rock song where the top comment is "I'm 14 and I think this music is so much better than music today!"

Reactions: Mr Janny

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Classic stuff is hit and miss too. For every "wish you were here", "foxy lady", or "flashlight" -- theres a whole bunch of "muskrat love".

I will say the overall muscianship is way lower now. You dont have to be an amazing musician or singer, just have some kind of fame and/or sex appeal. You dont think of Pink Floyd in terms of musical skill but go listen to David Gilmour on guitar, he channels so much emotion.

Theres great stuff out there today too. If you like blues at all, try Tedeschi Trucks. Fantastic and even better live.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Music isn’t getting worse, you’re all just nostalgic for music that occurred during your formative years.

You're not wrong, most people think they music they grew up on is the best.

But there are music theorists out there who say that actual song writing peaked in the 60s/70s and ever since Pro Tools has become a thing, musicianship has gone downhill. Musicians don't have to really master their craft or play perfectly when recording because Pro Tools can fix just about anything. They think even live music has suffered because of that.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Off the off topic: when did classic rock become labeled 'classic rock'? Like was it called just rock in the 70s?
I would say mid-1980s. New wave and punk came along, Southern rock rode off into the sunset, and music like that of the '60s and '70s could only be heard on oldies stations. If you look at the history of music, other than pop songs, it's all about going back and reworking stuff from the past. 50s rock and roll was a fusion of blues and country. Much of the '60s was reworking blues, folk and country songs. There's a huge move now in roots and Americana music to revive those older music songs and styles. There are great artists out there like Billie Strings, but you have to look for them.
I grew up in the 60s and 70s, which was probably a high point for creativity. Back then, music was considered important. "Do you believe in rock and roll? Can music save your mortal soul?" That day has passed and isn't coming back.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
IMO, the top end singers are better today than ever, but way back when, everyone on the radio could sing. Now, it’s more about marketing than singing.

Also, Swift isn’t a great singer. Great writer, but not singer.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
Classic stuff is hit and miss too. For every "wish you were here", "foxy lady", or "flashlight" -- theres a whole bunch of "muskrat love".

I will say the overall muscianship is way lower now. You dont have to be an amazing musician or singer, just have some kind of fame and/or sex appeal. You dont think of Pink Floyd in terms of musical skill but go listen to David Gilmour on guitar, he channels so much emotion.

Theres great stuff out there today too. If you like blues at all, try Tedeschi Trucks. Fantastic and even better live.
I agree over-all and am a big Tedeschi-Trucks fan, but I take exception on the Muskrat Love. I think it expressed the idea that people may be "unimportant" to the rest of the world, but their life and relationships are a big deal to them. It's kind of like the movie "Big Fish."